Linux.

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Kuros
Ensign
Ensign

Linux.

Post by Kuros »

A search of this forum didn't answer my question. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. Quite simply -

Is Linux support planned for Evochron Mercenary?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Linux.

Post by Vice »

Not currently. As much as I would like to port it over to Linux, the option is not feasible at this time. Dependencies within the development platform used for the game, custom module dependencies, and other conditions keep it tightly restricted to Windows compatibility. A few players have reported some success using certain Windows emulators over the years, but they have generally been few and far between. A dual boot to Windows is probably the best/only option.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Kuros
Ensign
Ensign

Linux.

Post by Kuros »

Thank you much Vice. :D
-Pv-
Ensign
Ensign

Linux.

Post by -Pv- »

If Windows games in general became available in Linux, I would dump Win entirely. Another problem besides those mentioned is controllers/joysticks and drivers which is a nightmare in Linux as is USB support. If these problems could be easily solved, you'd see a lot more Mac games too.

I wish the potential of OpenGL were available to solve all gaming compatibility problems.

-Pv-
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Linux.

Post by d3drocks »

It's been a few years since I've posted! wow!

In recent light of Microsoft's Windows 10 Spying situation, and the fact they are porting telemetry to windows 8 and windows 7, I'm starting a permanent switch to Linux when i build my next PC in the next few months. Personally, I value my privacy quite strongly, and you all should to. Also, Windows licenses are not cheap, and I really don't think it's cool for M$ to be charging people a high premium for an OS that is going to spy on them.

I'd love to keep playing Evochron, and it would be really nice if it porting Evochron to Linux would be considered. These days, especially with steam boxes, it may not be a bad idea either.

I've tried for ages to get mercenary to work in Wine on a secondary box, and I've been unsuccessful each time so far sadly :(.

I cant be the only Linux guy around, I know there are a few of you on here :p
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Linux.

Post by Vice »

Not sure this would work for you too (mileage on Linux may vary), but one Linux user (XeroXZone) posted on the Steam forum the following procedure that got the game to run well for them:

...would rate this on my system as silver or gold for winehq. Perhaps I've time to make a report there…

- create wine prefix (current dev build)
- install winetricks steam
- install further needed dll's (this was necessary on my system; openSUSE 13.2):
dinput; dinput8; d3dcompile_43; jscript; atl110; msvcp110; msvcr110; vcomp110; wmpcodecs;
wine in virtual desktop fixed to 1920 to 1080 pixels

There also a problem with the intro video: so you have to put a file into the game base directory named "novideo.txt" with the content "disable".
In your game base folder open a terminal and type: echo "disable" >> novideo.txt

The game works flawless with highest graphic settings. Also no sound problems, effects, music etc. all fine :) Joystick support also works with wine (full hotas support)!

Copied from:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/71000/dis ... 109041/#p2

And it's also posted on WineHQ here:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=27779
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Rook
Ensign
Ensign

Linux.

Post by Rook »

Thanks Vice, that's interesting.
From post: 180367, Topic: tid=12071, author=d3drocks wrote:I cant be the only Linux guy around, I know there are a few of you on here :p
You're not alone :)

I usually have a dual boot setup, but right now I only have Linux installed.

I miss Evochron, maybe I'll try running it with Wine.

[Edited on 7-9-2015 by Rook]
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Linux.

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

I also use Linux on my laptop, but I also multi-boot via usb.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Linux.

Post by PaulB »

From post: 172039, Topic: tid=12071, author=Vice wrote: Not currently. As much as I would like to port it over to Linux, the option is not feasible at this time. Dependencies within the development platform used for the game, custom module dependencies, and other conditions keep it tightly restricted to Windows compatibility. A few players have reported some success using certain Windows emulators over the years, but they have generally been few and far between. A dual boot to Windows is probably the best/only option.
I can't blame you much for not wanting to undertake the chore of porting to Linux, etc. I'm sure it wold be a huge task - and when I played and took some courses on Unix, Xenix, Linux in the past, well, it's a powerful OS and good for business & server applications but it's NOT a user friendly OS and the windowinf GUI they had (back then anyway) was not use friendly either.

But, I was wondering how hard woujld it be to port the EM server to Linux???

If you could do that then it might resolve the Distress Call & Reconnect glitches that occur under Windows and on top of that the EM community might be able to find some better willing and reliable EM server hosts which would be extremely welcome.
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Linux.

Post by d3drocks »

From post: 180379, Topic: tid=12071, author=PaulB wrote:[

I can't blame you much for not wanting to undertake the chore of porting to Linux, etc. I'm sure it wold be a huge task - and when I played and took some courses on Unix, Xenix, Linux in the past, well, it's a powerful OS and good for business & server applications but it's NOT a user friendly OS and the windowinf GUI they had (back then anyway) was not use friendly either.
Those days are long, long gone.
Examples:
https://elementary.io/
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0kuGECRYk (review of the above)
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

hell, even PC-BSD is a fairly user friendly desktop OS (I used it for a few months too!)

As for porting, the porting does not have to be done in house. Codeweavers for example offer a "porting" service of windows apps to osx and Linux. they've had some absolutely massive programs go through their services as well. https://www.codeweavers.com/services/

[Edited on 9-8-2015 by d3drocks]