Windows 10

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Windows 10

Post by Nigel_Strange »

The problem I wonder about is how Win10 makes the deterioration that you have pirated software. Does it simply disable anything that it doesn't recognize as legitimate?

Years ago, I think Microsoft blocked Netscape. They were rival companies, and didn't play nice together. Don't cite me on this, but I believe it can happen.
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Windows 10

Post by PaulB »

From post: 179799, Topic: tid=12037, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:The problem I wonder about is how Win10 makes the deterioration that you have pirated software. Does it simply disable anything that it doesn't recognize as legitimate?

Years ago, I think Microsoft blocked Netscape. They were rival companies, and didn't play nice together. Don't cite me on this, but I believe it can happen.
The impression I got from the article was that Win 10 reports to Microsoft (during one of the frequent update checks???) and Microsoft tells it to delete (uninstall) the pirated S/W or Game.

It will affect countries like the US & UK, etc. Do you think China, India, etc., etc. are going to abide by the terms of aggrement??? They will either just stick on Win 7 or 8 or hack their on versions of Windows 10. And it's China and India, etc. are are the biggest S/W & Hardware pirates.

IMO if law enforcement wants to go afterr Pirate then let them but I absolutely am against companies like Microsoft and others having control and deciding what they thing is best for my computer.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Windows 10

Post by Nigel_Strange »

My wife switched to win10 this morning. Then I found this article.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/windows- ... rnard-marr?

She then reverted back to Win 7.

I think I'll pass. Investigators keep finding new ways to defeat the privacy intrusions, but it's like buying a new house full of termites and trying to eliminate them one at a time. You won't find them all, and they'll continue to make more, even as you squish the ones that you know about.
Star King
Commander
Commander

Windows 10

Post by Star King »

Windows 10 works perfectly!!!
No problems at all!!!
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Windows 10

Post by SeeJay »

Works - Yes. But they gather information worse than a Virus! No thank you!
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Windows 10

Post by PaulB »

From post: 179828, Topic: tid=12037, author=SeeJay wrote:Works - Yes. But they gather information worse than a Virus! No thank you!
Amen, and in addition - what right do they have too use up the bandwidth I have to pay for to collect information?
It about the same as a neighbor mooching on your electric power.
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Windows 10

Post by Rubber Chicken »

From post: 179764, Topic: tid=12037, author=Rubber Chicken wrote:
From post: 179748, Topic: tid=12037, author=Noesis wrote:
I'd also completely forgotten about that annoying nag prompt. If you want to get rid of it, it's the scheduled tasks in "gwx" and "GWXTriggers" that start it up. Both can be found under Microsoft\\Windows\\Setup in Task Scheduler - just disable them all and it will stop it's nagging and stop the icon showing up in the tray.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :cool:
Hmm... Apparently Msoft doesn't think I have adequate authority, on my own machine no less, to disable the nag prompt. Definitely not :cool: .
:mad:
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Noesis
Ensign
Ensign

Windows 10

Post by Noesis »

From post: 179852, Topic: tid=12037, author=Rubber Chicken wrote:
Hmm... Apparently Msoft doesn't think I have adequate authority, on my own machine no less, to disable the nag prompt. Definitely not :cool: .
:mad:
Sorry it's been a while since I did it, I originally did it that way then an MS Update brought it back and I think I used Sysinternals Autoruns the second time (see link or search for autoruns). But yeah seems they blocked access via task scheduler. (seems to be a troubling and ongoing trend on MS's behalf).

It might pay to kill the GWX.exe process from Task Manager before doing it too (possibly need to show processes from all users to see the process?) - In fact you might be able to do it via Task Scheduler without the process running but also maybe not I'm guessing (I know I would have just killed the process first because I always did when that Icon showed up - and that will stop it but only until you next log on).

If you go with Autoruns, download it and run it (doesn't need installing). You will need to run as admin for these settings to be changeable which can be done on the original run or selecting the Run as Admin in the programs File Menu and then, in the options menu (at the top) the "Hide Microsoft Entries" & the "Hide Windows Entries" need to be unchecked. Enter gwx in the filter box (also need to have either the Everything tab or the Task Scheduler tab selected in the program, it should start with the Everything tab though). Then from the displayed list, Uncheck all the checkboxes and close the program.

The final option is to edit the registry manually (which is what Autoruns does for you). I'd recommend Autoruns personally (it's quite a useful and eyeopening utility when it comes to seeing & controlling what does start on startup) but if you've never heard of it I get that you might be hesitant to run a utility you've never heard of before especially at the admin level. FYI, It's also technically not a 3rd party app as MS bought Sysinternals quite some time ago.

Still a hell of a lot of bother just to stop something that should really have an inbuilt option to stop it (i.e. a don't tell me again option accessible from that damn icon :mad: )

[Edited on 20-8-2015 by Noesis]
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Windows 10

Post by Rubber Chicken »

^^^ Thanks, Noesis. :cool: I just came off of a few night shifts in a row, so I hadn't time to reply until now. I will definitely investigate further. :)
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Austin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Windows 10

Post by Austin »

Another useful tip, if you don't mind doing windows update manually is to delete KB3035583 and when you select what you want to download and install weekly, just uncheck that update. And voila, no more GWX.
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Windows 10

Post by d3drocks »

This is not a perfect solution for windows 10, but it's worth a shot if ur on windows 10 https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking
L_B_P
Ensign
Ensign

Windows 10

Post by L_B_P »

Running windows 10 on all my computers and helped my familie to get Windows 10.

Here what I do every time I upgrade a machine, that already have Windows 7 or Windows 8 installed.

1. Backup your files, favorit etc. before you start.
2. Accept the upgrade and let it run
3. Then finish or before you start you can download Windows 10 ISO file and burn a CD, see below
4. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
5. From Microsoft website select the x86 or x64 tool to run. it will then ask you what language, version etc. of Windows you want.
6. Then burned the CD, start a new installation and wipe your PC or laptop
7. Microsoft will remember your pc then you go through the installation. Then it ask for seriel number just select later, Windows will activated itself then it finish
8. You will now have a clean installation and media you always can install from if needed again. It worth spend that little ekstra time.

For privacy open the privacy and disable what you afraid of Microsoft should collect of data, there plenty of guides what to disable

You can unpark your CPu by using this tools Unpark-CPU-App, if you dont like to do regedit. http://www.coderbag.com/programming-c/d ... ng-utility

[Edited on 11-22-2015 by L_B_P]