Frame Sample Mesh

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
primedragoon
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by primedragoon »

So I found the one that came with the customization package, and I can't seem to open it or import it into blender. Anyone know how I could accomplish this, or pass me proper reference materials to use? Can anyone send me the model for the ships cockpit so I can play around with that too?

And does anyone know the specific position for the camera in the cockpit if so?

EDIT - I suppose a better question to ask would be how to get blender to import a .x model file and save or export into that format, or what process I must use to do this. Lol.

Double Edit: For anyone wondering, Blender version 2.49 available from Blender Foundations Webpage, is capable of importing and exporting to the Direct.x file format. If anyone is seeking this information.
[Edited on 4-26-2015 by primedragoon]

CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

OK, so this is different, thus far the only custom stuff I have done is with Adobe PS.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
primedragoon
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by primedragoon »

Yeah well, the infrastructure is apparently there too add new ships, at least as replacers. We can't add true new ships with out own stats and stuff, though that would be nice. (Hint hint.) Though I think mainly the problem at the moment is that there'd be no placeholder in Multiplayer, and there's no system in place you prevent you entering a server running that mod. (Invisible ship! Or something else broken or breaking!)

Why no one has done anything with it to this point, I have no idea. But I'll be trying to do as much as I can, and even if I fall short, I can at least push out two or three ships, and maybe shift a few gears in the community that'll result in an explosion of options, and possibly force vice to add the ability to add new ships.

I have some 'frame' of reference from the customization pack, though I'm not sure if the size represented there is whats currently part of the expanded universe, or if its from an older version of EM, thus causing me to render my first few attempts a tad on the small side.

In any event I'll be preparing a tester in the near future to address that issue, or question, as the case may be interpreted. At that point its just a matter of actually finding some cockpit interior material I can use as a size and location reference, then I want to pump out at least three custom ship interiors for each classification of ship. Light, Medium, and Heavy frames.

Assuming the exporting phase goes well later, should be fairly simple.
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by Capt_Caveman »

I use "LithUnwrap" to convert from .x to .obj or .3ds
you can convert many formats.

you can replace models, texture and sounds.
you cannot mod stats, specs, performance, etc.
of anything. nor can you add new equipment or options.
these are hard coded for fair play

[Edited on 4-26-2015 by Capt_Caveman]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by Marvin »

From post: 176416, Topic: tid=11888, author=primedragoon wrote:We can't add true new ships with out own stats and stuff, though that would be nice.
What the Captain said. This won't happen for reasons of fair play. It reminds me of how, in Combat Flight Simulator, some guy built the space ship from Independence Day and began bullying players of The Zone until a few guys "in the know" used game codes (they otherwise never would've used) to latch on to the modded ship and take it down. Same went for anyone modding the stats of a default aircraft to minimize the "hit" areas or increase maximum speed.
primedragoon
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by primedragoon »

It should be an option then. There should be in the multiplayer menu a check-box for unmodded or modded servers only, and even better would be servers that won't allow you to log-in without a specific set of mods, there-by assuring that everyone is playing in the same space and seeing the same things.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by DaveK »

All the servers are hosted by unpaid volunteers. I guess that if you are desperate to create a 'super ship' you might need to look elsewhere. EM is a free range sandbox created by one person who has a game philosophy and vision that you can see evolve over a long series of Starwraith games - I don't think that anyone will be able to 'force Vice' do add anything to his game. Persuade Vice (and the community) through reasoned arguments, perhaps - it's how the multitude of community requested changes and enhancements have been presented so far.

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
primedragoon
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by primedragoon »

There's nothing more forceful and convincing than causing another man to think as you do, and enjoy it when he does. :D

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by Marvin »

Assuming it was worth the time, I suppose it might be possible to add another check to the checks already made to the server when somebody attempts to log on. At least, that way, you could play with super ships by yourself, in SP, without violating good form in MP.
primedragoon
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by primedragoon »

I'm not after super ships anyways. Maybe play with flight characteristics and stuff, try a little rebalancing, relatively harmless stuff. What I know, an excaliber missile pack, and level 10 shields are more than enough to face off whatever the galaxy wants to send my way as is.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by SeeJay »

From post: 176449, Topic: tid=11888, author=primedragoon wrote:I'm not after super ships anyways. Maybe play with flight characteristics and stuff, try a little rebalancing, relatively harmless stuff. What I know, an excaliber missile pack, and level 10 shields are more than enough to face off whatever the galaxy wants to send my way as is.
LOL, an Excal-Pack is more or less useless in PvP!;) Each missile is way to weak on
it's own and you rarely hit with any of them if you face a decent pilot.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,
From post: 176461, Topic: tid=11888, author=SeeJay wrote:
From post: 176449, Topic: tid=11888, author=primedragoon wrote:LOL, an Excal-Pack is more or less useless in PvP!;) Each missile is way to weak on
Unless you de-cloak right behind someone and fire :P

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Most of us, at one time or another (like yesterday) have been on the receiving end of an accidental string of Excals. They can damage when your back is turned but they very seldom destroy (unless you've just upgraded your shields and they haven't recharged yet).
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by DaveK »

From post: 176461, Topic: tid=11888, author=SeeJay wrote:
From post: 176449, Topic: tid=11888, author=primedragoon wrote:What I know, an excaliber missile pack, and level 10 shields are more than enough to face off whatever the galaxy wants to send my way as is.
LOL, an Excal-Pack is more or less useless in PvP!;) Each missile is way to weak on
. . . and you have to fire all eight at once and it takes a long time to regenerate . . . hang on a sec - have I mentioned this before?:P
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
primedragoon
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by primedragoon »

I wasn't really speaking in multiplayer terms anyways, I've yet to even enguage anyone else who owns a copy of EM in combat. Just the computer in the general free roam universe. But, as it is now, I stand by my statement. It may take me 160 sommod seconds to regenerate a rack of missiles with the Excals, but I'm more than capable of putting 1000+ meters between me and my enemy and waiting out the recharge.

Given that I can thus use them to pick apart my enemies one at a time, and that those enemies seem entirely incapable of really dealing with that, outside of calling re-enforcements, an application of caution and patience results in the ability to methodically eliminate a seemingly infinite horde of enemies, without personal danger. Since I don't have to enter actual gun range.

Granted likely things would be a tad different in PVP, but that isn't my concern at the moment, and when it becomes my concern I'll likely adopt modified tactics of whatever sort I find suitable or efficient.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by DaveK »

@ 3 mins per recharge (180 seconds), that 20 kills per hour so you could do a four waypoint x 5 enemy combat contract in one hour - assuming you can guarantee one salvo one kill rates. You are a patient fighter, sir! :)
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I'm currently in a hostile system I call "the weed sector" ... 'cause, for every Rebel I kill in a 9-enemy contract, two more show up.
primedragoon
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by primedragoon »

Meh, I'm more likely to be patient and take my time with the much larger groups. Like 3+ waypoint patrol missions, with 60+ fighters overall for you to destroy. Then I'll tru to reduce the overall numbers with missiles, then use distance control and the, eh heh, 'monty python maneuver', which is what we from Escape Velocity called flying backwards and shooting at what follows you because you now have superior range. I do the same thing with my cannons, you can hit stuff just outside the range of MDTS, though it requires a bit of figuring. But honestly I could probably take quite a lot, I already feel pretty comfortable now. After doing a few runs in the Pearl system, I've got enough money to keep my happy for a while.

Given that and the equipment I have, plus what I've learned from trial and error and the tutorials I watched waaaay back sometime last year about combat, and I'm doing fine. Class ten shields and balls for the win. You can take quite a beating and still manage to get away, and I'm honestly shocked you can equalize your shields instantly across all emitters. That just feels cheap, the AI should do it too.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by Marvin »

:cool: It's the AI that's cheap. They don't want to waste energy ... which is what happens when you divert energy from one shield to another.
primedragoon
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Frame Sample Mesh

Post by primedragoon »

I guess living is more expensive than dying, which makes the rest of us hard spenders. :D