[EM 2.888] Font Problem * FIXED *

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
AdmiralZorg
Ensign
Ensign

Post by AdmiralZorg »

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get a screen resolution that provides legible fonts. In most resolutions, the fonts are too large for the frames they appear in and are cut off at the top, bottom or both. Often they are also squashed together and slightly overlapping. This is most problematical in the contracts display in the inventory console. I've attached a screen print of the best I can get using the game's "optimal resolution" setting. Any help?

[file]977[/file]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

What is the maximum resolution your system is capable of running a 3D game in? I'd first suggest trying to set the resolution to that value manually, rather than 'Optimized'. It could be that you are running the game in a low enough resolution that the text becomes difficult to read.

Have you modified/changed the DPI/Font settings in Windows? It's possible one or more external changes has impacted the appearance of the font in the game. Both default fonts should fit just fine in menus and buttons, so if they aren't there could be some external factor(s) impacting the fonts in the game.

If you are using mods, remove them to test further. Some mods may modify fonts in unwanted ways.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
AdmiralZorg
Ensign
Ensign

Post by AdmiralZorg »

From post: 175193, Topic: tid=11798, author=Vice wrote:What is the maximum resolution your system is capable of running a 3D game in? I'd first suggest trying to set the resolution to that value manually, rather than 'Optimized'. It could be that you are running the game in a low enough resolution that the text becomes difficult to read.

Have you modified/changed the DPI/Font settings in Windows? It's possible one or more external changes has impacted the appearance of the font in the game. Both default fonts should fit just fine in menus and buttons, so if they aren't there could be some external factor(s) impacting the fonts in the game.

If you are using mods, remove them to test further. Some mods may modify fonts in unwanted ways.
Thanks, Vice. My monitor's native resolution is 2560x1440. I've attached a partial screen print of the contracts section of the inventory screen showing how lousy the font is at that resolution. Oddly, the text in my cockpit displays is not so bad. On looking at the contract frame carefully, a big factor in it's illegibility is the variable shading of the text. Some parts of the letters fade to almost nothing. Is there any way for me to substitute another scalable font in the game that would not be shaded and that would have a better contrasting color?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

If that image is to scale, it doesn't appear you are running the game anywhere near that resolution. So again, I would suggest setting the resolution manually in the Options menu, then restarting the game. The game will detect what resolutions your system reports back are available, so if 2560X1440 isn't reported by your driver for whatever reason, try something else like 1920X1080 if it's detected. Make sure your desktop resolution is also not set to something really low and not native to your monitor's resolution.

You can change the font using the options specified in the customizing kit. but until you can sort out the low resolution issue that is causing the characters to be clipped, I suspect you'll run into the same problem with other font options as well.
StarWraith 3D Games
AdmiralZorg
Ensign
Ensign

Post by AdmiralZorg »

Vice, first I want to thank you for being so responsive! Yes, that image was at 2560x1440. That's the resolution I have set for Win 8.1 and that's what it reports as my desktop resolution. EM let me pick 2560x1440. It made the initial selection screen very small and hard to read. Once I launched, the cockpit text was legible, but the inventory screen was still hard to make out as shown in the image. I can't understand why the cockpit text appears much better. I'll keep dinking around with it. Do like the game - just can't wait to get through cleaning solar arrays and zapping asteroids. Getting tired of playing space janitor! :P
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Please send me a full quality, full resolution screenshot from the game via e-mail (starwraith.com > contact, PNG format would be fine), I'd like to take a look at it further. It certainly appears the text layer is rendering way below 2560X1440 for some reason. Please also attach your sw.cfg file from the save data folder (default location is c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary).

Edit: also please send a zipped msinfo report on your system. Steps to do that are available here: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8

You don't need to send the save game, just the msinfo report.

[Edited on 2-4-2015 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
AdmiralZorg
Ensign
Ensign

Post by AdmiralZorg »

Vice - OK, I'm an idiot. I installed the demo to a drive other than C:. To get to the sw.cfg file, I right clicked on the game icon and went to properties to open the game folder. That's when I noticed I had set the demo to run in Windows 7 mode at 640x480 mode. It didn't run in Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit at my resolution. I believe the demo was an earlier version. When I reset compatibility to Win 8 and unchecked the 640x480 mode, I restarted the game. IT LOOKS MARVELOUS AND THE TEXT IS PERFECT!! Thanks for making me look for the sw.cfg file! (Never did find it ... ) The game is great, even though I'm still cleaning those darned solar panels ... :P

PS: Finally did find the sw.cfg file on my C: drive. First line calls for 2560x1440.

[Edited on 2-4-2015 by AdmiralZorg]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, glad you got it sorted. Thanks for the follow up.
StarWraith 3D Games