Comparison to Elite Dangerous?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Marvin: you hit the nail on the head, there, I think. Some game designers have wonderous ideas, but then they listen over-much to the screamy ninnies and dumb it down, which ends up ruining the game for everyone else.

Fighting backward is pretty standard fair in Newtonian space. I call them Parthian tactics (because that's what they are). Don't like it? Fight in an asteroid field. That Parthian thing won't last long there, hehe.
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

I love flying backwards destroying people with an Excalibur pack.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
Iron man
Commander
Commander

Post by Iron man »

From post: 172065, Topic: tid=11542, author=CS-ACI- wrote:Hello,

Steve

Looking forward to see you firing on me them :cool:
steam name : x iron man
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,
From post: 172293, Topic: tid=11542, author=Iron man wrote:
From post: 172065, Topic: tid=11542, author=CS-ACI- wrote:Hello,

Steve

Looking forward to see you firing on me them :cool:
As and when I get back to my former status and equipment levels, you may well be killed by me. But you wont get too see me much. :P

Although I have not played for a long time, I do remember the techniques employed to fire at 200M and then re-cloak.

I also love battles when docked as some may remember, so that was not a good way to hide from me.

Steve
[/align]
Iron man
Commander
Commander

Post by Iron man »

I'm glad to hear that and I always take a pleasure to be blow up :cool:
Unfortunately not that much player looking for blow up other player at the moment :S

Keep in touch !:P
steam name : x iron man
picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

From post: 171974, Topic: tid=11542, author=SeeJay wrote:I would love to play any game in Beta, but I will
never pay anything for a game that is not even finished.

Beta for improvement for a released, payed for game
is one thing.

Can't get my head around this backer thing since it might
even ever become a finished product.

Vice made this product on his own and launched a finished
product, then use Beta testers for improvements.
This are basically my thoughts, too. On the other hand, Elite is some sort of holy grail to me, where it all began (on my good old C64) and now seems to complete the circle. I'm still not a backer, though I barely can withstand the temptation (on principle rather than any other reasons). What I did though is to purchase the lifetime expansion pass cause this can get pretty expensive if I'd had to purchase any single future expansion.

I hope no one doesn't mind since most of you surely have subscribed to ED's newsletter anyway or even are active backers and already have seen this vid from the current newsletter:

Smuggling in Beta 1

enjoy! :cool:

[Edited on 22-8-2014 by picommander]
deep space trader
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Very Cool Picomander, Thanks for sharing!....;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Bullock
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bullock »

I bought that Beta and was very frustrated with the Super Cruise way of travel, so after about 6 hours or so of playing, I just uninstalled it and looked around for another Sim while I wait for the Star Citizen game to get going.

In my hunt, I found this Game "Evochron Mercenary" and right away loved it. After about an hour, it made perfect sense and was fun to play.

The ED game may end up being good in a few years, but as of now, I felt the jump model to get around the universe was very poorly done with respect to actual game play. I've played most all space sims (Eve included, 3 years) and it reminded me of the X-rebirth Highway mess... Just not fun to game play.

In my opinion, Evochron Merc is just as pretty in space with the mods and is everything that ED wants to be. Sure, they have a big budget, but they are sticking to that jump model and for me it's a deal breaker and time waster.

i would like to See EM get a crowd funding model going in the way of a DLC... if so, count me in....
Bullock
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bullock »

From post: 171981, Topic: tid=11542, author=Nimrod1971 wrote: Star Citizen on the other hand turns out to become a "space" world-of-tanks. Certainly not what the backers did expect it to be.
I think you're missing the mark on that comment. SC is turning out to be a great ride for the space sim world. The fact that you'll be able to host your own servers and play a solo local game promises that it will be nothing like world of tanks... WOT is an MMO, SC will be just like Evochron on Steroids.
If you can host it yourself, there is no pay 2 win... it's just space!!
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

With SC, I worry that the graphics will grind on my machine. My machine was pretty high end a couple of years ago. I get great fps with EM. I find that it stutters when I wander around in the hangar in SC, though, and this does not bode well for space combat. It's still beta, though, so I'll wait and see. Most games, even with graphics turned up, do not cause problems like that for me.
Vampyre
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vampyre »

I'll probably play Elite Dangerous when it comes out. It has to have a solid single player game though. For the most part, I do not like multiplayer games. To many bad experiences when ever I try to play with others on line.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Try Galactica 1 ... especially on Sudays. We haven't seen a hostile player since ... well, for quite awhile now.
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,
From post: 172937, Topic: tid=11542, author=Marvin wrote::cool: Try Galactica 1 ... especially on Sudays. We haven't seen a hostile player since ... well, for quite awhile now.
That can always change :D

Steve
[/align]
Vampyre
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vampyre »

Galactica 1? Is that a server?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Galactica 1 is a server, situated in England. If, for some reason, you're blocked from logging on, send a U2U to Starbuck and, when he gets the message, he'll re-set the server.
Vampyre
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vampyre »

I was able to get on. I did a couple of missions in Cerelean (sp) and I built a station out in surrounding area. The very first one I ever built. I'm going to start building them in my game.
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Post by PaulB »

From post: 173060, Topic: tid=11542, author=Vampyre wrote:I was able to get on. I did a couple of missions in Cerelean (sp) and I built a station out in surrounding area. The very first one I ever built. I'm going to start building them in my game.
I suggest you use a good naming convention so you know where the are located.
I now name mine with the <system name> <my-name-choice> but if the system name is long I shorten it.
Like Olympus Marlowe and Olympus Sayers and Cer Marlowe (for Cerulean) and Tal Marlowe (for Talison), etc. etc.
I keep it nice and simple. Also if I even have a problem it might make it easier for Vice to find and fix since I know what the names must be in any particular system.

Also in case you don't know, stations you build in SP will not be in MP and if you should go to MP and then find your stations (from SP) gone when you go back to SP, be on the lookout for that posibility. But Vice may have found and fixed that Issue and I think it only happened to me after doing some Saves while in MP.
I also rather frequently do backups of the pilot Profiles I'm using.
Something else that has happened on a couple of occasions now is after I've converted a system to Good then sometimes (it could be some days later) it may revery back to Fair for some unknown reason. Vice had fixed one such problem for me - but the other day it happened to me in Orion and as soon as I noticed it I just exited EM without saving and Re-Launched and it was back to Good.
It happend to me in Olympus and Orion. I don't think it happened in Cerulean and so far it hasn't happened in Sirius.
Vampyre
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vampyre »

I didn't see an option to name them. I'm just putting them in sections that have a gate.

Can you imagine the mess if everyone's SP stations showed up in a MP game?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: To name a trade station, cursor over the drop-down menu option but do not click on it. Instead, type a name into the window seen above the menu ... then click on the option.
Vampyre
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vampyre »

Oh, I forgot about the build buttons and made a hot key for it. I'll give it a shot when I get back into the game again.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I would've thought the hot key only opened the drop-down menu ... after which, you cursor over the Trade Station option ... then type the name into the window above.
Vampyre
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vampyre »

All saw when I found for the different kinds of stations was blank for them. It doesn't matter now that I remember the build buttons. The tricky part was finding a free key to use.
deMangler
Ensign
Ensign

Post by deMangler »

From post: 172054, Topic: tid=11542, author=Clifford wrote:Just interesting, if you go to the Elite Dangerous forums and read, there is a lot of belly-ache about the space combat. It's like people have only played Wing commander / X-wing type games and nobody there has ever played Evochron or any other game with Newtonian physics.

Of particular note, people there are complaining that ships will "turn around" on you and just fly reverse while shooting at you. For This tactic there is no effective counter-action, you either 1) be significantly faster than their ship to overtake or 2) take the hits and slowly die or 3) break off the engagement.

Now they are talking about nerfing ship's top-speed when reversing. Slowly creeping back towards arcade-like flight, I think they are.
This mainly applies to the Flight-Assist-On mode. The FA/off mode is as close to Newtonian as it is possible to get with the current network limitations (for example, relative speed of ships can only be so high before serious stuttering and/or dsyncs become issues), and there are no plans to "nerf" it beyond what is necessary for smooth gameplay, as far as I know.

[Edited on 25-9-2014 by deMangler]
Vampyre
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vampyre »

My theory about windows and mice is being proven. Way back in the DOS days when these two were being introduced, I said gaming would suffer because mice and windows made PC so easy to use, any idiot could do it. :)
picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

If you are curious about how PVP combat is going to be in E: D have a look at this one (and don't forget this is still beta):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWp3hCJ ... HfZPe0AeIg

And don't even think FA Off is anything similar as in Evochron. It looks so easy in the vid above (mainly because you see one of the well known FA Off gods here) but is 10 times more demanding.
deep space trader