Comparison to Elite Dangerous?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

Hehehhe

the user of the first minute (Viajero) [Traveller] is member of my spanish community and he is mega-fan of Isinona xD
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

From post: 173452, Topic: tid=11542, author=picommander wrote:If you are curious about how PVP combat is going to be in E: D have a look at this one (and don't forget this is still beta):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWp3hCJ ... HfZPe0AeIg

And don't even think FA Off is anything similar as in Evochron. It looks so easy in the vid above (mainly because you see one of the well known FA Off gods here) but is 10 times more demanding.
I guess I'll have to become an FA off god then. If he can do it, I can do it.
SplosivesCorp: Bringing people closer to destruction.
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

Having watched the videos it does look pretty, but that usually means lots of horse power needed, quad core listed in the specs.

Second thing I did not like in the video was having to switch screens to do things. I know this game has a lot of keys, but you do keep your eyes on the main window.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

It's an interesting vid. My first thoughts are that the pilots seem to spend as much time 'fighting' their energy production as they do fighting their opponents. A sort of slow motion combat ballet.

The heat sinks that can be dumped are are interesting idea - It sounds somewhat like the same technology as it used in the stealth combat suits described in SeeJay's quest - 'Over the Hill', except the suits' heat sinks aren't actually jettisoned! :P

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 173468, Topic: tid=11542, author=DaveK wrote:My first thoughts are that the pilots seem to spend as much time 'fighting' their energy production as they do fighting their opponents.:)
:o Making combat a rather dangerous way of making a living until you invest in some serious upgrades to your ship.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 173475, Topic: tid=11542, author=Marvin wrote:
From post: 173468, Topic: tid=11542, author=DaveK wrote:My first thoughts are that the pilots seem to spend as much time 'fighting' their energy production as they do fighting their opponents.:)
:o Making combat a rather dangerous way of making a living until you invest in some serious upgrades to your ship.
It's always seemed like rather a dangerous way of making a living already :P
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

A Screenshot of today...

Yes! A Pink Star!!! XDD
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: A binary? What's the radius of the "red" dwarf?
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

From post: 173588, Topic: tid=11542, author=Marvin wrote::cool: A binary? What's the radius of the "red" dwarf?

:cool:

And for today's exploration:

:P

[Edited on 3-10-2014 by _-Caleb-_]
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

Beta 3 launched yesterday, trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jTRbmUzc8o

Mining is SLOW! At least with my hauler :D

[Edited on 29-10-2014 by _-Caleb-_]
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by sundalo »

Beta 3 pretty good so far though Im still messing around with ch joystick controls for a optimal experience lol. That and difficulties logging in.:P
\"There\'s a war going on out there, and it ain\'t easy!\"

\"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.\"
Kambalo
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Kambalo »

Dont think I am going to pick this game, the way the forums are evolving I am afraid ED may become EVE Online 2. The mentality of big ship big guns, kill everyone is not the mentality of a normal space age fairing society. Dont we have enough killing among ourselves already, why make a game/space simulation into another massacre of the human race? Why cant we have a game of exploration, discovery, establishing relations with other races, learning new ways, new scientific discoveries, learning about other civilizations and their history, why every single game has to turn into a PVP kill all way of life?

Why cant we explore, meet new races, create new colonies in strange and exotic planets?
Seek and ye shall find. The Creator
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MiaZ »

From post: 173971, Topic: tid=11542, author=Kambalo wrote: Dont think I am going to pick this game, the way the forums are evolving I am afraid ED may become EVE Online 2. The mentality of big ship big guns, kill everyone is not the mentality of a normal space age fairing society. Dont we have enough killing among ourselves already, why make a game/space simulation into another massacre of the human race? Why cant we have a game of exploration, discovery, establishing relations with other races, learning new ways, new scientific discoveries, learning about other civilizations and their history, why every single game has to turn into a PVP kill all way of life?

Why cant we explore, meet new races, create new colonies in strange and exotic planets?
I don't think it will be as bad as all that in the end.
Also there is always the Mobius PvE group.
Having said that I have noticed their forum is a little hostile.
I haven't touched E: D since before beta 2 myself but that is due mainly to other reasons.

This place here, forum and in game servers is a lot more friendly. ( most of the time )

[Edited on 10-31-2014 by MiaZ]
Kambalo
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Kambalo »

I read that there will be solo play online and offline, so I may reconsider my decision and pick it up after I comeback from the hospital.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 173971, Topic: tid=11542, author=Kambalo wrote: . . . The mentality of big ship big guns, kill everyone is not the mentality of a normal space age fairing society.
The Vonari don't seem to have got the message yet. Though they may not count as 'normal'. :P

ImageImage
Kambalo
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Kambalo »

From post: 174065, Topic: tid=11542, author=DaveK wrote:
From post: 173971, Topic: tid=11542, author=Kambalo wrote: . . . The mentality of big ship big guns, kill everyone is not the mentality of a normal space age fairing society.
The Vonari don't seem to have got the message yet. Though they may not count as 'normal'. :P

Indeed, I am talking about normal :P:P
OrgyMeyer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by OrgyMeyer »

From post: 174062, Topic: tid=11542, author=Kambalo wrote:I read that there will be solo play online and offline, so I may reconsider my decision and pick it up after I comeback from the hospital.
Been playing since open beta and I have to say that it's great so far. The evochron ships are technically better in that you can jump exactly where you want to go. Elite Dangerous puts you at the Primary Star in the system and you supercruise at faster than light speeds to your destination.

It currently features open online play and online solo play as well as groups for you and your friends to play undisturbed by other players. Offline solo play is expected at launch but currently not featured. So if your net goes down, you get kicked out, same if the server goes down. But much like Evochron, your solo cash transfers to the multiplayer, at least the way it is now.

I miss just chilling in the nebulas and gas giants scooping fuel, but final release is supposed to have them, so I guess I can wait for a bit. You can already scoop fuel from stars and the mining is the same except you have to pick up the chunks you mine and process them with a refinery.

Great game though, most of my evochron skills transferred over quite nicely and I use the same layout on my x52 HOTAS as I did for evochron :)

Pick it up now or wait a bit and get it cheaper at launch. Supposed to be resetting everyone at launch anyways, so it might be worth waiting for, should only be a few more weeks now, it's really coming along nicely and with all the promised expansion content, it might be my new favorite game!
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 174138, Topic: tid=11542, author=OrgyMeyer wrote:Been playing since open beta and I have to say that it's great so far.

It currently features open online play and online solo play as well as groups for you and your friends to play undisturbed by other players. Offline solo play is expected at launch but currently not featured. So if your net goes down, you get kicked out, same if the server goes down. But much like Evochron, your solo cash transfers to the multiplayer, at least the way it is now.

Great game though, most of my evochron skills transferred over quite nicely and I use the same layout on my x52 HOTAS as I did for evochron
Thanks for the interesting update. One issue causes me an issue though. In Evochron I actually lose the server fairly often - all servers, near and far. Vice has patched Mercenary so that 99% of the time I get a seamless reconnect - all I see is a momentary stutter in the view and a message in the chat. It sounds like I'd be dropped frequently in ED though.

A thought. What advantages would there be in playing solo on a server? Or is it just to let you play solo in the beta?

I like the idea of using my stick/throttle (Saitek X52 Pro) without having to mess about with a totally new profile to learn :D

ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 174140, Topic: tid=11542, author=DaveK wrote:What advantages would there be in playing solo on a server?
UbiSoft had the same setup for Silent Hunter V. And the advantage was all Ubi's ... it's a DRM (one which Ubi eventually had to modify, due to all the complaints about dropped connections making for unstable playtime). The option to play off line will, I think, become a necessity.
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Post by PaulB »

From post: 174141, Topic: tid=11542, author=Marvin wrote:
From post: 174140, Topic: tid=11542, author=DaveK wrote:What advantages would there be in playing solo on a server?
UbiSoft had the same setup for Silent Hunter V. And the advantage was all Ubi's ... it's a DRM (one which Ubi eventually had to modify, due to all the complaints about dropped connections making for unstable playtime). The option to play off line will, I think, become a necessity.
Did you play Silent Hunter?

I played the original Silent Hunter and before I got into PPG and EM I reinstalled the original Silent Hunter on my XP laptop using Dosbox and it ran pretty well.
I used to spend hours and hours doing the missions.
I hated getting up int he China area because there was seldom more than 200 - 300 feet of depth. That was definitely a nighttime surface area.
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Post by Rubber Chicken »

Marvin is an avid SH captain. :) I have SH3, and find it adequate. (It still gives dud 'pedoes with duds turned off though. :o ) I wouldn't mind picking up SHV though and seeing the improvements. :cool:
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by sundalo »

December 16th for final release of ED! November 22 for gamma testing!. Was an awesome 2 years waiting and being a backer of the kickstarter. Now one month away before the fun begins!:)

[Edited on 11-8-2014 by sundalo]

[Edited on 11-8-2014 by sundalo]

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Thanks for the heads up, Sundalo. As for Silent Hunter, I've just recently installed SHV ... and found that it evidently has one of the failing aspects of SHIV: poorly scripted sunrise and sunset. Very frustrating ... although IV's flashing of the sea is no longer a problem.
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by sundalo »

Chaos going on at the ED forums with regards to the promised offline single player function removed in exchange for an online all the time for solo and multiplayer. Talks of refunds and lawsuits now and we are just less than a month away, ouch lol.

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o I'd certainly ask for a refund. Internet connections come and go.