X-wing @ Tie Fighter on GOG

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
PirxThePilot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by PirxThePilot »

X-wing @ Tie Fighter are for sale on GOG.com I'm assuming this will be good news to some of you.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I have the old disks around somewhere. The problem is that those old games were made for 3dfx Voodoo cards, and are not compatible with modern DirectX. Some were even made for DOS are not compatible with modern Windows OSs.

Does GOG address these problems?
PirxThePilot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by PirxThePilot »

GOG usually makes sure that its games run on the latest versions of windows (XP through 8.1) as well as Mac and linux in many cases. DOS games use DosBox which is included with those installations. They use DirectX or OpenGL for video.

X-Wing and Tie Fighter include both Windows and DOS versions.

[Edited on 10-29-2014 by PirxThePilot]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 173900, Topic: tid=11691, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:I have the old disks around somewhere. The problem is that those old games were made for 3dfx Voodoo cards, and are not compatible with modern DirectX. Some were even made for DOS are not compatible with modern Windows OSs.

Does GOG address these problems?
These comments are not specific to X-Wing

Sort of and sometimes! I've been looking for IW and IW2 for W7. GOG now provide both. But looking through the reviews of quite a few games reveals that one of their methods of getting old games to 'run' on W7 or W8 is to use the DOS version and wrap it in DOSBox. It runs slow when there are lots of graphics to handle (<10fps) and if you boost the speed in DOSBox it can look silly when the graphics load is low!

So look carefully at the reviews! As one critic said, it looks like quite a few of the reviews of the games are based on what people remember them being like - rather than how they run on a modern rig in the GOG version

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage