Worried myself

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Worried myself

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

I had a senior moment and worried that I had made a big mistake.

So I play EM most the time, some times SP and a lot of MP too.

Today, I got home from worked and check all the usual suspects, email, FaceBook and forums.

Then closed the browser and double clicked on the game icon . . . . . or so I thought. The game launched, I skipped the intro and the pilot profile page appeared. To my horror there were only two profiles.

It was at this point I noticed I was in the wrong game, phew.

I had installed a game for my nephew to play and it had moved some of the icons on the main screen, problem solved.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Worried myself

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I have never used multiple users on my computer. I can only imagine the stress it would cause.
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Worried myself

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,
From post: 173299, Topic: tid=11641, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:I have never used multiple users on my computer. I can only imagine the stress it would cause.
I am the same, but this is not mine it is a family PC. We had to give him his own user profile to prevent him "damaging" anything.

He is locked down so he can't just install all the time mainly when he is surfing.

Steve
[/align]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Worried myself

Post by Marvin »

:cool: You can change the tag underneath any launch icon. To avoid confusion, simply append the original tag with your nephew's avatar or name.
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Worried myself

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

I need to make this a little clearer, the icon for EM moved one slot down, I just clicked with out looking too carefully and launched EL.

A 12 year old does not listen to older people, when he does not listen he ignores the wisdom and experience.

So the 12 year old clicks on a link in a browser that says "Blah blah the latest and greatest game for free" and promptly installs malware or a virus. He did this for real as he did not understand that some people lie. It took 3 days to repair the damage, and I know what I am doing.

So, he has his own profile, so he needs or more importantly the PC needs permission to install/run software unless it has been cleared for him too use. You go to some sites aimed at children with free games and they can infest a PC with all kinds of bad software and redirects.

And "no" the anti virus software and anti malware software does not catch everything.

Steve

[Edited on 9-21-2014 by CS-ACI-]
[/align]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Worried myself

Post by Marvin »

:o I'd require a password to get beyond the computer's log-on page.