Possilble New Forum Addition ???

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Post by PaulB »

I was wondering what the possibility was of a Realtime Chat feature (maybe with a few Chat Rooms to allow more than one subject discussion) to be added as part of the Forum ???
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From past experience, I'd say that idea is fraught with possible pitfalls. Especially since it would be hard to find someone to monitor the chat room 24-7.
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

1 - you need to host the chat room, most chat clients can eat server resources.

2 - real time chat is really good, but you need people too be online and in the forum. In days gone by, it was easier too jump onto a server and ask questions.

3 - plenty of security issues with chat clients.

Plus as Marvin says, you would need to moderate a chat room.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

A thought:

There is TS. You could organise a series of times to suit different continents when people can log on and advertise your arrangements here. There are already a number of 'private' TS servers where players who can't play as much keep in touch or just hang out together.

Advantage is it would be self regulating and zero server resource hits.

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Such a TS3 server already exists. I only ask that, if you join the server and, as a result, find yourself knee deep in a conversation not of your liking, you refrain from posting any complaints in the open forum ... or sending your U2Us to a moderator.
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Post by PaulB »

From post: 172509, Topic: tid=11595, author=DaveK wrote:A thought:

There is TS. You could organise a series of times to suit different continents when people can log on and advertise your arrangements here. There are already a number of 'private' TS servers where players who can't play as much keep in touch or just hang out together.

Advantage is it would be self regulating and zero server resource hits.

:)
I'm not so sure how that would work for me - having been diagnosed withmild to moderate hearling loss in the mid to high frequencies.
I'm frequently asking people to repeat themselves over the telephone (and that's with an amplified phone for people with hearing problems) and in person.
A headset and mic might work only my laptop sound drivers don't have an EQ where I can taper the spectrum like I do with a stereo EQ hooked up to my TV.
Then there's the problem of this (often lousy latency) Verizon mobile wireless and 5GB per month limit. Voice data can eat up a lot of bandwith.

[Edited on 8-16-2014 by PaulB]
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,
From post: 172511, Topic: tid=11595, author=PaulB wrote:I'm not so sure how that would work for me - having been diagnosed withmild to moderate hearling loss in the mid to high frequencies.
I'm frequently asking people to repeat themselves over the telephone (and that's with an amplified phone for people with hearing problems) and in person.
A headset and mic might work only my laptop sound drivers don't have an EQ where I can taper the spectrum like I do with a stereo EQ hooked up to my TV.
Then there's the problem of this (often lousy latency) Verizon mobile wireless and 5GB per month limit. Voice data can eat up a lot of bandwith.

[Edited on 8-16-2014 by PaulB]
I do know that you can use text within TS, so that would work for you, I do not know if they have the setting you would need for your hearing though.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
Cindy
Commander
Commander

Post by Cindy »

From post: 172511, Topic: tid=11595, author=PaulB wrote: Then there's the problem of this (often lousy latency) Verizon mobile wireless and 5GB per month limit. Voice data can eat up a lot of bandwith.
Paul,

I use a private TS3 channel/server to keep in touch with some people now that I don't play EM and have a limiting bandwidth as well. I use about 80MB for about 4-6 hours of talking on there with 1 or 2 other people. :cool: You can also turn up individual people's volume or everyone's volume on your end. I hope this is helpful. :)

~Cindy
A country gal with a heart of gold and a delight for blowing up spacecraft! :)
Busch
Captain
Captain

Post by Busch »

Yep, I've some hearing issues as well. Mostly from hearing a lot of things go boom in the night. (And from making a few of those 'things' go boom in the night! Misspent youth..) ;) A headset and microphone combo works wonders for me when I've been on the TS3 servers and in-game. I'm using a Logitech G930 wireless model. No complaints with the audio coming down the pipes. It's got a graphic equalizer as part of the endemic software package. Helps a lot! :) :cool:
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch