Big Radar Mod...

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Big Radar Mod...

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Strange Industries introduces the Big Radar!

This mod is for you if you want a bigger radar. Think of this as large print for your situational awareness.

*WARNING* If you already have a gauges.txt file in your HUD folder, back it up, or simply copy the modified values from this version into the one that you are using.

http://www.evochron2.junholt.se/Nigel/BigRadar.zip

Strange Industries is not responsible for files lost because you forgot to back them up before applying this mod.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

please: why not appears my text, in text box for I responding?

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Thanks Nigel.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

You are welcome.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

OK, so I found one problem with it.

If you use TrackIR, lateral head movements will cause the radar to appear to float way out in front of the screen.

On the standard size, this does not happen so much because the distance and size are always contained within the borders of the screen.

So...TrackIR users: beware!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I don't use TrackIR so this mod works great for me. I was wondering, though ... could you move the right-hand vector indicator a few pixels to the right?
picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

I love it! Though I only use gauges.txt together with Busch's Hud, not the 2 png files.
deep space trader
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I didn't notice it until I used TrackIR. As long as your virtual head remains in the same place, it should continue to look good.

Nothing to be done about it, though: you can't make the sphere bigger, only closer, and if it's closer, it will be offset when you shift around.

It would actually be kinda cool if it was floating there in space (i.e. a holograph) with stuff going on behind it, but that would not make it as readable.

EVOCHRON MERCENARIES (THE MOVIE) IN 3D!

You can, though, imagine my chagrin when I moved my head and saw this:

DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

I use a modded HUD, with a few tweaks from other HUD's and one's I've done in Photoshop.

I'm trying the BigRadar but my installed version of ccpitblue1 has a 'origin marker' on it - this is the thing I point at the blip to flly straight to it. I guess because my HUD is a mod, the in-game version of the marker is being overridden so the only marker I can see in BR is the triangular 'moveable feast' indicator - guessing where front and centre is is too crude and the traingle is all over the place most of the time :D.

I've edited Nigel's ccpitblue1 to include a red hexagon that exactly lines up with pitch/heading = zero when you're stationary giving me an accurate 'fly to' marker again.

If Nigel is happy I'll post it here. :D

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL, I use Track IR and 3D vision, I was just gonna ask how it would look in 3D with Track IR!......Of course I could try it when I get a chance.......;):P

Have not got much time lately though to play and try things out!.....:(
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I don't see the problem. You now have a 3D hologram like that seen in Star Wars. Btw, I had to also adjust the radar target grid to keep it within the default boundaries.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

If the sphere is moved out of the display, it either has to become a holographic display like that (which it still does look pretty cool in your screenshot) or the cockpit itself also needs to be adapted to accommodate the new sphere's position.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

Works Fine with Arvoch Alliance, Thanks Nigel!! :D

The holographic radar!!! :D
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Post by PaulB »

From post: 169826, Topic: tid=11378, author=Vice wrote: If the sphere is moved out of the display, it either has to become a holographic display like that (which it still does look pretty cool in your screenshot) or the cockpit itself also needs to be adapted to accommodate the new sphere's position.
I was wondering Vice if you could make a resized version of the Radar Display and Radar Sphere to do the same thing the original poster wanted to do (within the Black Radar area) so one would not have to "move" them both forward and deal with the worse side effect of the sphere and radar display shifting worse when you turn???
I chose a median setting to get a larger radar but less shifting - but if an alternate enlarged set would work better without having to change any Gauges.txt values it would certainly be more attractive when turning.
I know they may be in the Custom Kit but it would be an awful lot of work to resize and they try to get the grayscale into pretty colors - at least it would with the only software I have which is Paintshop Pro 7 - a quite old version.

Paul
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I can sort of see how the display works now, and I am not really sure how you would modify the cockpit or the radar to stop it from doing this if you want it bigger.

A bigger sphere will still pop out of the display, even if it is farther back, because the background needs to provide sufficient wiggle room to provide background for the sphere, no matter what the viewing angle (within the ranges of angles allowed by TrackIR).
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

The sphere only shifts if you're using TrackIR ... it stays put if you're panning around the cockpit using the HAT or keyboard.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Which is why I didn't notice, at first. I suspect, though, and confirmed with the headtracker.
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Post by PaulB »

From post: 169879, Topic: tid=11378, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:I can sort of see how the display works now, and I am not really sure how you would modify the cockpit or the radar to stop it from doing this if you want it bigger.

A bigger sphere will still pop out of the display, even if it is farther back, because the background needs to provide sufficient wiggle room to provide background for the sphere, no matter what the viewing angle (within the ranges of angles allowed by TrackIR).
If you do not change the position but do change the image size (and thus it stays in the same position as the original) then it would not shift any more than the original and would shift less than if you changed the position so it was closer.

Paul
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Except it doesn't stay in the same position as the original. The center of the sphere is not co-located with the nexus of the screen ... therefore, whenever you change the size, its position shifts relative to the nexus. The center ball, being in the horizontal center, only shifts in the vertical ... while the ball on the target screen would require adjustment in both the horizontal and vertical ... except, since the center ball isn't shifted left or right, the corresponding shift of the target ball is negligible. Requiring, again, only an adjustment in the vertical.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I wonder if the background images for the cockpit displays can accept transparent textures. I know I can create transparent PNG files, so the question is what will happen in game if I use a transparent PNG file.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 169953, Topic: tid=11378, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:I wonder if the background images for the cockpit displays can accept transparent textures. I know I can create transparent PNG files, so the question is what will happen in game if I use a transparent PNG file.
try it and report back! :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
FilHoteeMayara
Ensign
Ensign

Post by FilHoteeMayara »

nice! good!
but the display left and display right is little wrong position in hud ,,, maybe I need change values in .txt . how values work in displays? (not in sphere map)
please
gracias
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Correct. The gauges.txt file needs to be changed for both the center and the right-hand target display. I use the following numbers, which are slightly smaller than Nigel's:
FilHoteeMayara
Ensign
Ensign

Post by FilHoteeMayara »

thx mr. Marvin
(I used ...)
But , maybe ... I need re-position the displays in better position of hud ...

PT-BR
O brigado ... mas preciso realocar melhor os displays na cabine ...
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Post by PaulB »

From post: 169937, Topic: tid=11378, author=Marvin wrote:Except it doesn't stay in the same position as the original. The center of the sphere is not co-located with the nexus of the screen ... therefore, whenever you change the size, its position shifts relative to the nexus. The center ball, being in the horizontal center, only shifts in the vertical ... while the ball on the target screen would require adjustment in both the horizontal and vertical ... except, since the center ball isn't shifted left or right, the corresponding shift of the target ball is negligible. Requiring, again, only an adjustment in the vertical.
Only Vice can clear this up - but I think you are mistaken.
I'm quite sure the radar sphere is position based on it's 3D center of rotation which would be 0,0,0, thus it ratates just a s basket ball would.
If you put a Base Ball or Pingpong ball or Basket Ball in the same position as Vice as the default Radar sphere set to it's going to behave more or less the same when the ship turns (which is when I see the sphere wobble relative to the radar display). The size is not going to make a great deal of difference to that movement (wobble) as long as the position is the same as compared to moving it's origin closer in 3D space. I hope Vice will correct me if I am wrong - but as I've done a LOT od 3D graphics design with Renderware meshes and texturing in Active Worlds I am confident that I am more or less correct.
It's when you change the position of whatever sphere from that original position that it causes the wobble to become more pronounced.
Unfortunately since I can't change it's size I can't prove it.
Only Vice can do that.

Paul
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Mayara, that's a cockpit mod you're using (The Perch). You'll probably need to experiment before you'll get a proper alignment.