Rooster's Flight Log

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

Robber Chicken: kind of like billionaire opening a sidewalk-side hot dog stand, :D
Hahhahahaahahaahahh I can imagine
Capt_Caveman: im nobody's bodygaurd, if anything, I need one when she's around :P
Roger that :)
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by SeeJay »

I'm honored to be mentioned with those great
persons. Several more deserves to ve mentioned, you
just haven't met them yet! ;-)

Wait til the wacky BA dudes tries to welcome you.
Great fun. Several "oldies" will drop what they are doing
and do their best to help you. Great fights indeed.

It only takes to be a nice dude to be very
welcome with this community. Nothing else.
Nice people earnes respect right there.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Capt_Caveman »

yes there are many more "greats" here
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by DaveK »

From post: 168926, Topic: tid=11331, author=Rooster wrote:[quote]Robber Chicken: kind of like billionaire opening a sidewalk-side hot dog stand, :D
Is that a slur on RC's honesty? :P
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Busch
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Busch »

:P :cool::cool: Thanks Rooster! :)

All of us had to start some where. There's a bunch of us who had to start all over again....on the same day. Feature that! Your flight log's are a fun chortle to read. :) Keep up the Good Work!
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rubber Chicken »

From post: 168931, Topic: tid=11331, author=DaveK wrote:
From post: 168926, Topic: tid=11331, author=Rooster wrote:Robber Chicken: kind of like billionaire opening a sidewalk-side hot dog stand, :D
Is that a slur on RC's honesty? :P

Lol! I just noticed that. 'Robber' Chicken! OK. Officially copyright and trademarked by me. McD's has the Hamburgler, now to see which fast food chicken outlet want to license Robber Chicken from me for their advertising. :cool: :P:P:P #$$$

Odd it seems my post is inside the quoted area, but in the reply text it's not in the quote parameters....

[Edited on 4-14-2014 by Rubber Chicken]

[Edited on 4-14-2014 by Marvin]
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

Hahha, my bad, Robber Chicken! lol
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

If all my other days in space could be called "leaps and bounds" as far as progression goes, this one would be called "Mantis Drive". That is how much was completed today compared to other days.

Made over 200 million, upgraded my frame. Went from 79 Civ Rank to 624. Got some good guns. All the equipment I could want. The awesome missile pack that regens. 3 crew. I don't think I will get a Nav officer. I can't have someone on my ship that is crying all the time. "No please don't." "No we can't do that." "Please stop." "O god, O god, O god."

Which brings me to my next topic. Death. :D If the constructor stations had guns, they'd be my biggest adversary. At least one time a day they kill me.....but I still won't take a Nav officer.......MAYBE...for deep space exploration.

I have all these goodies now and today I'm gonna use them. Terrain Walker, Build Constructor....and these weapons. So many things are going to die......so many things.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Marvin »

:cool: For some real fun in a terrain walker (TW), accept an Ace contract from a city then, when your reach the waypoint, jump into your TW to take on the Ace.
Busch
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Busch »

Yep, constructor stations are a bit proddy when it comes to entering one of their bays, as compared to another type of 'station'. It's a lot more of 'strict observance' of one's placement in/on the galactic plane. Though the constructor station bays are all laid out on the compass cardinal points (0/360, 90, 180, & 270 degrees) there's a possibility that not all of the bays will be 'unobstructed' as one may find - depending upon location. The careful pilot makes sure of a 'zero-zero line-up', prior to jumping. That is, pitch ladder at zero and level on the galactic plane. And at zero on the compass heading. [Or what ever 'angle of entry' degree may be 'best' presented by an individual constructor station. Check your radar globe/gimbal/center MFD. For the cardinal points, the longitudinal lines 'line up' with the appropriate degree marker on the compass.]
Commander
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Marvin »

:cool: And, if you've disabled auto-docking (default Alt F3) be aware that, if you hit the back wall of the constructor at full speed ... ka-blooie!
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

If first impressions are as important as everyone says then today the bar was set incredibly high.

Started the day with a tip from The Chicken. "If you want to do War Zones and increase your military rank, head to Talisom. There are no capital ships at each waypoint." What do you think I did?

I flew to the WZ and started mashing out missions. One after the other. It was taking forever. Then Cindy joined.......things no longer took forever. She had me jump into her gunners seat......I was not a gunner. I was a spectator of real destruction. She had packages of Fulcrum Torps. Jump in, fire, and kill EVERYTHING! She was death in a cockpit. She must of knocked out 15 waypoints in 3 min or so. Then had to go AFK. Her day was busy and she was in an out most of the time.

I was inspired now. Filled up with Torps and picked the mission with the most waypoints. BOOM! Death after death......I still couldn't figure out how not to kill myself :D I am improving a little at a time and learning. I don't die as much but I also can't hit all of them like Cindy did.

Not long after my Torp testing another pilot showed up. Pier. I am not sure if he meant to shoot me or not but I killed him. To Pier: I am sorry if my attack was unwarranted. I am still learning and if I see you in space I hope we can fly some missions together.

Now this is where things took off like a Mantis Drive. I am not sure who showed up first but this was the group. We had the "Capin" in his hand made, self programmed software having, cockpit of destruction. The infamous Chicken was there raining down pain and Busch, flying without a care in the world and wiping out anything that looked at him wrong. Cindy was also in an out with her evil laugh (that means things are going to die). All of these vets where here just to help me get my military rank up. Can you imagine? Mission after mission, wave after wave. Everything dieing so fast I had to set up my quick save key just to be able to push it in time to get to the next mission that they had already completed the first wave of.

I spent most of the time in awe at the precision and speed this group would fight. At one point I watched three pilots move in a circle formation around three baddies. Herding them like cattle while systematically wiping them out one at a time. Each pilot fired on the same target until it's destruction and without any chat or hint of the next target they instantly locked and killed the next one. It was amazing. A dance with death.

Personal Stats:

Over a BILLION credits! <---proud moment
Military Rank: 151
300 kills
120 contracts complete
Quest Progress: 7

Honorable Mention:

Bear, nice to meet you and I look forward to flying with you in space.

The "Big Nasty" I hope you go that super station launched into orbit :)

Side Note: I'm sure everyone knows Cindy likes to PvP. Her famous words before your death, "Did you save?" :D Well I asked her if she saved and The Chicken said she was already working on him. I had to join in. It will be some time before I can even hurt this pilot in one on one but at this moment I had a window of opportunity, and took it. She died with honor and still almost wiped me out, even with the Chicken on her tail. A scary and exhilarating experience.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Marvin »

From post: 168996, Topic: tid=11331, author=Rooster wrote:Not long after my Torp testing another pilot showed up. Pier. I am not sure if he meant to shoot me or not but I killed him.
:cool: Be aware that, if another pilot gets too close to your ship, the collision will have the same effect as being fired upon ... except your ship won't take damage. :o
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

Quote: Originally posted by Rooster
Not long after my Torp testing another pilot showed up. Pier. I am not sure if he meant to shoot me or not but I killed him.

:cool: Be aware that, if another pilot gets too close to your ship, the collision will have the same effect as being fired upon ... except your ship won't take damage. :o
Roger that. I did take damage though. I jumped into the station fast and repaired then undocked and fired away. He did not fight back but I was taking no risks. I could of practiced a little restraint though.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Marvin »

:o There are other accidental ways to initiate a mishap. For example, I think it's the Shift key which can launch missiles ... and that can happen when a player thinks he's opened the Chat window ... but, if fact, has not. Consequently, when he goes to type in a message and presses the wrong key ... well, it's "missiles away! ... oops!"
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Capt_Caveman »

From post: 168996, Topic: tid=11331, author=Rooster wrote: At one point I watched three pilots move in a circle formation around three baddies. Herding them like cattle while systematically wiping them out one at a time. Each pilot fired on the same target until it's destruction and without any chat or hint of the next target they instantly locked and killed the next one. It was amazing. A dance with death.
When you destroy a target, you automatically lock on the next nearest hostile.
If you and your wingmen fly in a tight group, you all lock onto the same next nearest hostile.
(sorry if I spoiled the magic)

yes it was great fun and still a thrill when it all
comes together like a well rehearsed orchestra
gonna have to do it more often :cool:

[Edited on 4-17-2014 by Capt_Caveman]
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

When you destroy a target, you automatically lock on the next nearest hostile.
If you and your wingmen fly in a tight group, you all lock onto the same next nearest hostile.
(sorry if I spoiled the magic)

yes it was great fun and still a thrill when it all
comes together like a well rehearsed orchestra
gonna have to do it more often :cool:
^^^Your new name should be "Captain Obvious". My gosh....just enjoy the story. :D
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

Flight Log: Rooster

Today was a good lazy day. I changed out the Mammoth frame for a Star Master. Simply because it is smaller. I then made my Civilian ship flat out awesome. It now has a full crew...even though my Nav officer has a huge...he's just afraid alot. I completed several Quest Missions and used Cindy's Torp to avoid all combat with a Capital ship and it's cronies. I used my Terrain Walker and I have to say, it is AWESOME! I was doing some thinking when I was looking for a wreck on a Planet. I thought to myself why don't I carry different equipment on my ship in my cargo bay slots? Why don't I have a ship template for Combat and Exploration?

I can swap out certain pieces of equipment and store them in the Hanger when I use the Combat Template and I can put all on my ship when I use the Exploration Template. I'm not even talking a lot of extra stuff. This is what I currently use and what I hope to swap. Exploration on the left, combat on the right:

Mantis Drive
All purpose Mining Beam -- Cannon Heat Sink
Shield Battery x5
Repair System 3
Deploy Constructor
Terrain Walker -- Anti-Missile System
Shield Array Recharger -- Stealth Generator
Cannon Relay System

Now I would like to also store a Plat Beam and Possibly a Cargo Scanner. This would use all Equipment Slots and 5 Cargo Bays. Depending on the situation I could remove the Heat Sink from Combat setup and put in the Cargo Scanner and on my Civilian ship I can replace the Beam with a Plat Beam. To fly strictly Combat I would have to store 5 items in the Hanger before switching Templates but this would still be good if I am doing mission in a System to improve my reputation. Also, if I wanted to really utilize my Exploration setup I'd have to store some items also. I don't think I will go with the Plat Beam though. I want to be able to swap equipment quickly and I can't do that unless I have an open Cargo Bay.

Maybe later when I have more experience and permission from the Server Admin, I can build my own station and store the Plat beam on it. Set up an array of stations near a good set of asteroids and possibly a Nebula, where I can have a quick trade route/farming layout. I can pay certain people to keep it safe and to ruthlessly kill anyone that blows up my stations. Something like a Billion every two weeks, per person. Sounds fun but maybe unrealistic.

This is all just a thought from a Noob. It sounds good in theory but I have yet to test it. I will spend some time today seeing how this goes and if I like it. A few button clicks and a quick Template swap and I'm off. I'd have the maximum potential in any situation as long as I had prep time.

I flew some War Zone mission with Cindy and we also did some trading. The poor girl can't seem to make profit with trading. It is odd really. We do the same exact trades and she loses credits and I make 50+ million.

She can't make credits the easy way so I decided to buy some services from her. The price is fair and the reward is great. We struck a deal for 50 WZ rank. (Not Missions) and 10 PvP training sessions (30 Min each). This is easy for her to do and she loves PvP. I will benefit greatly from the training and experience. All this will cost only 250 million. If you are new and wish to learn how to PvP....not just get blown up....then hire Cindy. The WZ rank is just a bonus.

[Edited on 04/09/2014 by Rooster]
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by SeeJay »

I really like to read your Flight Log. Makes me feel that the game is new all over again. Thx.

It actually got me to start exploring again. Damn you! :D

You reallly don't need any permision to build anything. Just build!
If a player dislike it, he or she might attack it tho.

Regarding Cin:
Hmmmmm. She is a wild card, but an excellent fighter. You got yourself a great PvP instructor right there.
Trust me, I've done several fights with her. I'm very pleased IF I win.
Stick with her and you will be a force to fear!:o
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Two things to think about:

(1) Check what's for sale at the station where you store your stuff ... sometimes it's cheaper to just buy what you want when you need it. Storage fees can break you.

(2) Storing stuff at your own or another player's station comes with risk. Namely, if the station gets blown up, you lose all your stuff!
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rubber Chicken »

No permits are required to build your own station. Then again, no permits are required to detonate a station in a sector you want to build in. It's a two way street tho...

Marvin is right. Unless your station is far from other players potentially claiming Imminent Domain, you might want to only store items in game-standard stations. If you lose a station, it's likely you'll get stuck with the rental fees regardless of not being able to recover your stuff.

Other than that your setup ideas are pretty good.

.....switched from a Mammoth to a Starmaster because it's SMALLER. :P Am I the only one who picked up on that? :P:P:P
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

Thanks for all the positive comments and it's always good to get feedback.
Busch
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Busch »

Nope, caught it too. It's all in the visuals...really. ;) The Starmaster and Mammoth do not share much in the way of a common frame paradigm as does the Venture-Sentinel-Guardian-Mammoth line. I'd have to say that the Starmaster frame may have figuratively sprung from the Panther-Mirage-Legacy line. At least in appearances to my untrained, uncalibrated Mark 1, Mod Zero eye-ball, 2 ea. The Starmaster frame has more 'displacement' [armor and base speed reduction (mass/density/etc.)], slightly more capacity points, at more cost, but with less agility than the Mammoth. The Starmaster frame will also accommodate more frame configuration adjustments than does the Mammoth. There's a lot to recommend of each. It's a trade-off, and a matter of personal choice. What ever floats Das Boot! ;)

[Edited on 4-18-2014 by Busch]
Commander
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

I learned a ton about ships, flying, and equipment.

I tried to do the "two template" while alternating equipment setup. I actually completed the initial quest line doing this. One thing quickly became apparent....I am too lazy to use this method. I need more of a "Swiss Army Knife" kind of ship. If I do have two ships, one of them will be a completely different profile and setup strictly for PvP or heavy combat.

My ship right now is a Legacy Frame. Small, fast, and enough build points to really make a good all around ship. At this moment I am such a noob that all missions are awesome. Transporting an individual to retrieving a lost item. I enjoy it all.

My setup is as follows: Legacy
Engine: 6
Shield: 10
Cargo: 4
Fuel: 1500
Wing System: 10
Crew: 4
Equipment: 8
Harp Points: 6**

**If I really wanted to stress a more combat oriented ship I could remove one crew (I only have 3 and an extra slot for missions) and one set of Counter Measures and add 2 slots to Hard Points. I feel this setup is ideal for what I want to do. Kill, Explore, and do any mission I see.

As mentioned above, today I completed the Main Quest. I don't think I would of ever found Pearls Hidden Planet just based off the info it gave me. 10 jumps in one direction then you can go up/left/right/down for 3 to 4 jumps, to even get it to show up on the map. Now imagine if you went 10 jumps in the wrong direction? Ya....needless to say The Captain helped me with this. SeeJay's website also has an interactive map that is just amazing.

A couple of the missions where flat out awesome. On one mission I had to destroy multiple Cap ships with 5 or 7 fighters protecting each one. This was just flat out fun. I was still in the Starmaster, at this time, and just wrecked shop. I need to work on missile management. Especially when I know that I will have to blow up Cap ships at each waypoint. I need to have a shield buster.

Well I made it all the way to the last waypoint and wiped out the protection and realized I didn't have a missile.....so I tried something else. I put all my power into shields and tried to maintain an orbit around the Cap ship. All the while I was adjusting my shield and weapons power to find the optimal amount of firing that is possible while protecting myself from most damage. In a Starmaster it is around -2 Shields/+2 Weapons. I cannot express how much this one fight made my entire day. I was in a perfect inertial ORBIT around a Cap ship while raining down pain!

Sigh...it was all good but there was just one problem. I could not bust it's shields. So, I jumped back to the station and purchased some missiles. Then....I realized that I had been following this Cap for some time and we were no longer anywhere near the objective box. I had to go back to my memory and think about how the station looked when I was fighting. Then I jumped back to the initial start of the fight and followed the trail of loot as far as I could. 20 minutes later I found that cap ship and wiped him out. Felt good to "fix" my own problem and I had a sense of accomplishment.

I would like to give a special mention to my Engineer. This guy is a miracle working. No joke, several times he worked magic to keep my ship in space. I can't count how many times my weapons where down or my Nav was just going insane. I just kept thinking "Hull Breach Eminent" and this guy pulled an R2D-2 out of his pocket and we were back in the fight.

After completing the Main Quest and fixing my ship like a Swiss Army Knife I decided to fly down to the Peal Hidden Planet. I used my Terrain Walker to gather resources and bring them back to my ship. Then fly into space and sell them on the Hidden Station. The credits where good. Plat was going for 354K a stack and Gold went for 270k. Metal was completely useless. The Construct out there doesn't make stuff like the other ones I've been to. Metal became Exodus Missiles.....awesome if wanted them but I wanted the Repair Sys 3's to see how they would sell.

Trip after trip I did this. It is just fascinating to hit the planet at 5 to 6k and turn up that nose to slow my decent and then burn like a fireball into the planets atmosphere, only to land and farm resources that I will bring back into space. <---I doesn't matter who you are, everything about that last sentence is just awesome.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Marvin »

:cool: So are the stealth devices. ;)