[EM 2.808 and older] X52 Throttle with Afterburner *INFO*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

During the last couple of days I've experimented with the afterburner feature on throttle (additional checkbox right to the throttle axis in device options). While basically a neat feature, particularly when chasing in a slower machine (frees up a valuable button) it has a serious drawback, at least when using with the X52 which seems quite a common device these days. The afterburner is triggered on the last centimeter of the throttle range and thus takes away some of its "native" speed range. Native topspeed with IDS x5 for instance is then reduced by more than 400 (lvl 10 engine, Mammuth). Debatable if still worth using it under this circumstances. I wouldn't call it a bug though (probably unavoidable), just something that X52 users should be aware of.
deep space trader
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

There may be a problem with your configuration then. I use a X52 for the game's development and it does not work that way for me. What the game does is scale back the input range for the axis channel that throttle is mapped to about 90% of the original range (resulting in setting the throttle at 90% of its range value to reach the 100% value input), providing a cushion near the edge of the range at around 90-95% for the max speed level, then uses the last roughly 5% of the signal range for the afterburner. I just double checked this with my X52 throttle and it works correctly at all 5 IDS scale levels here.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

I had the x52 in the past and didnt have that problem either
picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

Yes you are right, it works exactly as you said. I also found what apparently has confuddled me. The throttle has a perceptible mechanical drag before reaching his last 20-25% range. Somehow I expected this drag would mark the border to the afterburner range, but now where I tested again that's obviously not the case. Afterburner actually starts far above this drag point. I'm not sure if this mechanical drag is all too precise though with all X52 throttles being the same. It's probably worth consideration providing a (customer-) programmable cushion point here (if not too much of a hassle).
deep space trader
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The 95% range was basically a compromise to provide a high level of precision while also supporting a minimal, but still accessible, on/off zone for the afterburner. The larger the cushion, the less precise the range of motion (the lesser the degree the player can set the velocity to specific values) would be. It may be possible to provide some kind of mod to alter it at some point, but the reduction in control accuracy/precision may not be worth it.
StarWraith 3D Games
picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

Agreed, I'd prefer a mechanical solution anyway but that would mean to open the stick and I don't want to lose guarantee, it's still too new. Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried this before and is it possible at all?
deep space trader
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

From what I've read, you can increase or decrease the level of force within the throttle detent at both ends, but they can't be easily modified to change their positions. I suspect it might require some custom fabricating to relocate the inserts and/or change their shape. Someone with experience may have more to offer.
StarWraith 3D Games
picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

If you refer to the rotary knob on the left side this just seems to control the overall tension of the throttle. But I've found a picture from the throttle's inside and think I'll simply remove that stupid detent piece which should be trivial. Apparently it's not adjustable. Here are the pictures (first post, second picture): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=67680
deep space trader
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

the x52 has a mechanical detent in the tension adjust knob mechanism.

you can adjust the tension but the position of the detent is fixed.

from the way its designed, theres no way to relocate the detent without fabricating a new mechanism but you can
file down the bump on the cam to eliminate the detent and still retain the tension feature.

I know because I did it.

[Edited on 4-9-2014 by Capt_Caveman]
picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

I just removed that boil. It's embedded in a cast plastic frame and can't be moved but fortunately can easily be removed. Just be warned that it is covered with the most strange paste I've ever touched: Looks like some sort of silicon fat but is extremely gooey. Not quite easy to remove from your fingers with common soap. :P
deep space trader
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

good job :cool: