[Fan Fiction] I179 *** WARNING! This thread rated PG

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

Everybody loves a good cliffhanger, right? :P
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

From post: 166888, Topic: tid=11180, author=NLS wrote:SeeJay part of the atmosphere is where he pauses the narration.
Plus it makes you more eager to read the next part.
I know. I'm just trying to be funny but obviously I failed completelly! :P
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

Don't worry, everybody's failing in my story, too! :P
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

From post: 166870, Topic: tid=11180, author=Prej wrote: Another glance at the fuel gauge didn’t raise his hopes either. 68 units. Enough for maybe fifteen hours of drifting.

[Edited on 16-1-14 by Prej]
Since when do we need fuel for drifting? No criticism, just a thought.

Great story, by the way.

[Edited on 1-19-2014 by -splosives-]
SplosivesCorp: Bringing people closer to destruction.
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

Well, the "Perseus" is an old type of ship. ;)
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 166914, Topic: tid=11180, author=Prej wrote:Well, the "Perseus" is an old type of ship. ;)
:P:P:P
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

From post: 166914, Topic: tid=11180, author=Prej wrote:Well, the "Perseus" is an old type of ship. ;)
I don't see how that changes anything. Even spacerockets we make today don't use fuel for drifting, only for accelerating. You could say you used the fuel for your jumpdrive, which is how normal people travel in Evochron.
Once again, no criticism, just trying to make it more realistic.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Maybe fuel is need to power vitals on-board. Oxygen pumps, heat, computers etc.

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

From post: 166938, Topic: tid=11180, author=SeeJay wrote:Maybe fuel is need to power vitals on-board. Oxygen pumps, heat, computers etc.
Yes, and it's actually mentioned in the story itself. :)

Also, I didn't want to make the story follow ingame mechanics in every way, since it would make storytelling quite tedious. I rather wanted to concentrate on the mood and the setting, not technological details.
I hope it's not too much of a buzz-kill and you still enjoy the story. :)

[Edited on 20-1-14 by Prej]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 166936, Topic: tid=11180, author=-splosives- wrote:
I don't see how that changes anything. Even spacerockets we make today don't use fuel for drifting, only for accelerating. You could say you used the fuel for your jumpdrive, which is how normal people travel in Evochron.
Once again, no criticism, just trying to make it more realistic.
Technically, space isn't a true vacuum - there are a few atoms per m3 that would slow you down :D Within a system, depending on direction there is also solar wind - outside a system there is the galactic wind. There is also the occa:)sional burst of the attitude jets to keep you pointing in the right direction and to compensate for gravitational nudges, internal energy needs for heating, coffee, lights, sending messages, watching videos, air and water recycling . . . etc

All in all I estimate that unless the Perseus is built like a piece of paper moving face on and heading for the Sun, a litre or two of fuel might last a few years :P

:)
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 166942, Topic: tid=11180, author=DaveK wrote:... unless the Perseus is built like a piece of paper moving face on and heading for the Sun, a litre or two of fuel might last a few years :P
:cool: Unless you take a lot of hot showers.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 166946, Topic: tid=11180, author=Marvin wrote:
From post: 166942, Topic: tid=11180, author=DaveK wrote:... unless the Perseus is built like a piece of paper moving face on and heading for the Sun, a litre or two of fuel might last a few years :P
:cool: Unless you take a lot of hot showers.
Hot showers???? Now that sounds like an upgrade worth making :D
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: You want to see a real updgrade? Check out SeeJay's upgraded website!
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

From post: 166939, Topic: tid=11180, author=Prej wrote:
Also, I didn't want to make the story follow ingame mechanics in every way, since it would make storytelling quite tedious. I rather wanted to concentrate on the mood and the setting, not technological details.
I hope it's not too much of a buzz-kill and you still enjoy the story. :)

[Edited on 20-1-14 by Prej]
It's a great story, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to tell you this, or even read the story in the first place.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Anyway, now we've got all that off our chests back to more important things . . .

. . . when will we get our next story fix? :P

:)
ImageImage
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

Working on it! I've been a little busy lately, so the delay is in no way intentional.
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

Great writing Prej! Please hurry with the next episode 😮

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback, guys! :)

The next part is almost done, so get ready! ;)
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

The red dot on the radar was speeding in their direction, though for the Captain it was more of a smear than a dot now. He already lost a lot of blood and was starting to fade out of reality. He knew, he had to get a hold of himself in order to execute the almost insane plan he devised – to destroy the
enemy ship and capture their precious cargo, antimatter.

They were on a collision course with the pirate ship, when at a range of 800 the Captain released one of the “Perseus’� two missiles. A moment after that he started firing the ship’s guns, hoping to break through the opponent’s shields and damage the hull.

“Incoming Missile� – this warning meant, that the pirates had the same idea of attacking.
The Captain waited for the missile to come closer and engaged the countermeasure system, hoping to fool it and get it off their heat signature.

In the meantime the “Perseus� was being battered by the enemy’s cannons, with its shields rapidly dropping. A direct missile hit now would leave them defenceless and their hull vulnerable to enemy fire. Yet, the countermeasures worked, sending the enemy Rockeye on a wild goose chase after the flares.

Meanwhile, their own missile was about to connect. The enemy ship also released their countermeasures, yet to no avail. In a glorious blast, the Viper lowered the enemy’s shields to a dwindling 15%, the “Perseus’� cannons giving them the rest and starting to pound their hull.

The two ships screamed past each other, preparing for another pass.

The Captain pulled the ship around, simultaneously engaging the afterburner. He knew that this manoeuvre would cost them almost all of their remaining fuel, but he had to take the risk. The antimatter stored in the enemy ship’s cargo bay could buy them some time, possibly even save them. Maybe someone would find them, maybe even in time to save his life before he bled to death.

As the “Perseus� slowly regained positive speed, the Captain watched the enemy ship do its turn. The distance to the pirates was 2000, well within range of the second Viper missile he had on board. Without waiting for them to approach, he fired it.

The Viper homed in onto the pirate ship and was soon only a bright blue light moving across space. Meanwhile the Captain, still firing the afterburner, put the “Perseus� on course for another approach.

“Enemy ship is gaining speed! Sir, it looks like they’re...�, the Science Officer reported with a trembling voice.
“No! No! Goddamnit, no!�, cried the Captain as he watched the pirates speed up, their ship about to perform a sector jump.

The Viper had no chance to reach its target as it disappeared in a flash of blue light, jumping in an unknown direction, probably many sectors away.

“No! No! No. No...�, the Captain’s voice became weaker as he slumped over his console, his hope for survival now entirely gone.

A chill went down the Science Officer’s spine as he realised that only a miracle could help them now. Cold sweat appeared on his forehead and his hands began to shake in fear. He looked over to the Captain, hoping for him to say something, give him at least a tiny glimpse of hope.
The Captain didn’t move or speak. He stared out the window, his look empty, his body shaking and experiencing heavy trauma caused by both his injury and fear.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before risking a look at the fuel gauge.

19 units.

“Shut down life support in the crew quarters and cargo bay.�, he calmly ordered the Science Officer.
“Sir, what about the Navigator? He’s in the quarters.�
“Do I need to repeat myself?�, the Captain sneered. “You may as well join him, if you like.�
This said, he pulled a gun from under his vest and pointed it at the Science Officer.
“So, what’s it gonna be, boy?�

The Science Officer watched the Captain in terror. He knew this man wasn’t to be joked with, much less now, in his state and in this situation.
He took a cautious look around the bridge, trying to find the nail gun the Navigator used before.
“Looking for this?�, said the Captain nodding at his console, where the gun laid.

The Science Officer was petrified. He didn’t know what would come next, a shot, or maybe some sort of divine intervention.

“I really don’t have the least of a scruple shooting you right now, so choose wisely, kid. I’m offering you the last gasps of air on this ship, quite generous of me, isn’t it?�, said the Captain, waving his gun at the Officer.

They exchanged looks for a short while, after which the Science Officer faced his console. With a sigh he pushed some buttons and leaned back in his seat, burying his face in his hands.

With a hiss, the bridge’s door sealed, the life support system slowly pumping the remaining air from the rest of the ship into its auxiliary tank.

The Captain turned to his console and pointed the ship in the general direction of Sirius. He engaged the afterburner for a moment and let inertia do the rest.
The remaining fuel was good for maybe three hours of life support, provided he would live that long. He was starting to get cold and was losing feeling in his limbs. He was afraid of what was about to happen, but didn’t have the strength to oppose it any longer. Facing the inevitable, he just sat back in his seat and looked into the stars.

Meanwhile, the Science Officer was trying to get a hold of himself. He knew he couldn’t do anything that hasn’t been done yet and that they were a mere grain of sand on the universe’s endless beach. They were neither the first, nor the last ones to be stranded in deep space without fuel, waiting for someone to find them or the air to run out. The options were as clear as never before, it was just a matter of waiting it out.

Time passed in total silence. They didn’t talk, trying to conserve the remaining air that was being provided by the life support system.

With a clunk the gun landed in the pool of blood that formed underneath the Captain’s seat. His hand hung on the seat’s side, not even trying to grasp the weapon anymore.

“Yes... The yellow one is ok... I don’t know... Me too, Tina... How...�, the Captain mumbled, clearly delirious. After a few moments he went silent.

The Science Officer stood up and approached him slowly, only to realise being the last of the “Perseus’� crew to be alive.

He pulled the Captain out of his seat. As he dragged him into the back of the bridge, the ever so precious hum of the life support system went silent. Along with it, the lights died, and the only dim illumination was that provided by the stars.

The Science Officer stumbled back to the Captain’s seat. He picked up the gun from the bloody floor, wiped it off on his overalls and sat down.

After a while it began to get colder, and the air started to get the stale taste of impending death. The Science Officer was getting light-headed, and knowing this would be the last moments of consciousness, he took a long glance out the window before facing the gun on his lap.

A short flash illuminated the bridge.

Three weeks later, a navy patrol found the “Perseus� adrift in Sirius space.

McInnes never got his money back.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Excellent story mate.

I never saw that coming either. That all died that is LOL!:o

Happy ending indeed!:P

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

Thanks, I really hope you folks enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it. :)
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Maybe you should take the next story (if there is one coming) to another level and make a quest out of it!;)

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

I need to play some more EM to get inspired. This story was actually the result of ingame experiences I had. :)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 167030, Topic: tid=11180, author=SeeJay wrote:Maybe you should take the next story (if there is one coming) to another level and make a quest out of it!;)
:cool: And, with luck, somebody will actually DL the quest and play it. :o Or not.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Awe, every body died, just like in real life sooner or later, but even death is a relative mater for some!......Is a zombie dead or a live?.......;):P:cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good