[EM 2.728] Multiplayer Disconnections (ISP reliability problems) *INFO*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
spookyplanet
Ensign
Ensign

Post by spookyplanet »

Hi All

I use to play this game approx 16 months ago and I stopped as when I play multiplayer on my server or if I join multiplayer on one of the listed servers I always got disconnected after 10 mins. Most of the time I don't even know that ive been disconnected, its only when I press the key above the tab key to get a list of players that I notice that im on my own. This also happens to my friends as well. We have also tried diff PC's. We gave up in the end.

But...

Looking at the main site I noticed a new version of client and server so I thought arh lets give it another go. Also many other players have this issue according to the Forums and Vice has responded with "make sure you have client and server vesion 1.8b or above to rectify this issue"

So I downloaded version 2.xx the other day and yep its still the same. My mate and I see ach other for approx 10 mins then both of us get disconnected from my server after about 10 mins. Also I have tried again with the listed servers and the same thing.

Please can some one help me with this as I really want to play the multplayer on my server :(

Regards
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Since you are in the UK, you may want to visit this thread: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10990

Run some of the same tests and see if your ISP has similar reliability problems. Perhaps you also have the same ISP as that player? It's also possible that even if the ISP is different, you may encounter the same node/relay problems. If your friends use the same ISP and/or relay through the same node(s), then they would likely encounter the same problem when trying to play over the internet.

So far, just about every time I have looked into this problem (disconnects after 10-15 minutes or so) in detail for someone, it has turned out to be some form of reliability problem with their internet connection/ISP, generally at one or more nodes. And recently, it's always been the same ISP/nodes in the UK/Europe.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Hi spookyplanet :D

I'm one who is in the UK and has disconnection problems regardless of what I do at my end. Frustrating, but MP is so friendly and fun that for me, my 'work around' is worth the hassle. Basically I save very often and check the pilot list frequently. There can be several minutes between losing the connection and the game telling me about it - the delay seems to be due to the game only checking with the server when I carry out certain actions - just pootling around doesn't seem to trigger the warning. However since all the logged on pilots 'disappear' from the pilot list at the point the connection goes down I can tell the connection is blown, exit the game and log back on again.

Works for the way I play the game (explore, trade, help people where I can) but I can imagine that for combat jocks it could be too frustrating! ;)

As Vice said, it seems to be certain nodes on the internet that either cause packet losses or delays! :o

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Starbuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Starbuck »

Just a thought. Galactica1 is a uk based server. Have you tried that?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Not only is G1 in the UK, but it doesn't drop off line. Leastwise, not every ten minutes. If it does go down, it's usually due to stormy weather ... or somebody kicking out the plug.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Trying other servers is certainly worth an attempt. However, since the problem is usually with the ISP/nodes, the disconnects will still generally occur on any server they may try. It may be intermittent though, as noted in that other thread. While LAN will work fine (unless they have a hardware problem), any connection out over the internet will have to go through one or more of the unreliable node(s) of the ISP where the problem can occur.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 165522, Topic: tid=11089, author=Vice wrote:Trying other servers is certainly worth an attempt. However, since the problem is usually with the ISP/nodes, the disconnects will still generally occur on any server they may try. It may be intermittent though, as noted in that other thread. While LAN will work fine (unless they have a hardware problem), any connection out over the internet will have to go through one or more of the unreliable node(s) of the ISP where the problem can occur.
Good News: I use Galactica for MP during the day and although I do get disconnected it's a far rarer experience than using the US servers. However, meeting others is rare as well :D

Bad News: most of the MP action is during UK mid/late evening and on the US servers!

Even if no-one else is on, MP is still good - more stations and a chance at least that someone will appear :P

Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
jimbobslimbob
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by jimbobslimbob »

Being one of the unlucky ones that has been through this I can tell you it is indeed certain nodes - in my case belonging to Virgin Media in the UK.

My solution was to change ISP. Since I have, all has been well. There is absolutely no point in going to Virgin about it, as they will fob you off for weeks on end.

If you take a look at the post Vice linked, you will see my forum post on the Virgin site regarding the issues I was having too, and the complete lack of care for their customers.

I can now vouch for Plusnet - they are infinitely better than Virgin in every single respect.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 165535, Topic: tid=11089, author=jimbobslimbob wrote:Being one of the unlucky ones that has been through this I can tell you it is indeed certain nodes - in my case belonging to Virgin Media in the UK.

My solution was to change ISP. Since I have, all has been well. There is absolutely no point in going to Virgin about it, as they will fob you off for weeks on end.

If you take a look at the post Vice linked, you will see my forum post on the Virgin site regarding the issues I was having too, and the complete lack of care for their customers.

I can now vouch for Plusnet - they are infinitely better than Virgin in every single respect.
Sighs . . . I can't see me getting a sympathetic response from her ladyship - we've been with Virgin for decades (NTLWorld.com days) and this is really the only glitch, though I agree their customer service requires a FT at HQ! Also the speed we get is 2x PlusNet's

ImageImage
jimbobslimbob
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by jimbobslimbob »

From post: 165536, Topic: tid=11089, author=DaveK wrote:
From post: 165535, Topic: tid=11089, author=jimbobslimbob wrote:Being one of the unlucky ones that has been through this I can tell you it is indeed certain nodes - in my case belonging to Virgin Media in the UK.

Sighs . . . I can't see me getting a sympathetic response from her ladyship - we've been with Virgin for decades (NTLWorld.com days) and this is really the only glitch, though I agree their customer service requires a FT at HQ! Also the speed we get is 2x PlusNet's

That's fair enough, not everyone wants to change ISP's because of it and I can fully sympathise with that. On principle alone (after the way I was treated by them) I had it in my mind I wanted to change. I can tell you that I will never be touching anything with their name on again.

Something interesting came of my final talk with them (when I rang up to cancel my contract). They stated that their service was oversubscribed. When I asked what was to be done about it, they could not give me an answer, and suggested that I just "put up with it".

It appears that more and more people are starting to have problems with them recently, and since Virgin are so tight, they are not doing much to solve the problem. The result is, that it will get a lot worse as more people sign up with them.

Since Virgin use hybrid coax/fibre for their infrastructure, they are going to fall behind too. BT (Plusnet in my case) use fibre to the cabinet (or home if you are lucky enough) - no coax anywhere. What does this mean? It means that they have a much more stable network, that is future-proof. Virgin did it on the cheap, as quick as they could to get in before BT. They are paying for that decision now.

...anyway, I am rambling :), just thought I would share what I have learned with you all - and why I wouldn't touch Virgin with a barge-pole.

Good luck! :)