Thread revival: Maybe not EM mobile, but what about tools?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Cheri50000
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cheri50000 »

Hi, guys!

I got an idea! Let's look into about putting the evochron mercenary on the mobile device such as an ipad, iPhone and some other handheld device. Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

Hola.

Bad idea i think, lot of keys, combinations and simulation for a touch screen :) And evochron without this is simply other game :)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: If it's an app you're looking for, ask these guys:

DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Post by DennyMala »

From post: 165503, Topic: tid=11088, author=AdamSelene wrote:Hola.

Bad idea i think, lot of keys, combinations and simulation for a touch screen :) And evochron without this is simply other game :)
It's more not game than another game I guess... can't put a sim on those devices without scrapping the sim part.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
jimbobslimbob
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by jimbobslimbob »

Not sure the game would work too well on a mobile. As others have stated, its got too many controls and is a little too complex for that. Some form of map/tracker/hud extension may though - and that would be quite useful.
Vanight
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vanight »

Hi, I am new to EM. As a noob, the first thing I am noticing is the need or a scratch-pad and another separate laptop or what I ended up using is a Tablet.

I am printing cheat sheets, and now I am looking for maps to print. Suddenly, it dawned on me that it would be great to have some little mini-apps for various purposes for IOS and droid.

Evoch EZ Keys:
The first of which would be a very intuitive app with all the keyboard and controls. You could possibly have a favorites - set of controls you constantly forget. There could be some static categories as well.

Evoch EZ Nav:
This would be a larger app obviously, and what I am thinking is that if the person who has produced http://evochron.junholt.se/ could do a mobile app that could basically synchronize with a persons profile for the above site and populate only what you want to the mobile app.

Some hints for the contracts and such would be great to have for noobs. That way when I see a contract to transport someone, I can look it up on my mobile app and get a summary of what I am up against, how far, how much fuel, major threats... etc..

Another thing that would be cool is the ability to have your ship profile tied to your mobile app. so you can do a resource evaluation. Like this: I have all the specs of my ship, character, crew in the app. I see a contract at a station to transport someone. I look it up on my ipad and press evaluate button. It then proceeds to tell me the distance and if my current fuel resources are enough, if not, where I would need to get fuel and recommended stations in the path. Whether my ship is configured to handle threats I may likely encounter.

Ok maybe that is too much, but at least a way to bring up maps, systems, enter coordinates, plot prospective courses, show a dest. in relation to my current position quickly and easily and intuitively. on my ipad so I can stop printing out all this junk. LOL.

Thoughts?
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

"apps" are very different from real computer software. Most apps are written in Java or some version of Java. There are also other concerns with apps not being as secure as PC software.

This game is written, designed and played on PC's and I don't think Vice would want to have to start writing for other devices and then need too support them too.

If a third party were too develop something, I am sure we would take a look at it. But you have to remember it has to be available too all as not too give anyone and unfair advantage. We all have PC's in some form or another but when it comes to mobile devices that can not be said.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I think something like what you want has been done ... if not as an application, then as a second-monitor program. Some of the stuff, 'though, is available as readout info on the Nav screen (F1) or Inventory (F3). And the Travel Buddy, available at SeeJay's website, can help with determining fuel requirements and estimated time en route.
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

When I had a second monitor, I used the Evometrics programme. It's a downloadable version of the Evochron map on Seejay's website. You can install it without the map locations found by other players (or with if you want), so no spoilers. Then you can log your own discoveries and update the map as you go. It also displays real-time data about your ship status, shields, fuel, cargo etc. And your current position on the map. Combine that with the Travel Buddy, and you have a pretty comprehensive suite of readout displays available to keep open on your second monitor. I believe there is another similar programme called the EM Tool, but I've never used that.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Thread for EM-Tool: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8916

I'd DL from SeeJay's website.
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

Just read that MaxiVista have an app that let's you use your iPad as a second monitor for your PC: http://www.maxivista.com/ipad-as-a-second-monitor.htm

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan