[EM 2.708] Error 3002: Could not load sound at line 86606 *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Gorodecki
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gorodecki »

I have tried to solve this problem using the quick solutions outlined in the thread at the top of the page, but using cmd.exe as well as downloading msadp32.acm from the forum did not help. I also tried re-downloading the game from steam.

System specs:
Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit
AMD Phenom II x3 2.8 overclocked to 3.6ghz (if it matters)
nVidia GTX650 ti
OCZ 4GB RAM

I have a standard Realtek card integrated with my motherboard, I think it's ALC899a.

Just to give some background information. The game was running fine few months ago. I had a little break and played something else. About 3 days ago I tried to solve sound problems in Freelancer (very common problem with Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec). I did not touch msadp32.acm at all, but maybe it was somehow affected by it. Today I tried to run Evochron and it did not run.

Also bear in mind that I have a steam version of the game. I don't know how to check if it's 2.488 or 2.708, but yesterday I had a minor update so I assume it updated the game to version 2.708 (hence the title).

Thanks in advance.

[Edited on 7-15-2013 by Vice]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Sounds like whatever you did 3 days ago has impacted the default Windows codec system. That can occur if you install 3rd party codec 'packs', which may overwrite or otherwise change/alter the default codecs in Windows. We'll probably need to learn more about exactly what you did in order to try and determine what kind of repairs/restoration of the default Windows codecs you need to perform. If you've restored the default Windows codec and it still doesn't work, then there may still be something lingering in the registry that was changed/damaged.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Post by Rubber Chicken »

The version number should be on the Main Menu screen where you select Training, Single player, Multiplayer, etc. I believe it is in the lower right corner of the screen.
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Gorodecki
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gorodecki »

Sounds like whatever you did 3 days ago has impacted the default Windows codec system. That can occur if you install 3rd party codec 'packs', which may overwrite or otherwise change/alter the default codecs in Windows. We'll probably need to learn more about exactly what you did in order to try and determine what kind of repairs/restoration of the default Windows codecs you need to perform. If you've restored the default Windows codec and it still doesn't work, then there may still be something lingering in the registry that was changed/damaged.
When I was trying to fix Freelancer problems i didn't download whole packs. I just downloaded Fraunhofer codec from this website:
http://www.komeil.com/blog/enable-fraun ... cm-windows

I don't think there were any viruses in the downloaded data, but I was never good at judging that kind of thing. Anyway I only tried to 'play' with Fraunhofer and did not touch msadp32 if it makes any difference. Today, after I realised EM does not work, I made a quick search for possible solutions. I saw one of your older posts suggesting the use of K-lite pack:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... basic.html

It didn't help, but I don't think the pack contained any viruses and such. As to problems lingering in the registry - if there are any I don't know how to deal with them. I don't really understand this codec stuff well and would require more detailed instructions if you want me to go through it.
The version number should be on the Main Menu screen where you select Training, Single player, Multiplayer, etc. I believe it is in the lower right corner of the screen.
I can't access the main menu. I only get to pilot loading screen. When I try to load the pilot profile I get the error.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yeah, the main menu will be blocked until the sound issue is resolved.

It isn't that 3rd party codec packs may contain viruses (although some may, depending on the location you get them from), it's that they can alter how sound plays in Windows on your system by changing how codecs are installed and used on your system. That's where the problem can stem from. If they interfere with how Windows normally loads and plays back sound files (in this case, adpcm), it can impact the software you use that depend on that functionality. So it is much more likely that your system simply does not have the required codec installed properly and/or associated registry entries have been altered/changed in a way that has impacted needed functionality.

Do you know how to use regedit? If so, I've provided steps and the registry locations to check for how the adpcm codec is setup in Windows here: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9308

I would recommend checking those next (along with installing default codecs again since you indicated you may have installed the K-Lite codec pack). I would also check to see if that other codec you installed has entries in the registry that could interfere with default playback of adpcm format audio.
StarWraith 3D Games
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Gorodecki, welcome to the game and forum!.....Hope to see you out there some time once you get it working!.....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Gorodecki
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gorodecki »

Unfortunately, I do not know how to use regedit.

Is there any quick and relatively easy way of restoring codec settings to default? I tried to use a system restore, but the system did not establish system restore points before I started messing with the codecs. Needless to say I would rather avoid complete OS re-installation, but I am willing to do it if it's absolutely necessary.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Let's try this, send me a quick e-mail (via the address at starwraith.com > contact) from the address you want to receive some instructions at and I'll try to walk you through how to check registry entries easily. If necessary, I can probably put together a file that will correct the registry for you, but I'd prefer to start by manually checking and fixing them first. Also, please send me a msinfo report attached to the same e-mail. That will help me know exactly what kind of setup you are working with. Steps to prepare that are available here: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#14
StarWraith 3D Games
Gorodecki
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gorodecki »

Sorry for the delay. I have ended up doing a clean install of my OS. I had problems with other software so it made sense to just fix everything during the weekend. I have not had time to play EM yet, but I did run it once just to see if the issue remains. It seems that I get to main menu with no problems. Thank you for your time Vice!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

No problem, glad you got it sorted. Thanks for the follow up.
StarWraith 3D Games