SimPit project 30 Years In The Making... ;)

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
ChewyHoops
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChewyHoops »

The 21st Century. Wow.
Maybe I'm a little jaded, but I thought we'd have flying cars by now. Unlimited free energy. And the best part - easy access to SPAAAAACE! All of our sci-fi dreams come true...

Not the first time I've been disappointed in life. ;)

At 14, I was playing board games like Space Master and building incredible spacecraft on paper. Computer games were green-on-black. Imagination ruled. In my mind, I could see every panel, hear every subsystem complaining, feel every rock and blaster hitting the hull of my ships. Maybe I didn't get enough sun, or put too much effort into escaping the real world. But it was a real enough world to me. And I made a promise that NO MATTER WHAT, I would some day build the cockpit to a spaceship so cool that you would feel like you were REALLY THERE...

I actually found the Space Master books in my parent's basement about a month ago, long thought destroyed or lost. I found my ship schematics, crew rosters - the whole damn universe! All the memories came back, and then I remembered the promise. The 14-year old wakes from a 30-year nap, and then starts scheming.

Why couldn't I base this project on Evochron? I saw how AMAZINGLY APPROACHABLE everything was! Modding, sim-pitting, programming and wiring - holy cow! This could really be done! Look at what the community has accomplished, or how approachable and dedicated Vice is to his creation. This is a LIVING game, free to create as we wish. Well, I wish for a damn space ship!

Then I went a bit nutty (nutty-er...?) and began re-writing the story of the Madderly's Lady, an eyesore of a freighter held together with kitbashing, bailing twine, and creative interfacing. Virtually none of the equipment on board is standard, and a good deal of it is either overpowered and running a little hot, or overkill for a humble merchant vessel. I am up to 30 or so pages on notes, sketches and function maps just trying to plan out the stages to integrate these things into the sim. The "imagination interface", if you will.

So, I am currently on version 1.2 of my "GeekPit" project. I have collected (so far):
-39" main tv/monitor
-2-22" monitors (perfect size as vertical on either side of 39")
-2 Cougar MFDs,
-Saitek X45 throttle/flight stick.
-17" monitor for systems or Nav,
-Mimo 7" touchscreen with custom control profiles
-Adruino UNO & Mega boards to run simpit-specific functions like LEDS, lights, fans, environmental.
-About 3 dozen assorted project boxes, cool looking doo-dads, and scavenged specialty switches, parts and panels.

The game itself is running on a fairly fast Win7 PC with a new ATI Eyefinity-capable video card. Additional low-end PCs will run monitors, displays and readouts throughout the cockpit.

So far, all the plug-and-play stuff works, and testing the triple monitor config this week. I have never seen 2 vertical monitors with a horizontal main, so this should be fun. Structurally, the simpit project is more of a grown-up "playset". Evochron fleshes out the simpit, makes it come to life. Every live switch, light and indicator will be fed via information from savedata.txt or user input that feeds back to the game via keyboard emulation via PS2,USB and network PCs. Prototype it all via "glass cockpit" touchscreen or mouse-driven "panels" and finish off with physical boxes bolted into the space available. A kitbash miner/hauler a la Millennium Falcon, Firefly, or Cowboy's ship from "Battle Beyond The Stars". (Admit it. You watched it. More than once.)

The interior will be made up of 1-2" sched40 PVC pipe for strength, ease of use, and potential cool factor (if painted properly). MDF, blueboard foam and some really awesome panel dressing stuff from Home Depot will work well for the inside enclosures. Detailing with PVC electrical conduit and boxes are cheap and can be airbrushed to look more "tech", and can be used to support small displays and less "heavy" gadgets, and be re-positionable for different pilots. I have hundreds of switches and LEDS just waiting for a functional home. The command chair is being made from a square-cushioned office chair, MDF & wood detailing, with supports for controllers and head-level small monitors.

This is NOT a sleek, pristine design concept. My systems panels will likely all be different manufacturers, GUIs and layouts. A kit-bashed spaceship for the working space-faring man.

I will post pics as the process evolves into the enclosure stage , but even now what I have is playable. And it will continue to be so - it's a GAME! My 9-year-old son had a 10-minute training session and was jumping from mining rocks to trade stations, offering design ideas and criticisms. I told him I will build a fighter pit from the spare parts so he can fly with me.

I just have the vision, the notes, a simple playable frame mount for the monitor/MFDS, and a pile of parts right now. Luckily I have a few friends who share the passion and enthusiasm, and letting them fly in it as it evolves around us has been a fantastic experience, and they offer their skills and expertise. It's a modular adventure that doesn't take away my love for just hopping into the game for a few hours.

Thanks for reading. I will post more if anyone is interested. The whole design process it being documented, evolving as the on-paper ship become the physical "set" cockpit over the next year.
The Madderly\'s Lady SimPit Project: http://madderlyslady.blogspot.com
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Pictures would be nice. (Even though they will most likely result in some degree of cockpit-envy.)
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

That sounds awesome and welcome to the game and forum ChewyHoops!....Hope to see you out there some time!.....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

I built one also using an arduino mega.
http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10837

I have an interface program I wrote just for mercenary that outputs various data and motion cues for up to 6 dof motion platform.

your welcome to use it if you like :)

[Edited on 7-3-2013 by capt_cronic]
ChewyHoops
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChewyHoops »

Cronic - your projects were part of the reason I thought I could do this at all! I will respectfully pick your brain when I am stuck hard on something. The fun of this project is kit-bashing and "re-purposing!", then sharing! When I get stuck programming, I do graphic design. When I get stuck there, I paint. When that doesn't satisfy, I breadboard circuits. And above all else, I take an hour or two out and FLY to keep my head in the game! Oh, and beer helps... Up to a point...

I will be posting the pics, sketches and notes on a subset of my business web site. Like everything else, it's also a work in progress. It would be easier to post links out to a separate site and just reference them on the forums. Someone will see a better way to approach something, and that's what I need. I know (in my head & on paper) how each part "looks". I know what it "does". But a lot of things are black box right now.

I am starting with the basics - mapping and positioning my existing "plug and pray" controls, trying different configs for the input devices, and making a ton of notes as I fly on how to create the physical interfaces. The one that keeps me up all night right now is the Nav computer. I have a hard enough time using it in-game, with a mouse! Trying to design a plug-and-play unit that can do everything without pulling the pilot out of the game is rough, but it's the most vital subsystem. A computer salvage place had a few touchscreens from old medical devices that would look and work great, and networked PC to run it back to EM might be a suitable option.

I am trying to design the subsystems to be modular, and the plans will be available for anyone to build any or all of them for their own needs. The monitor stand/center console supports, control pods, and captain's chair are all literally in "pipe clamp and duct tape" status. I am early on, but it's all working. When something clever or pretty comes together, you guys will see it here! I will post snaps of my sketchbook this week. Those are kind of fun, and the basis for the physical builds I have been tinkering with.

The first post was mainly to judge community interest, and I can see that's definitely present and accounted for!

I will be on multiplayer as soon as I sort out crashes on entering. I think it's a custom hud/cockpit mod.

Thanks for the interest and keep an eye out for pics and info this week!
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Hi ChewyHoops

I can't wait to see the results :D

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
SchiTzo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SchiTzo »

Chewy
I will be checking back often, can't wqait to see what ya got goin on...
Callsign: M3atSh1eld

\"Happy Hunting\"
ChewyHoops
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChewyHoops »

I made a few updates to the blogspot page:
http://madderlyslady.blogspot.com
Note the gratuitous use of duct tape and creative stacking...
Capn_Cronic inspired me quite a bit, but my summer "rush" at work is non-existent. I will be playing with the toys I already got for a bit, mocking up a few panels and trying out different configurations. I also have a bunch of sketches and notes I need to scan in. I will be posting adventures in interfacing, construction, and game modifications so anyone with a little patience and a little spare cash can build some or all of the parts I am building.

She's fun to fly already, so every piece added pulls you in more! I tweaked the FOV for my large screen last night and that adds a HUGE sense of "being there!"

Thanks for checking out the progress!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Very cool, thanks for sharing!.....;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
ChewyHoops
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChewyHoops »

Status update (of sorts)...
I have been updating the madderlyslady.blogspot.com site with some pics and such. Amazing how much things change from concept to prototype.

The three monitor setup is probably out. Honestly, it's not that much more immersive for all the B.S. to try to make it work, and be stable. And FORGET trying to get PLP orientation with Eyefinity or Soffth. So, the effort to build a 3-monitor mount was somewhat for naught. I have been running EMTools and a static Nav Map on the side monitors. Now I am looking to DOWNGRADE the 22's to make better data monitors.

I got a Teensy3 board and then (impulsively) bought an Arduino Micro for button interfaces. Play them off of each other, see which I like better... A great time to recognize that my programming skills reset themselves to zero. It's NOT like riding a bike! Maybe I should ask my 15 year old for pointers... I found a TON of useful programs and utilities, but none of them are either current, work with the large collection of hardware I have, or only work with FSX or other flight sims. The Mechwarrior /MechPit forums are awesome, but those guys fight in a shoebox... I have to design the interface and display software myself. No "off the shelf" stuff seems to fit (or work)...

Interfacing between savedata.txt and something meaningful to drive displays, LCDs and such is well beyond me (see comment above). Good news is, I have all of this stuff to do it. If it takes 2 years to learn to build and program it all, so be it.

Best part is I can still hop into what I have together, fly for 3-4 hours, and make notes on what will be. Progress notes as I make progress. And check the blog if you're curious. It's still a lot of fun, even with solder iron burns and bleary eyes from late night web research!
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

the hardest part for me was the software.
haveing to learn a new programming language from scratch (python with pygame library)
and then devolop the interface i needed.

I'm sure me and a few others can help with whatever you need.

[Edited on 7-17-2013 by capt_cronic]
Jk-77
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jk-77 »

From post: 163231, Topic: tid=10897, author=Marvin wrote::cool: Pictures would be nice. (Even though they will most likely result in some degree of cockpit-envy.)
Haha, yeah, immensly jealous already... :P

Lovely work so far! Will be keeping an eye on the blog for progress...

[Edited on 18-7-2013 by Jk-77]
ChewyHoops
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChewyHoops »

Oh, snap...
I "honor" of my 44th birthday, I kinda sorta on impulse...

... Bought a desktop CNC machine.

Mind you, I just moved the sim stuff back downstairs (95+ degrees upstairs!) and I can't even fly until I reconfigure and remount controls, etc. But somehow I just *HAD* to get a CNC machine. That mean, of course, that I will have the sickest backlit switch panels and MFD mounts! Unfortunately, they will be lying next to the computer, or duct taped to the frame. I still don't have the center console built!
ChewyHoops
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChewyHoops »

Still plugging away. Seems like life has a way of distracting you with petty crap like kids, significant others, etc.
I get in flying time when I can, and have gathered even more pieces to round out the next phase of design and implementation. The CNC machine is running - now all I need is the path from Illustrator/vector to engraving.

Updates to the blogspot page (including the *new* center console!) will be posted as soon as I TAKE A VACATION FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 6 YEARS!

Keep an eye out, guys - time to start making something cool happen, and then share it!
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

vacation ? what in the world is that ? :o
Shieldwolf
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Shieldwolf »

woof...... The veggie state. :)
ChewyHoops
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChewyHoops »

It's ALIIIVE!
Well, ok - it's not alive YET. Ok, it's not even partially assembled yet...

I went on a spending binge, after a dead winter and a number of personal setbacks. I took the time to redesign, reconfigure, cipher, tweak, doodle, daydream... And now, it's time to start putting the old girl together. I *may* have access to a camper trailer (not a pop-up!) that would make a perfect container for the project. It's grown well beyond the space I have available, and even the smallest enclosed plans I have seen won't be able to house everything. I need a bigger space...

So, imagine if you will - the ENTIRE environment will mimic the interior of a spacecraft! Even the damn BATHROOM will be redone! I'm falling back on prop and set design experience here, good old "cheat to win" ingenuity for wall panels and "greeblies". I got my hands on real aviation toggles, ordered dozens of switches, hundreds of LEDS and strips, another handful of arduinos, joystick cards, GP-Wiz and LED-WIZ boards... Now I just need to get the game(s) to talk to them and build the illusion of a working spacecraft interior.

CNC - check. LEDs - check. Controllers - check. Willing and patient partner - check.

I know the good Cap'n is one hell of a programmer/engineer - anyone else willing to put in a bit of advice on software to hardware interfaces?
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

u2u sent :cool:
ChewyHoops
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChewyHoops »

I've been adding to the blogspot page, and I'll continue to update and add pics and progress there. Still waiting on word back about the camper. I REALLY need the space. Damn kids and wanting their own rooms and all... LOL!

Check out the short video on the ambilight clone. By polling the screen, the LED strips blast out the dominant color. Imagine firefights where the entire interior of the space lights up when you get hit. Add a nice butt-rumbler for that bass kick and it should really add to the immersion!

Thanks for keeping an eye on this space. It's been a tough year personally, but I'm ready to rock. Got some new mills and engravers coming from overseas - I'll prototype and mount the panels in a simple frame to test if I don't have the space to build them into an environment.

See you online!
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 168737, Topic: tid=10897, author=ChewyHoops wrote:It's grown well beyond the space I have available, and even the smallest enclosed plans I have seen won't be able to house everything. I need a bigger space...
I can send you the deck plan for a Talon! :D
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
ChewyHoops
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChewyHoops »

Scope creep is a killer. So is all of the stuff that happens with the "Real World". I assure you I'm still working on the project - I even ordered the plans to build a two-seater cockpit. Sure, most people use it for 727s and such. Not this guy... I've got enough stuff to greeble out a nice "working" star freighter. Blog updates coming, just wanted to let you all know it's not a dead project. I've had plenty of time to collect more gizmos and components. My girl is very... understanding. LOL!