[EM 2.408] CTD Runtime Error *FIXED 2.488*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
cybot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cybot »

I keep running into this error and im not sure why...

Runtime Error 7008 - Object does not exist in line 87303 Object Number Not Found: 2

any ideas?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Start here: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595

To help further, your system specs would be needed and a description of where in the game you are encountering this error. Odds are, your system is running out of resources for some reason (and the link above will help you diagnose and solve such problems), you're using an incompatible mod, or your game files are damaged/corrupt (the link above can also help here, using the game's built-in cleanup routine).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
cybot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cybot »

I have an i7 with 8Gb and a NVidia GT330m 1GB GDDR
running Win7 Ultimate SP1 X64
My sound is a Creative Recon3D Omega Wireless set.
I seriously doubt I am running out of resource's.
I've paired down background tasks to factory defaults. when running last version of em 1.x error does not occur. error only shows up in em 2.x. error seems to occur when I use alt-tab or switched to another window (like IE 10). CTD almost always occurs while game is in background or when trying to return game to foreground. I have already added stuff about EM into m$ security essentials, and the error that has occurred in the past related to that is not occurring. I have em running in the optimized windowed mode.sometimes all it will take to initiate a CTD is accidently press the Fn key which brings up a helper overlay for the Fn+F1 - F12 keys. also accidently pressing the Windows key that opens the start menu, will cause a CTD 40%-60% of the time
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That helps further. Indeed, your system isn't likely running out of resources, but something is removing game resources from memory, resulting in the object error message when you are task switching (that is, the game is losing the mesh data from video memory somehow when it is losing task focus). Could be something else taking over video memory when you switch, deleting what the game needs to render one of the the planet object layers (which is what object 2 is). Normally that only happens if you don't use the Optimized (WM) mode. If it's happening in the windowed mode, then there is likely something else that is deleting that data from the game when it is interrupted. Have you tried different display drivers? If so, which ones have you tried?

What program is the 'helper overlay'? Is that part of the 'factory defaults' you have tried? If so, who makes the program and have you tried it with it disabled?

I'd be interested in reviewing your full system setup, particularly the list of background tasks running (steps to prepare a msinfo report are available here: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8 ).
StarWraith 3D Games
cybot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cybot »

the over lay is the "Toshiba flash cards" that is part of the "Toshiba value added package" that contains software that enables features specific to laptop in windows. A thought occurred to me, thinking about what you said, perhaps windows 7 Aero is interfering and causing this error? I wil try using program compatibility and turning off the "desktop composition" which causes windows to turn off aero while program is running to see if error still occurs. if aero and/or DWM is the cause, I don't know why it is affecting only my system and not others.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Aero should work fine with the game. I leave it on all the time on the system I actually develop the game on and use alt-tab constantly. Many other players use alt-tab frequently as well, so it's not something typically reported as a problem. For it to be a problem, the data literally has to be deleted/lost from memory during a task switch operation (ie with a full screen mode or something else messing with display resources).

Last month you were having problems with an open zip error and it turned out to be related to Cyberlink tasks. Are you still running any of the Cyberlink programs? The media services programs is known to cause issues, but I'm not sure if it or another one may cause display related interference. Might be something else to check into though.

In August of 2011, you were encountering 502 errors when the game wasn't able to load images. All of these could be related and whatever it is causing them could be why your system is encountering them specifically.
StarWraith 3D Games
cybot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cybot »

I don't recall the the open zip error and I have been a way from the game for a while and am just coming back to it. as for the 502 error from aug. '11, those were being caused by M$ security essentials. that issue was solved by adding the games directory and the games exec to the excluded list in MSE.

I left the game because it seemed there was a different selection of servers time I wanted to go MP.

anyway, playing EM with 'desktop composition' turned off, I did not see any issues. it might be possible that the NVidia drivers are causing the issue. I have been experiencing a number of "the video driver has crashed and has been recovered" messages from windows while doing something as simple as browsing a simple HTML page. i'm currently using version 314.07

update: just found the post about the zip error you were talking about... it was from 2012. even though I don't remember the incident, based on my posts, it looks like the issue was caused by MSE and security access control settings.

I just did a factory restore of my laptop around feb. 28 '13 so my system is still pretty close to being 'fresh'

[Edited on 3-8-2013 by cybot]

cybot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cybot »

one sure way to initiate em to crash is to open a dos prompt as an admin using the start menu shortcut (not by typing cmd or whatever, but that might cause it too)
although the error for that says "Runtime Error 7008 - Object does not exist at line 4681. Object Number Not Found: 1" turning aero off does not effect this particular error.

cybot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cybot »

another thought.. are there any known incompatibilities with Raptr ( www.Raptr.com )?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

A driver could be a possibility, but I don't have any other reports of problems with the 314.07 version yet. So it could indirectly be related to the driver because something else running on the system (so it wouldn't likely be the driver's fault at least, it just causes the driver to stop in the other circumstances you describe).

I don't know of any compatibility issues with Raptr, at least with this game specifically, although I'm not too familiar with Raptr. Does it use overlays of any kind? Anything that fiddles with the display system could potentially cause such an issue. Does the behavior change at all with that program disabled/uninistalled?
StarWraith 3D Games
cybot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cybot »

raptr has a function similar to the ingame interface used by steam, although I haven't been able to get raptr to find em, so the in game interface is not loaded with em. raptor does have a
"dashboard" that sits on the desktop. so far except for the crashes caused by bringing up the command line, setting the desktop composition to off for the game seems to fix the error.
I did notice the crash was occurring mostly when I was using IE 10 for windows 7.

im not too sure why em would crash when a command prompt is brought up, unless it is caused by windows 7 UAC.

cybot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cybot »

is there any software or something that I can use to send you a "snapshot" of my system? something that would list the system status, basic hardware info/config and background processes and maybe any other relevant information?

[Edited on 3-9-2013 by cybot]

I had forgotten about the system information utility that's part of windows. did you want me to create a listing from that and dxdiag and send them to you?

[Edited on 3-9-2013 by cybot]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I don't need the DXDIAG report if you send me the msinfo report I referred to above. The link I posted above provides the steps to prepare the report and e-mail it to me ( http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8 ).
StarWraith 3D Games
Spaycer314
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spaycer314 »

A fair number of GT330m users have reported overheating issues with this GPU... in one case the owner sent the laptop back to the manufacturer for replacement. An often overlooked step is to ensure that the vents are clear of dust and debris. Depending upon the internal design, some laptops can appear clear but once you remove the back there can be a huge dust bunny behind the heat sink. I realize this may not solve this issue but wanted to add my 2 cents if it helps in any way.