Interactive ship AI using VAC

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

*****NEW FILES*****

After a bit of flight time tonight, I added a couple more things, found a bug in one of the flight log commands and fixed it. Also fixed a typo that resulted in a garbled AI message.

Included in the new files is a .ahk script for 1920x1080 screen resolution. I'll do up one for the King next. :cool:

I added a bit to the readme as well.

[Edited on 1-29-2013 by Galaxian]
- Galaxy Defense Industries -

Find out more --> Galaxy Defense Industries

*If the enemy is in weapons range, so are you.*
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

And... one more time! This time the right VAC profile. :P

Since my "version control" is crap, I uploaded the wrong profile. This has been rectified. Same link.

Party on.

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

Found another bug. New version uploaded. Good thing I tested this ... :D

Anyone that's tried it out at, please let me know what you think, good/bad. Ideas, any gremlins etc.

Although I've tried to work out as many of the kinks as I can find I'm sure there's room for improvement as this is my first real effort at this sort of thing.

:)

[Edited on 1-26-2013 by Galaxian]

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

Another updated version of the VAC profile will be forthcoming in a day or three as I'm working on a couple more things.

What's that you say? Again! But meesa so confusered alredee!

Not to worry, anything from here on out will do two things. First, fix any bugs that remain (none I hope) and second add more functionality and context-appropriate AI chatter.

Also, due to a typo where I have a "SHIFT" in place rather than "R-SHIFT" there is the remote possibility of a "weapons malfunction" resulting in a missile launch during "evasive maneuvers" if the following occur:

A) the .ahk script is hung/stopped/not running
AND
B) your system reads the "shift" key as "l-shift" or treats them the same.
Here's what happens: If the shift+<number> key isn't trapped by AHK and gets passed to EM there is a small chance of a missile being fired. This should ONLY happen if the above conditions are met.

This has been corrected and now conforms to my R-SHIFT standard for all "shifty" command strings.

I like robots.

:D

[Edited on 1-28-2013 by Galaxian]

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

New files:

Fixed bug noted above and added a countermeasure-specific script for CM reloads. You have to use your imagination a bit as it's really the same thing as refueling... :D

*New files coming soon*

[Edited on 3-6-2013 by Galaxian]

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

The latest thingy that I've incorporated area startup and shutdown routines.

The startup routine starts the .ahk script then starts EM, loads pilot profile 1 and launches the game.

The shutdown routine brings up the exit menu, saves to the currently active profile then exits the game.

All done with one voice command each for startup and shutdown.

This is all menu/mouse driven and requires scripting based on each item's static position in the windows start menu (or desktop). I'm working on doing this by starting the programs directly, but this has proven to be a challenge and may take some time to sort out.

That is all.

[Edited on 1-31-2013 by Galaxian]

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

Screen resolutions.

So far I have support for 1920x1080, 1440x900, and will be working on 1680x1025 in the immediate future.

As there have been only two replies with this info, my current plan is to only add more resolutions based on need and as I have time (it takes bit of time to set up the .ahk script for each res and I'd rather spend that time flying or advancing other features of the profile).

I'm open to suggestions as to what sort of things might be useful, interesting, whatever to add to this.

Thanks for the input!

:cool:

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

Haven't had much time in the last week or so to work on this, but I've had a couple more ideas to incorporate into it.

Stay tuned for updates.

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

From today's 2308 update: "New passive/safety target MFD mode added to turn off ship specific targeting completely on the display."

I'll add some functionality for this in the next VAC file I upload.

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

Had a lot of life cutting into my play time lately, but I should have a new set of files uploaded this evening.

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

New files uploaded which include the things I've mentioned above. Currently, due to lack of interest in other resolutions, I'm only including the .ahk for 1920x1080.

See bottom of post #1 in this thread for the link.

Deathbane
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Deathbane »

This is cool, I dont use vac but im almost convinced
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

Thanks for the feedback. I've had fun making this, and it's still a work in progress as I get new ideas on things to add and things that might need some tweaking.

*Note: the latest files will likely be the final version for a while unless I get a request for something specific to be added or there's something brought to my attention that needs fixing.

[Edited on 3-16-2013 by Galaxian]

sapperhedge
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sapperhedge »

You have convinced me to give it a shot. I will let you know how it goes once I have some play time to mess with it.

A simple find/replace for the computer name should work to change the AI name when giving commands yes?
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

From post: 160392, Topic: tid=10411, author=sapperhedge wrote:You have convinced me to give it a shot. I will let you know how it goes once I have some play time to mess with it.

A simple find/replace for the computer name should work to change the AI name when giving commands yes?
Affirmative. You can open the VAC profile with notepad (or whatever text widget you like) and do just that. Also note the same applies to "YOUR NAME" and "YOUR CLAN" for the MP text comm stuff.

let me know if you run into any snags, I'll help you out if I can.

sapperhedge
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sapperhedge »

Its working great. I am enjoying having feedback from commands, (something I never put into my glovepie scripts) and the tie in to AHK.

So far I think the only snags are my lame mic, and training my comp to understand me. I will see how it goes tomorrow when I get my new headset in.
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

Glad you liking it.

A good mic is critical to voice recognition for sure. I've had really good success with my current headset/mic (Turtle Beach X-somethingorother analog), which I've had for some time.

I have done exactly zero voice "training" of the computer and it's extremely rare that I get a misinterpreted command. On the odd ocassion that I do get a "command processor error... :P", it's usually due to me having mumbled or forgotten what I was doing halfway into it...

If you run into a particular phrase or command that gives you trouble, let me know and I'll do what I can to help out.

Good hunting.

sapperhedge
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sapperhedge »

Got the new headset in today, and everything is working great. Got the few oddball key bindings matched up. Great work I am having a blast giving commands.
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

Thanks. Glad you're having fun with it.

DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

I've just discovered this!! - How did I miss it? :D

Will get it to work as soon as I've gathered all the software and worked out what I'm supposed to do :P

Looks awesome

Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
INKED MICHAEL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by INKED MICHAEL »

DAVEK. You can Buy "VOICE ATTACK" for $8.00US. It's the VOICE RECOGNITION SOFTWARE I USE.

It has the SIMPLEST USER INTERFACE I've Ever Seen. You'll just Have to TRANSLATE GALAXIANS VAC into KEY PRESSES for VOICE ATTACK.

You will be Able To Program MUTIPLE KEY PRESSES for a Single COMMAND as Well as LENGTH OF KEY PRESS. It's GREAT!

I Only Use about 30 VOICE COMMANDS.

\"COM CHATTER IN SPACE\" THREAD WITH DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewthr ... ?tid=10915

\"LETS ROCK\"

EMAIL: [email protected]
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

From post: 163641, Topic: tid=10411, author=DaveK wrote:I've just discovered this!! - How did I miss it? :D

Will get it to work as soon as I've gathered all the software and worked out what I'm supposed to do :P

Looks awesome

Thanks. :cool:

Keep in mind that the only thing you'll need to buy for long-term use of this add-on is VAC (Voice Activated Commands, see the link I posted earlier) if you don't already have it. The rest is free.

Ping me with any questions or if there's a bug/malfunction.

Good hunting.

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

And a note regarding the automated combat maneuvers and the possibility of seemingly random command processor "faults":

I've noted the odd "malfunction" when a longer command string is executed, such as a combat maneuver and the the command string being executed gets disrupted by another issued command (keypress).

VAC commands get processed very quickly and most of the time "stack" in a queue to processed in order, but is possible from time to time for the command string to get interrupted if a key is pressed on the keyboard during a "wait" state in the VAC command string, resulting in unexpected characters being introduced during the "command processing" by VAC causing a "malfunction". Symptoms are typically something along the lines of a fault in the coordinate setting process or the nav console getting hung open.

I've only experienced this during heavy combat maneuvers where I have initiated AI controlled combat jumps and engaged the 'burners while the VAC command string is being processed. Even under these conditions, the "fault" only occurs rarely, which is why it took me a while to sort out what was happening. If I momentarily refrain from issuing any keypress bound commands while the VAC AI command string is being processed the "fault" does not occur.

There you have it.

Galaxian out.

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

I just recently discovered that my handiwork got a mention in the newsletter.

I am quite honored by this! I makes me feel that I've made a useful contribution to the community.

[Edited on 10-4-2013 by Galaxian]

haloterm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by haloterm »

I've got a few questions on how to get this work:

I have installed VAC and AutoHotkey on Windows 7. I put my callsign in the Anna profile and have loaded the Anna profile into VAC, and when I test my speech input in the VAC builder, it actually recognizes my language, even my bad German accent ;)

However, how do I get VAC to startup Evochron? For example, I tell VAC to startup and yes, VAC is active and listens. But nothing happens. In the VAC builder, I can see that the keypresses defined for the command are Left-Windows, Cursur Up, Enter. This opens the 'All Programs' section of my start menu. The next commands are exactly the same.

Now, I could startup AutoHotkey and Evochron on my own, of course. But then the screen resolution is a problem. The AutoHotkey script itself says it is for 1920x1080, but I use 1440x900. The script says more resolutions are commented out with ; but they aren't... just this one.

Any ideas? :(

Edit: Okay, it works when I start VAC, AH and EM manually _and_ let the game sounds play through the headset instead of my speakers. But Anna is speaking not very loud, she's barely noticable. In the volume controls, however, she is at maximum.

Edit 2: I've noticed Anna's phrases have each their own volume setting in VAC builder. So I'll see that I increase the volume there.

So the only problem left is the screen resolution. Galaxian, do you still have the 1440x900 .ahk script?

[Edited on 29-6-14 by haloterm]