[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Giygas
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Giygas »

The possible solution:
-I disabled my spyware scanner "superantiSpyware"
- I also Disabled my real time scanning and scheduled scanning in Mcafee Total protection.
system specs:
windows 7 home premium 64bit
processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 5000+ 2.6 Ghz
Installed memory: 4.00 GB
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4650
- driver version 8.970.100.3000

Every time I try to start the tutorial or just launch the game, it goes to the loading bar, gets to creating universe 34%-40%
then crashes saying either:
Runtime error 105 - File does not exsist at 83234
error 105 - File does not exist at line 14652

here are the solutions I have attempted:
-Giving the evochronmercenary.exe full internet access through McAfee firewall
-giving the same .exe public and private network access through windows firewall
- going into steamapps/common/evochron mercenary and giving the .exe there the run as admin option
-creating a shortcut for the .exe and then giving THAT the run as admin option
-switching the graphics to optimized
- switching universe generation bewteen procedural and pre generated.
also I hope Im posting this in the right spot. Apologies if anything is incorrect.

[Edited on 1-7-2013 by Giygas]

[Edited on 3-1-2013 by Vice]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Vice »

Error 105 is a generic file operation error, usually indicating that the game tried to extract a required media file, but the attempt failed and the file does not exist when the game looks for it.

When it varies like that, it means the interference point also varied and the problem may stem from something getting in the way of allowing the game to extract the file(s) and save it/them to disk. 83234 is where cities are being loaded and placed into memory. 14652 is where planet mesh details are being loaded and placed into memory.

Firewall access isn't needed for these operations. However, if you have McAfee still resident and running, that would be one thing to check. If the version of that program you are using offers a 'gaming mode', try that first. If the problem still occurs, uninstall McAfee completely and use something else in the meantime for protection as desired (examples, MSE or Avast), then perform the game's built in cleanup operation first (main menu > exit), then relaunch and test the game again.

[Edited on 1-7-2013 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Giygas
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Giygas »

I uninstalled Mcafee and restarted my computer. The problem persisted, although I couldn't find the cleanup operation( or is that performed when the screen says "shutting down).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Vice »

Yes, the 'shutting down' sequence is the cleanup. I'd like to review your system for possible causes since that didn't work. To do that, here are the steps to prepare a MSINFO report: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8
StarWraith 3D Games
Giygas
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Giygas »

They have been sent.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Giygas, welcome to the game and forum!.....Hope to see you out there some time, when you get the game working!.....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
carpe_mortem
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by carpe_mortem »

I thought I had this one fixed but after playing fine last night for a few hours, I am again running into the following when I get to around 40% or so loading:

Runtime Error 105 - File does not exist at line 14652.

Happened 3x in a row, with one exception. After one attempt I got teh following:

Darknet - Unexpected Error
An error occurred in an internal function (NetManageCompletionPort) whilst executing. The cause of the error is unclear at line 187 of file "NetCompletionPortFunction.cpp". Error code -1. Version "Release v2.0.2 Alpha 5". Would you like to exit? (Yes/No)

I originally fixed this by changing from Procedural to Pre-Gen, and tried reversing that this morning. Also allowed the .exe through my firewall as well, to no avail. I'm in the process of sending you an email, with the msinfo file, my save file, as well as a screenshot of the 2 errors I've seen.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, and my apologies to the OP for thread-jacking (sort of)

Carpe Mortem

***EDIT***

I seem to be able to get in again now...on a lark I added the tcp and udp lines on my router. but somehow I think it still warrants investigating

***EDIT 2***

Well, things went fine, til I exited and re-joined the server I was on...got the same error again.

[Edited on 1-7-2013 by carpe_mortem]

[Edited on 1-7-2013 by carpe_mortem]
Carpe Mortem

*Rider on a pale horse*
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Vice »

For anyone else encountering 'Error 105' messages when loading or 'heightmap' file errors, please contact me via e-mail as I have prepared a test build that may help work around the issue. It's had some success so far, but I'd like to have a few more players who've encountered the error messages give it a try to further confirm it may be on the right track to fix such message from the game side of things.
StarWraith 3D Games
carpe_mortem
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by carpe_mortem »

Vice, quick question - does it matter if the game client is installed on a secondary drive, rather than the primary/C drive?

I have man games installed on the secondary that run with no problem, but wonder if that might be a cause? Does anyone else having this error pop up have the game installed to a secondary hard drive?
Carpe Mortem

*Rider on a pale horse*
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Vice »

As long as the game has access to the drive with Windows on it for temp/data files (particularly the save data folder in its default location), it should work fine. Being lean on space on either drive or having a security program restrict one or the other from the game could cause problems though.
StarWraith 3D Games
carpe_mortem
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by carpe_mortem »

I figured as much but thought I'd toss it out there. Plenty of space on both of my drives.
Carpe Mortem

*Rider on a pale horse*
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Vice »

Try 2.208 and see if anything changes (Steam will update to this build also if you're running that version to test with). If not, I'd suggest just including the game (both the install folder and the save data folder) in the exception list for MSE, then launch it again and test for changes. If the problem persists, then maybe try the msconfig 'Stop Unnecessary Background Programs and Services' option in this thread: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595
StarWraith 3D Games
carpe_mortem
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by carpe_mortem »

Tried 2.208, while loading SP game, Runtime Error 105 - File does not exist at line 83561.

Trying the MSE exception list now.

***EDIT***
SP game loaded with no problem on build 2.208 after adjusting MSE exception list. Will try MP mode shortly.

[Edited on 1-8-2013 by carpe_mortem]

***EDIT 2***
MP game loaded with no problems as well on build 2.2.08 after adjusting MSE exception list. More testing will happen tonight after work. Thanks, Vice, for your attention to this!

[Edited on 1-8-2013 by carpe_mortem]
Carpe Mortem

*Rider on a pale horse*
carpe_mortem
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by carpe_mortem »

Hmm, Vice, I seem to be back to square one tonight. After success this morning both in SP and MP with the build you sent me, I tried tonight to get into MP mode on the steam version as well as the separate build, both CTD with Error 105 etc etc 14652 again.

I'll go through some more troubleshooting in the morning on this.
Carpe Mortem

*Rider on a pale horse*
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Vice »

Sounds like intermittent file blocking, the MSE exception list may have been part of it, or it may have just been a coincidence. You could also try it with MSE completely removed (using something else for protection as desired), then see if the behavior changes at all. Also, did you try it with minimal startup tasks using the steps at the link I posted? If so, any different results?
StarWraith 3D Games
carpe_mortem
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by carpe_mortem »

That will be my next step, along with the additional steps you've suggested via email as well. I'll keep you posted.
Carpe Mortem

*Rider on a pale horse*
Zonyx
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Zonyx »

I've been having the same problem intermediatly(<-- spelled wrong). I've been eliminating start up programs as advised through msconfig. Today I had 6 successful boots in a row so perhaps one of the following programs was to blame. The latest one i took off the start up was adobe reader. It seems this may be the interferring program but here's list all the programs i shut off. Java, Quicktime, adobe, adobe update, itunes, and apple push.

One other problem I've been having is I get similar errors when trying to change from produrcal to pre generated planets.
Zonyx
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Zonyx »

in the start up menu through msconfig try disabling : Adobe, Adobe update, Java, Apple push , itunes and quicktime. Did it today and has 6 sucessful boots in a row. However I still can't change to pregenerated planets for some reason.
Zonyx
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Zonyx »

the streak ended same problem occuring
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Vice »

Sounds like disk (HDD) interference in your case Zonyx. Check your security programs and make sure any are set to allow the game full access to write files it needs to the hard drive. If anything interferes with that process (ie scanning the files while the game is trying to load/manage them), it can produce the error 105 once the file is blocked or corrupted due to such interference.

It could also be limited memory, but the fact that it happens when trying to switch rendering mode where not much else is being done other that file reading and writing suggests something on your system is getting in the way of the game trying to manage files.
StarWraith 3D Games
Zonyx
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Zonyx »

vice it was INtel rapid storage technology program. After i removed it from the start up programs I was able to change to pre generated. Thx.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Vice »

Ok, glad that solved it. Thanks for the follow up and information.
StarWraith 3D Games
carpe_mortem
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by carpe_mortem »

Vice, I've made an interesting discovery, which I will test more. On a fresh reboot of my PC, I can play no problem. But once I shut the game down, and try to play again, I get the error 105. Rebooting seems to resolve the issue so far though (3 attempts). Could it be that some of the files that the game uses aren't being, for lack of a better term, released? So that when I go to start the game again, they are in use, so it crashes to desktop?

So far I have made no changes to my bootup sequence, and have only allowed the game as an exception in my MSE setup. Running v2.808.
Carpe Mortem

*Rider on a pale horse*
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by Vice »

There are a couple of possibilities that come to mind. It could be that something is indeed preventing the game from completing the clean up routine when it shuts down, leaving behind partial/corrupt files that then effect the game next time it tries to load. Another possibility is that such interference is actually stopping the game from shutting down properly, leaving behind the task running in the background (this would be more likely since the reboot clears things out enough to launch the game next time). Check the task manager next time you shut down the game and see if the task is still active in the background. If it's still there, see if one of the other programs you are running at the same time is not letting the game close down/clean up.
StarWraith 3D Games
carpe_mortem
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Error 105, *FIXED*

Post by carpe_mortem »

I didn't notice any stray programs or services listed that might be causing a problem. Anyone know of an app that would let me monitor what files are opened when an executable is run? Might help me narrow down the culprit.
Carpe Mortem

*Rider on a pale horse*