[EM] Can't play co-op

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
EddySc
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Can't play co-op

Post by EddySc »

Good evening.

A friend and myself bought Evochron Mercenary recently on the Steam sale to play co-op, however, when one of us hosts a game the other can't enter it (it doesn't matter who hosts and who is trying to enter) and also, when I try to use the server program, an error ("Error, unable to list game") appears.
I have already enabled the necessary ports to no avail.
I'd like to know how to get rid of these problems, if possible...
Thank you for your time already.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

[EM] Can't play co-op

Post by Vice »

Are you trying this over LAN or internet? If internet, make sure the ports are open and forwarded to the correct LAN address of the system you are hosting with. Then make sure your friend tries to join in with the correct external internet IP address to you (you can retrieve that by visiting whatsmyip.org). With everything open, forwarded, and entered correctly, it should work either way and with either the game or server program unless you have some other firewall in place that hasn't been accounted for.

You don't need to enable the public listing option for your friend to connect to you via direct IP, that's only for the public server listing system. Just set that value back to 1 and that message will go away.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Method
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Can't play co-op

Post by Method »

Hi, my friend and I have the same issue. When we host through the game, we can get coop working. When either of us tried to host the dedicated server software, neither can connect to the server. We have the correct IP information set in the server settings, however when I hit connect, I get the "Error, unable to list game" error. This is with the hosting mode set to private (a 1 @ line 502, as per config details).

I don't believe it is a port issue as even with all firewalls turned off, we still can't connect, even the local machine the server is being hosted on won't connect to itself. I assume we have either missed a detail in the config/setup, or we are just plain doing it wrong.

The coop server launched from in game is fine for our purposes at the moment, but we are both quite interested in deploying some new stations, and we have read that we should use the dedicated software suite if we would like them to be saved.

Thanks!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

[EM] Can't play co-op

Post by Vice »

The only times that the server program will display the 'Error, unable to list game' message are when the you try the public listing system and it fails or if you don't change the name of your hosted session from 'Dedicated1' to something else. So the first step I'd suggest is changing the name of your hosted session, preferably in the text2.dat file, to something other than the default name.

The client and server effectively use the same system, so if one works, they both should. Connection method might also come into play. For players connected via LAN to the same connection as the server, they should all connect to it via the LAN IP for the server system. For players using other internet connections outside your LAN, they should be using the external internet IP to connect.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations