Moving from C:\\SW3DG - Alternate Method

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
SkyDebris
Ensign
Ensign

Moving from C:\\SW3DG - Alternate Method

Post by SkyDebris »

This thread by Viper lays out the "what, where and why" the default location is sitting on your C: drive.

If you want to move this but don't want to have to edit any files at all, including having to worry about an update failing without editing something, you may find the method I use a good alternative. I'll update this post if I see any future issue with an update failing while this is in place, because the below is exactly what I myself have done. I've never had an update fail though.

Symbolic Links are you're buddy....

Fully compatible from Windows XP onward.

I won't go deep into what mklink, symbolic links etc are. Research if you'd like to know more. Suffice to say they can tell the OS a folder or file X, Y, Z is somewhere when in reality they're somewhere else. They can do a LOT more too, but for this post, that description is the intent, so here we go.

Goal:
Move C:\\SW3DG to another location. Can be another drive, or embedded somewhere else in a folder tree on C:. Doesn't matter.

Reasons:
Faster drive, don't want anything except OS on C:, other drive has a backup plan for apps, whatever.

1 - Download Link Shell Extension and install it. Or you can manually use mklink if you want. That's all it's doing. It provides a UX approach to it which is much faster to use for the most common tasks. LSE adds mklink related commnds to the RightClick context menu in file explorer.

2 - Pick the drive where you're moving it and open 2 explorer windows. A window with the root of C: and the root (or any folder structure you want as the root) of other drive or location.

3 - Ctrl+X (cut) the C:\\SW3DG folder from C:\\

4 - Ctrl+V (paste) to the new drive or location.

4a - If you generated planets you'll have 1.75G++ in there so give it time to finish moving the folder tree.

4b - Confirm it moved to the new location and is no longer in the root of C:

5 - RightClick+Drag the SW3DG folder from new location to the C: root explorer window, select Drop Here... -> Symbolic Link.

5a - If using Vista/7+, confirm UAC prompt with Yes to allow LSE to finish the operation.

6 - Confirm you see a C:\\SW3DG folder again, now with a special icon on it. This denotes it's a sym link.

That's it, you're done. As far as the game is concerned, it still has C:\\SW3DG when in reality it's redirected to where you moved it. No fuss no muss no editing required and future updates should work for same reason. If an update does not work then delete symc link, move folder back, update then repeat above steps and you're back in business.

I've used this technique for many many years. It allows (for me anyway) a far superior disk and app management approach because I don't have to edit files to things "still work". They'll just work. Also great for programs that refuse to let you move its stuff or don't provide a way to tell it you want it somewhere else. With this approach, doesn't matter, you control it, period.

The Rabbit Hole is much, much deeper...

This concept doesn't end at such a simple thing but I won't go farther except to give a hint:

RAM Drives... you bet. Drop Here... -> Symblic Link back to source after moving to a RAM drive... whatever is there now operates at the speed of RAM and not your mechanical or SSD drive. Just remember to backup folders before you "move" them to a RAM drive since its volatile so a reboot = gone. This can be managed easily too by saving an image of the RAM drive.

Edited:
Fixed couple typos

[Edited on 1-5-2013 by SkyDebris]

[Edited on 1-5-2013 by SkyDebris]
X79 i7-3960X - [email protected] / 2xEVGA GTX580 / 50\" LED HDMI / 16G Quad / 3x512GB SSD S3 / DeathAdder