EM - Mouse click sometimes goes to Desktop instead = Crash

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
SkyDebris
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SkyDebris »

Weird one. I have the game set FS no vsync ( I use nvcp for sync ) @1080

I launch the game, pass the logo and arrive at select pilot screen.

Many, many times now when I move the cursor I see it go from the ingame cursor to windows cursor, so when I click, game suddenly minimizes like it lost control of the mouse and OS thought I wanted to click something on the desktop instead. This has also occured while actually in the game flying around, I suddenly see the windows cursor appear offset from the ingame cursor and of course as soon as I press a button, blamo, I'm back at the desktop with same results as just described.

This is a W764Pro build.

Because I've got the game in FS mode according to what I read in earlier thread from Viper, this is considered a locked mode so this is why the game crashes when I try to go back to it.

This is extremely strange and definitely annoying. Anyone know the root cause of this problem and a solution to prevent it [ while using full screen mode ] ?

I'm not using anything special don't have buttons mapped to anything weird, not using AHK or anything else. Just a DeathAdder and the standard driver + customizer for it which has default mappings.

Edited: Updated title so it's clear this is EM, added info about mouse.

[Edited on 1-5-2013 by SkyDebris]

X79 i7-3960X - [email protected] / 2xEVGA GTX580 / 50\" LED HDMI / 16G Quad / 3x512GB SSD S3 / DeathAdder
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Not sure on the interruption, sounds like something is interferring with the game. But as for the full screen mode, is there a reason you are using that? You should never use the FS locked screen mode, unless you have some specific hardware need/dependency that requires it (which really should be almost non-existant these days). It's more of a redundant legacy mode anyway that may be removed at some point as it's not longer really needed. Always use the 'Optimized (WM)' mode as it will still fill the screen and use a mode that works with alt-tab and task switching.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
SkyDebris
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SkyDebris »

The windowed mode prevents it from taking advantage of my SLI, which prevents me from getting liquid 60FPS with 8xAA setting in the game. FS allows SLI to function and 8x to run fine and keep 60FPS solid.
X79 i7-3960X - [email protected] / 2xEVGA GTX580 / 50\" LED HDMI / 16G Quad / 3x512GB SSD S3 / DeathAdder
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, guess the reason for the loss of task focus, or whatever else is causing the task switch, would need to be found. Sounds like it could be some kind of driver issue. What driver version are you using? I'm not too familiar with SLI and its limitations. Are you aware of any limits it has with why it wouldn't support a game running in a standard windowed mode?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
SkyDebris
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SkyDebris »

Razer DeathAdder driver 3.05 / Firmware 2.45

I haven't run it in WM to see if it occurs in that mode too. I'll mess around though and see if it ever does with a 10 or 20 load test.

The frequency of it happening though while in FS mode is very often. When it doesn't occur, the game runs fine including the ingame mouse handling. It is occuring (and also not occuring) with no change between sessions, i.e not running or making any changes between execution, just running it again and it may / may not occur.

So far no experiments seem to change the outcome. So for example loading the game and not touching the mouse until at the pilot screen doesn't reduce its frequency. Don't have any "ah HA!" moments yet on what may be causing the switch since having no applications loaded at all has no impact to its frequency.

Updated:
Some times I'll see the screen "flash" ultra quick on load. When this happens more likely than not the cursor isssue will occur. In this case I can moe the mouse and see the cursor while / during the loading and log screen. Click mouse = blam back to desktop game minimized and we know the rest.

Updated:
Compatibility Mode XP SP3
Disable visual themes, DT composition and display scaling on high DPI.

This reduces (dramatically) the frequency at which it occurs although it still did occur once out of 10. Don't know the performance penalty of running it like this yet.

I also notice the games FS mode seems to have the cursor locked to a boundary less than the actual width of the current display mode.