[EM 2.108] CDT when near planets *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Alvis
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Alvis »

Hi, yes this is another of those posts. I've read the other crash posts here, but my problem still persists.

I run EM 2.108 on:
Win 8 64bit
GeForce GTX460
intel i7 920
4+ Gb Available physical memory
50 Gb free disk Space
Only Windows Defender

I used to have Steam version. This was completely unplayable and kept throwing runtime errors (different ones) or CTD when creating new pilots. I tried reinstalling without it helping.

Later I uninstalled it, downloaded the version from Starwraith and installed it in default location with Steam ID and key. This fixed some but not all problems. No more runtime errors when creating new pilots, but still CTD when approaching plannets. I actually had to be careful not to look at plannets at all the first 10 seconds, or the new pilot would get dropped framerate, then CTD.

I had my most experienced and wealty pilot saved in-atmosphere for some reason, so when loading him, I could fly for 5 seconds, then framerate would drop to 1-2 fps and then CTD. This happens on both Steam and non-steam versions.

Through 20-30 reloads and fast quicksaves, I managed to fly this pilot out of atmosphere and jump away. He flies around in space without issues now, but CTD when he gets near a plannet.

I tried to reduce all graphics settings to minimum, no v-sync, swich planet mode between procedural and that other one, running as admin, nothing works.

Am I overlooking something?

-Alvis

[Edited on 29/01/1980 by Alvis]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

have you tried launching the game with the 'Run as administrator' option?

I'd like to take a closer look at your system: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8

I'm beginning to wonder that, at least for a few systems with certain common hardware traits, there are some growing pains with Windows 8. Not sure yet why loading data reliably from the hard drive would seem to be a problematic operation on some Windows 8 systems.

[Edited on 12-15-2012 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Alvis
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Alvis »

Yes, I tried the 'Run as administrator' option. I have just e-mailed the files you requested. Enjoy!

And a small correction: I have the 2.108 Version, not 2.188.

-Alvis
Alvis
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Alvis »

Ok, Vice and I have exchanged about 30 e-mails trying to fix this. It appears that Windows 8 is not the ideal OS to run this game on, so I downgraded to Windows 7, and installed Steam version. Now it works perfectly.

-Alvis

[Edited on 29/01/1980 by Alvis]
Davmaul
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Davmaul »

Sure its win8 problem. I've been shocking my head trying to make it work in my I5 4Gb Nvidia (1gb Vram) win8 64b, and had the same problems, and tried with version 2.148 and new 2.158 with the same results. Trying to land in Shappire uses to show dropdown framerate ,glitches on planet's textures and at least crash without notice. I've had the same on space sometimes.
Curious, Version 1.8.2.8 worked perfectly.

At least today i've make this test: installed version 2.158 in my work computer (Core2 3Gb Intel(shared memory) Win7 32b, and it worked, slow, but worked, i can land on Shappire without problem. I'd play some more time in this computer to confirm there is no problem, and as soon as I can i'll test installing Win7 in my I5 and test the game again. I'll tell you the results.
FellOpenIan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by FellOpenIan »

I'm on Windows 8 Pro x64 and solved the crashes (at least during the tutorial as I just purchased the game) by setting the Evochron executable to Windows 7 Compatibility mode.

Loaded it back up and was able to complete the tutorial without a CTD.