[EM 2.088] Crash on startup with expansion *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
morbosfist
Ensign
Ensign

Post by morbosfist »

I actually had this problem with the original version, too, but at least there I could get around it by skipping the intro vid. No dice, now.

My system is Win XP, 3 GB Ram (more's in there, but as I understand XP won't detect it), Radeon 6770 card. DirectX and video drivers are up to date.

I've looked around but haven't found any solutions that would seem to do the trick.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Do you see an error message or just a CTD? Does it crash right at the beginning or after you've reached the profile manager?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
morbosfist
Ensign
Ensign

Post by morbosfist »

Crashes right at the beginning. It runs that little loading bar a few times then back to desktop. All that pops up is that generic "have to close, sorry for the inconvenience" message Windows puts up.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Make sure you're not using any mods, then visit this thread for steps to troubleshoot similar problems: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595

Then complete the steps here if you want me to review your system for possible causes: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8
StarWraith 3D Games
morbosfist
Ensign
Ensign

Post by morbosfist »

No mods, but found the problem. VobSub loading itself every time a video pops up is apparently what was crashing it. In hindsight, that explains the failure of the intro vid in the old version, too, but that at least ran for a few seconds until it crashed.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I don't know what VobSub is, so I'll need to go read up on that. Glad you got it fixed.
StarWraith 3D Games