[EM 2.088] Runtime error 105: File does not exist *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
crekit
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crekit »

consistantly get this. Both on steam version and downloaded directly from website.

windows 32 bit
3 gb RAM
nvidia 360 GTX

[Edited on 12-13-2012 by Vice]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

You should also get a line number with that particular error. Please post that also. Most likely, the game is either being blocked from accessing its media file or you left old 1.X mods behind in the install folder that aren't compatible with 2.X.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
crekit
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crekit »

It's not always the same line. I'm not running any mods.

I just tried re-naming the folder with all the cfg and pilot data and also re-installing the entire game, will see if that fixes it. I'm running it as admin.

Edit, still crashing. This time (and it is this line often) it is line number 14696.

[Edited on 12-12-2012 by crekit]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Then it may be your security software intermittently interfering with the game trying to access its files. Check to make sure that you have included the game on any exception list it/they may provide. Also try any 'gaming mode' if available. When you install the expansion, you introduce a whole new series of files to your system and some security software may try to scan the new files while you are trying to use them.

If the problem persists and the additional troubleshooting steps here don't provide a solution: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595 Then follow the steps here and I can review your system for possible causes: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8

[Edited on 12-12-2012 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
crekit
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crekit »

I think I might have been wrong with it being a different number. It appears to always or mostly be line 14696.

Thank you for quick response times by the way!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That section of the codebase relates to the game putting together planet mesh detail in memory, a fairly resource intensive part of the loading process. It could be either file access limitations (ironically something that would then be blocking the game from the temp folder) or a memory limitation preventing the game from loading one or more mesh data files into memory. I may be able to determine a little more with the msinfo report. Which planet rendering mode are using? If it's 'Pre-Generated', try the 'Procedural' mode or vice versa and see if the behavior changes. Also check to make sure that you have plenty of hard drive space available on the drive that carries the temp folder, at least 10 GB preferably a lot more just to be safe.
StarWraith 3D Games
crekit
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crekit »

Attempting to use Pre-Generated terrain, it got about 57% done building the terrain and encountered "Runtime Error 105 - File does not exist at line 82782"

I have 101 GB free on hard drive C, and 282 on D.

The game is installed in D, but i'm pretty sure it's using the temp on C. I'll work on the msinfo in a bit.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, I'll check it out when I receive it.
StarWraith 3D Games
crekit
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crekit »

Do I need to give you the save game? It's just a fresh merc who I havn't actually been able to start playing yet.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Save game probably isn't necessary here.

Seems you've had some similar resource related crashes in other games, including:

Borderlands 2
Shogun 2
Anno 5/2070
Star Ruler
Fallout NV

And some others I haven't heard of along with Steam itself. To venture a guess after reviewing the listed modules that failed in certain games and applications (VC dll's, kernelbase, ntdll, Text/Camera DLL's, OpenAL, and program names themselves), it could suggest McAfee as the culprit. So my initial troubleshooting suggestion is to test for possible file/resource interference caused by McAfee. To do that, have another A/V program handy to substitute, then uninstall McAfee entirely (to eliminate residual effects from being left behind), install something else for protection in the meantime as desired (ie Avast or MSE), then launch and test the game for changes.
StarWraith 3D Games
crekit
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crekit »

I've never had borderlands 2, anno 2070, or star ruler crash. I had to allocate more memory to Shogun 2, but it works fine now. Fallout NV crashed but not for memory or anything.

I shall see what I can do about macafee
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Not sure why they are all in your system's error log then. Borderlands apparently just crashed on you a few weeks ago, Anno in late October and again earlier. I can send the details to you in e-mail if you wish in case you want to investigate them in the Windows admin tools error history for any further troubleshooting.

Please do keep us posted on your results.
StarWraith 3D Games
crekit
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crekit »

Update, it's working! I turned the graphics setting from 1440x900 to optimized and it works now. Not sure why, but I'll take it!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Wow, you made no other changes on your system? That would be strange since an error 105 relates to using a file, which has nothing to do with graphics/display. But if it works, it works :)
StarWraith 3D Games
crekit
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crekit »

well wait, wait I also made an exception in my firewall for it to use private networks as well as public ones. Not in macafee tho
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Interesting. Ok, thanks for the follow up. I'll mark it fixed for now.
StarWraith 3D Games