Mouse X direction slow

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
ITS-Space
Ensign
Ensign

Mouse X direction slow

Post by ITS-Space »

Hi

i realy enjoy playing around with Evochron Mercenary
but all Planets look on my Sccreen like Eggs

i have a ultra widescreen 5040x1050 playing the Game in Window Mode 3840x1024

are there any options to make the planets round

thank u in advanced

Matthias

[Edited on 4-7-2013 by Vice]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Mouse X direction slow

Post by Vice »

You can adjust the field of view:

Open the sw.cfg file (located by default in c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary) in notepad, edit line 17 (sixth from the bottom) to a value between 0.1 and 5.0. Restart the game to test the change. This method may produce unexpected results (such as clipping or stretching), but is an available option if you're having trouble getting the display field looking the way you prefer.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
ITS-Space
Ensign
Ensign

Mouse X direction slow

Post by ITS-Space »

Thank you for your fast answer.

i played around with it and this option helps.
ITS-Space
Ensign
Ensign

Mouse X direction slow

Post by ITS-Space »

as playing around with options is fun i realy like to know if there is any Math Logic or Formel behind the Values and how it is maybe possible to calculate the efekt on the screen ratio without endless tryouts

??
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Mouse X direction slow

Post by Vice »

You're setting the relative viewing aspect ratio (height/width).
StarWraith 3D Games
ITS-Space
Ensign
Ensign

Mouse X direction slow

Post by ITS-Space »

Problem is gone now:-)

after a while playing around with different values and the resulting efekts

i set the Display Resolution inside the game to 3840/1024 an if i look on line 17 in sw.cfg i find

what is perfect :-)

no need for manuell adjustmend

i have played around in 1.8x and have never used the in game options for display resolutions since then :-) even not after the update to 2.x

with
in swscreen.txt the window positions in the right place
very nice

thank u
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Mouse X direction slow

Post by Vice »

Excellent, glad you got it configured the way you like.
StarWraith 3D Games
connan
Ensign
Ensign

Mouse X direction slow

Post by connan »

Hi all,
seems i have to dig this one out since i run into a problem running in 6160x1080. For this resolution the correct aspect ratio value to set is 5.722.. But if i set this i got very slow mouse movement in x direction. I tested this also for 5.0, since vice suggested settings bedween 0.1 and 5.0 but x movement remains slow. On the other hand controling the ship works well with both settings.

Any ideas on that one?

Regards
connan.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Mouse X direction slow

Post by Vice »

There isn't currently a way to change the sensitivity of a single axis and still keep existing click ranges (doing so without click range calibration is reviewed below). The rate of movement is actually linked to the screen position fed to it by the resolution and FOV (so in a way, it's calibrating itself automatically to the new FOV specified, which is reducing its apparent rate of movement to cover the same surface area of the scene, now narrowed by the higher FOV settings). Some gaming mice probably have ways to adjust one axis channel's sensitivity. To do so in the game would require feeding the mouse system a new (false) lower X screen resolution and an offset center. However, that would of course throw off the horizontal click ranges and the left/right edge limits would still apply anyway, keeping the pointer in the middle section of the screen.

You can edit the 'MouseOffset' value in the sw.cfg file to change the X rate of movement. Maybe start with a value like 0.25 and go from there. That would indeed scale up the rate of movement horizontally, but it will likely throw off the click range accuracy the farther away from the center of the screen the cursor gets.

This is intended behavior for a couple of reasons. The mouse selection system is part of the HUD, which is projected onto your helmet's visor. The side limits of the click range is just inside the edge of the screen on a 4:3 resolution and a bit further inside on a 16:9. It will be closer to the middle of the screen on wider resolutions. The click ranges remain the same no matter what screen width you use, they are consistent across all resolutions (so all players have exactly the same target selection options regardless of what resolution they use, no advantages or disadvantages in that regard). All other menu options and buttons also remain consistent.
StarWraith 3D Games
connan
Ensign
Ensign

Mouse X direction slow

Post by connan »

Thank you for your detailed answer. I played around with the mouse offset and this indeed increases the x rate of movement. But even small values give such a huge offset that buttons near the screen edges aren't click able at all. So it seems I have to live with that one :(

Thank you anyway.