Normandy Mod

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Viper
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Viper »

Hi guys,

Here's the SX3 Fighter / Interceptor ship from Mass Effect for Evochron Mercenary v2.x.
Please note:
  • This ship is designed for Evochron Mercenary v2.x and beyond. It will create issues for older versions, since the ship meshes are much smaller there.
  • The model mesh file is now called 'frame25.x', which relates to the Evoch-E. I have chosen this ship because it's one of the more popular ships in the game.
    You can however replace any military frame with it by changing the frame number (ie. 'frame21.x').
    Please see the customkit for the correct numbering of the frames.
  • I recommend replacing only military frames with it. You could also replace a civilian frame with the SX3 model, but since civilian frames consist of several meshes (engines, wings, fuel tank, etc), you would in fact only replace the main hull mesh and leave the other meshes, which would make for an awkward appearance.
    Since military frames only use two meshes, the main hull and the engine, and the engine mesh will automatically turn invisible when you replace the ship, you don't have this problem.
I have not designed the model itself but only made it compatible for EM and redid the textures, so credits for the model design go to the original designer.

There's a red and a blue version.

Red version:

Blue version:

Download links:
>> SX3_red <<
>> SX3_blue <<

Installation instructions:
  • Download the file(s).
    They are .rar files which hold a 'ships' folder.
  • Extract the .rar files.
  • Put the extracted 'ships' folder into your main game folder, or if you already have a 'ships' folder in your game files, copy the files inside the extracted 'ships' folder into your existing 'ships' folder.
Enjoy!
~ Viper.

[Update May 23rd 2013: download links updated]

[Edited on 5-23-2013 by Viper]
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
Austin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Normandy Mod

Post by Austin »

These are awesome Viper! :)
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Normandy Mod

Post by DaveK »

Even if no-one else can see them I'm going for it!

Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Busch
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Busch »

Thanks Viper! Givin' 'em a test-drive now. :)
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Normandy Mod

Post by oni14128 »

I want one. It's on the list of things to download when I get home.
Busch
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Busch »

D/L'd the blue one. Works famously on the mil frame rota. Also works with the Legacy civ frame; with a few minor adjustments on the engines, wings, shields, and cargo bay "presentations'. What I couldn't hide within the frame itself, I used rather blatantly, as in the case of the stock/generic engines' form factor. I know, I know...pushing the limits of the envelope... I'll send along a screenie, if you like...

Other than the above, it looks fabulous and works ! :cool::cool:
Commander
sapperhedge
Ensign
Ensign

Normandy Mod

Post by sapperhedge »

Nice work, I am going to enjoy flying this around!
Viper
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Viper »

Cool, glad everyone's enjoying it.
From post: 150586, Topic: tid=10069, author=Busch wrote:D/L'd the blue one. Works famously on the mil frame rota. Also works with the Legacy civ frame; with a few minor adjustments on the engines, wings, shields, and cargo bay "presentations'. What I couldn't hide within the frame itself, I used rather blatantly, as in the case of the stock/generic engines' form factor. I know, I know...pushing the limits of the envelope... I'll send along a screenie, if you like...

Other than the above, it looks fabulous and works ! :cool::cool:
Thanks for pointing that out, sir B. Totally forgot to make note about that in the first post.
It's not advisable replacing civilian frames with the SX3 ship. I would recommend only replacing military frames with it, since you won't have the problem with the secondary meshes then.

I have added an explanation in the first post.

Again, thanks.
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Normandy Mod

Post by oni14128 »

Do you see the struts that extend past the cockpit from the cockpit view?
Viper
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Viper »

From post: 150593, Topic: tid=10069, author=oni14128 wrote:Do you see the struts that extend past the cockpit from the cockpit view?
Unfortunately you don't.
This has nothing to do with the ship mesh, but with the cockpit mesh. When you're in cockpit view, the game doesn't use the ship mesh at all, but only the cockpit mesh. If you wanted to see the struts while in cockpit view, you would actually have to change the cockpit mesh and add them there.
Busch
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Busch »

Okay, so I LIKE awkward...:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

But seriously folks, I did schmooze the Custom Kit's read-me file, thrice upon a time. Jist tripped the light fandango wit da nameing conventions, I did. Mattereth not to me in the slightest. It works for me. In the Shipyard, slider-morphing in or out what was a bit unconventional about the initial profile, was fairly simple. Hid some of it in plain sight too ! Saved my slavings..... So, I'll fly it 'til it breaks, then I'll fix whut broke, and I'll fly it...again... least, 'til summat better comes a'winging....

;)

(did I mention it looks pretty cool ?)

[Edited on 12-6-2012 by Busch]
Commander
Viper
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Viper »

Glad you're liking it sir B. I actually never really realized that the model may also be used by players to replace a civilian frame. But then again, there wasn't much I could have done differently, besides redesigning all the secondary meshes... Nah I'll keep that for some other time methinks lol.

Could you do me a favor and put a screeny up? I'm curious as to how it turned out on a civy frame. :)
Frost N7
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Normandy Mod

Post by Frost N7 »

LOVE IT. looks amazing, nice ship from ME series :P .

Heh , lel

~[N7]Frost
Busch
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Busch »

Others in MP-space may see a rather insipid, rashly designed Legacy frame in appearance. (Something of which I'm not known for.) I see this:

:)

Edit: The size was within limits so I thought the screenie should be seen and not just linked.

[Edited on 12-7-2012 by Marvin]
Commander
Busch
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Busch »

My debt of honor to you, sir. Thanks Marv! :)
Commander
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Normandy Mod

Post by Marvin »

:cool: No problem ... service with a smile. ;)
Viper
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Viper »

Well considering there are quite a couple of secondary components hanging around in/on that which you hardly can't even see anymore, I think you did a good job on that Sir B! The only thing that really stands out are the engines, but it's not ass intrusive as I had thought.

By the way, just as a tip, two things:
You could have the texture the SX3 ship comes with on that ship if you want by going into your game's 'ships' folder, and renaming the 3 .dds files you see there as follows:
frameX.dds = Base texture for civilian frame (X range = 0-9 for Alliance, 40-49 for Federation)
frameXnormal.dds = Normal map for civilian frame
frameXshader.dds = Specular map for civilian frame
This will replace the textures on just the ship, not the secondary components. The game will use the standard textures for the secondary components.

If you want to apply the texture to the secondary components as well, do the following:
Rename the 3 .dds files as follows:
hull2.dds = Base texture for civilian frames and components
hull2normal.dds = Normal map for civilian frames
hull2shader.dds = Specular map for civilian frames
That will apply the SX3 textures on all the civilian components. Please note that the SX3 texture is not a generic one but specifically designed for the shape of the SX3 ship, so it will probably look awkward applied to the secondary meshes.

Then there's yet another option.
You could replace the actual meshes of the secondary components for a very tiny mesh, so small you just imply don't see it. This is how I first solved the 'extruding secondary components' issue for myself. If you (or anyone else of course) is interested, I can put that tiny mesh up for download and leave some instructions as to how to name it etc.
Busch
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Busch »

Well my friend, it's not broke so I'm not gonna fix it. Gotta good copy on your recommendations however. All that I did was to rename the files (in accordance with the Custom Kits' directions) that you've posted for D/L. Paid real close attention so that my fingers wouldn't go dyslexic/spastic on me. Was somewhat successful.....sorta like the result! And, I've found that I can swap out the "color scheme" for the whole ship, thru the shipyard toggle. Kinda like the Deep Blue/Space Black cammo pattern that's evolved here. I've also got the SX3 criteria plugged into the old Avenger slot on the mil frame side of the house, all is nominal across the boards. Will wonders never cease !

Viper, you can put up/post up that tiny mesh thingy if you wish. I'm very happy with what I've managed to morph. If I can figure this stuff.... ;)
Commander
Frost N7
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Normandy Mod

Post by Frost N7 »

do you think you could make a cockpit to go with the ship , just with a bit of the guns in view. :P

Heh , lel

~[N7]Frost
Viper
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Viper »

I guess I could take Maximillien's cockpit and add the forward struts from the ship model to it. It probably will need a bit of remapping too... It's been a long time since I did modeling, so I would probably have to really sit down for it. And to be honest, at the moment I feel more like just playing and enjoying the game.
I've thought about it before though, and will probably take this up in the near future. If someone else doesn't beat me to it.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Normandy Mod

Post by Marvin »

:cool: The guns from the Perch cockpit also work. So, you might get some advice from its creator (ijon? ... I forget).
Frost N7
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Normandy Mod

Post by Frost N7 »

the perch cockpit would be a good place to start , its where i got the idea from :P. If you could stick with the original hud it would be great.

Heh , lel

~[N7]Frost
Viper
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Viper »

Ah you're talking about getting the guns on the tips of the forward struts of the SX3 ship to match up with the beam and particle gun effects? Unfortunately, that will prove difficult. The gun effects (like the engine and thruster effects) seem to be in some way connected to the ship mesh. You cannot move them around individually. Because the SX3 ship has the gun barrels all the way on the front tips of those struts (wings, whatever they are) you would have to move the weapon effects all the way forward. Which is at this time unfortunately not possible in EM. You could work around this and move the entire ship backward, but then the thruster and engine effects would appear in the wrong places. This is how I got the SX3 ship aligned correctly with the engine- and thruster effects, but yeah I had to compromise with the weapon effects.

ijon did a great job getting the weapon barrels on pretty much the right place to match the weapon effects, but even with the Perch there's a slight deviation between where the gun barrels end and where the effects appear.
It's very hard to do at the moment. Normally a designer would design a ship, and either himself or a game programmer would then place all the effects on the right locations on the model. We have to work the other way round, backwards in effect. Here the effects positions are fixed, and you have to adjust the model (either cockpit or ship) to line up with the effects. And because there are several effects, you have to do that in three dimensions.
It is my hope however, that somewhere in a future update there would indeed be an option to customize each effect position individually. However I think I already brought this up with Vice when testing the beta, and I believe he explained to me that this involves a hellufa lot of work, much more than one would expect.

So simply adding those two forward struts to the cockpit view by adding them to the cockpit model would not be very hard, but you still wouldn't have the weapon effects come out in the right spots, because they appear on the left and right outside the cockpit location, and not in front of it.

Maybe, just maybe there's a way around this by simply moving the entire cockpit model backwards on its axes (in relation to the weapon effects positions), so that the weapon effect appear to be coming out the weapon barrels on the front. But I'm not sure about this.Maybe Vice can shed some light on this if he's reading along.
Frost N7
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Normandy Mod

Post by Frost N7 »

I would be fine with the effects not lining up for now, as i fight in 3rd person , but docking in 1st. I've seen the new max hud and i think it does match the ships look great (installed it now :P). BTW i've noted that the gun effects always appear slightly in front of the ship so in a fight it would be hard to notice that slight difference anyway.

Heh , lel

~[N7]Frost
Viper
Captain
Captain

Normandy Mod

Post by Viper »

Yeah I'm not really bothered with it either. It does put forward the issue that you have to be picky as to which custom ship models you introduce into the game because most models have visible exhaust and weapon barrels incorporated into their model design, and you will run into this effects positioning issue with most of them because of that. So from a custom ship modeling perspective it would be nice to have the option to get these kind of details spot on some time in the future. For the SX3 ship however I can live with the compromise.

Maximillien's cockpit does indeed fit the SX3 ship wonderfully, and I think I'll work on adding the struts from the SX3 ship to the Max cockpit some time in the near future (although I do think it will limit your field of view from the cockpit severely).

The particle guns effects do indeed appear somewhat in front of the ship. But the beam effects appears on the sides of the ship. Next time you're in game go in mouse look (F10) and have a look to the left or right while firing your beam weapon, you'll see it.