[EM 1.828] Crashing on load 94% *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Mad_Irishman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mad_Irishman »

Hello, I have tried the EM demo numerous times without a hitch, I then bought the steam version and have been running that with no problems. I tried a multiplayer server, the first one I think, it crashed, now EM is crashing during the loading screen at 94%. I have installed the game several times to fix the problem with no luck. I also have ran the game on admin mode, which has worked for a bit, but then it recently stopped working. I've changed the setting also with no luck.

Vice, I've emailed my system stats, pilot info and the crash logs. My system stats are as follows,

Relevant system specifications:
- Intel Core i7-2400
- Windows 8 (64 bit) all updated.
- 8gb of ram
- 608gb free disk space on install drive C:
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560ti x2
- Basic microsoft security.

[Edited on 11-25-2012 by Mad_Irishman]

[Edited on 12-13-2012 by Vice]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks for sending the report. That error generally relates to an 'out of memory' condition. The crash report indicates it occured right when the game is attempting to apply a texture to a station object. When the game stops like that, it's usually out of memory and is not being allowed to access the resources it needs to apply the texture.

Although an error 506 or 7018 isn't being displayed, it's likely related to the same causes with solutions in this support post: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595

However, considering you are running on Windows 8, it might be related to immature drivers or other new OS related causes. It looks like other games are crashing also, including PS2, Freelancer, Need for Speed, and Skyrim, plus even applications like iTunes. They could all be encountering a related problem. I would initially suggest these steps:

- Try running the game directly by itself without Steam running by launching it from its install folder in \\SteamApps with Steam turned off. See if the behavior changes.

- Try updating your display driver (if available) and maybe also rolling back to a previous version to test with.

- Start a new profile and test loading with it.

- If you're trying to use any mods, remove them entirely and test with the default game.

- Locate the sw.cfg file in the default save data folder, c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary. Delete or rename that file, then launch and test the game again.

- If the problem persists, try the troubleshooting steps at the post at the link above.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Mad_Irishman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mad_Irishman »

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try those out. Running in admin mode worked again, so it's strange, I also got a 7018 error. I'm using beta drivers, so I'll look at rolling them out.