Sods Law to the nth Degree

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
MindYerBeak
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Sods Law to the nth Degree

Post by MindYerBeak »

Has anyone noticed that when things go wrong in life it ALWAYS rains? It does for me. I know when a bad day is coming because it's raining hard and I have things to do outside. I kid thee not, my Gentile friends.

The past couple of months Sods Law has caught me with my trousers down. I decided it was time to move to another flat, so asked NTHell to switch off my cablemodem on my move date. It rained hard that day. My moving date was put back a month due to refurbishment, so there I was stuck without internut for 4 weeks.

Everything packed, raring to go, looking forward to the new move. It rained hard that day, too. Moved, settled in, unpack all my gear. I'd moved into an area that couldn't get cablemodem, so had to subscribe to Sky. From 55Mb down to 20Mb for internut use. Another month wait for internut use.

In my previous flat I decided to put my time to good use by upgrading my rig. It rained hard that day as well. I purchased my new rig bits from the internut in readiness for my move. An MSI 890 FXA - GD70 mobo, An AMD Phenom X4, a Radeon HD 5970 Graphics card, a 50Gb SSD, a silent 1,000W PSU, a Zalman 3D monitor were all ordered prematurely in readiness for a sooper dooper gaming rig just to play Everchron. Phwoar!

I placed all my bits'n'bobs in a computer shop for assembly. It poured down that day. Going to collect my Sooper-Dooper I was informed that my Radeon was too large for my existing case. Ordered an Antec DF-85 case:

It DIDN'T rain the day I ordered the case. This case is nothing short of brilliant. No fiddling about with wiring or plugs when inserting SSDs or HDDs, just slot them in and you're good to go. It has 7 red LED lit fans, plus room for 1 more in the see through panel and also has watercooling outlets. Georgeous piece of kit. At the top of the case is a hot swap SSD panel. Just slip it in, job done.

Time to visit the computer shop to collect my Sooper-Dooper. Yes, it rained that day. Heavily. Shopman informs me that my Sooper-Dooper mobo won't let it boot into the BIOS, let alone Windoze. I need to RMA it, he says, which would take 8 weeks for a return. Checking the MSI forums I found it's a common problem as Mr. Shopman stated.

So what do I do? I made sure it WASN'T raining and have now ordered a Sooper-Dooper ASUS Crosshair III Formula Republic of Gamers Motherboard. Sooper-Dooper reviews of this mobo throughout the internut, including user reviews.

But wait, there's more. I have a Sooper-Dooper HOTAS Cougar Joystuck. Lovely jublee, let's set it up in readiness. Connection leads have gone diffy. Can't use it until I find out what leads I need to purchase - if possible.

Wait awhile, there's even more. In 2 months my Zalman 3D monitor hasn't been delivered from Eclipse Computers. 2 emails from me have gone ignored. They've taken the cash from my bank account, but not delivered the goodies, and don't answer emails. Don't do business with these geezers, folks, you have been warned, even if it isn't raining. Time to contact the Ombudsman?

Whatever you do make sure it isn't raining when you decide to do something important. I can assure you from personal experience that all your best laid plans will go astray if it's raining. It's the way Sod's Law works. It's part of the equation. Know thy enemy.
Mr. MindYerBeak, at your service