The best space themed science fiction movie ever?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Well, you're right about that, but no one can deny the scene with Ripley in the "Loader" against the beast was awesome!
I must get "Sunshine"!
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I liked the first Alien better. It was really more of a horror flick. Aliens was an action movie. The thing that always bothered me was that the first alien was so dangerous that it nearly wiped out the entire crew. The aliens in movie two seemed relatively weak. It could be the softness of the targets, but somehow, they seemed less scary in the second movie, as the marines are gunning them down.

However, both movies were really cool.

After Aliens, though, I'm afraid they rather sucked.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Sunshine should be a fun ride. Soundtrack is pretty good too.

In any case, go watch that movie - it's pretty realistic sci-fi, but imagine that the technology there could be real in a few decades. Computers programming software, and all that stuff. Sounds awesome, eh.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Koranis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Koranis »

Originally posted by Nigel_Strange
I liked the first Alien better. It was really more of a horror flick. Aliens was an action movie. The thing that always bothered me was that the first alien was so dangerous that it nearly wiped out the entire crew. The aliens in movie two seemed relatively weak. It could be the softness of the targets, but somehow, they seemed less scary in the second movie, as the marines are gunning them down.

However, both movies were really cool.

After Aliens, though, I'm afraid they rather sucked.
I agree on this one, Alien, technically WAS a horror flick (to get even more technical, it was a "very well done B-series movie" as Scott loves to say). And Aliens WAS more of an action than horror. Cameron is good at sequels, he's good at reinventing what already exists :D

The menace of the second movie were the numbers of monsters, as opposed to the first movie where it was the hostile environment than the monster itself.

In the original screenplay, in the scenes that have never been filmed, the members of the Nostromo wanted to hunt the alien down with laser guns but they didn't becasue they knew that the acid the alien had for blood would compromise the hull. And then... they also rather s.....ked at using the flamers. ;)
retro
Ensign
Ensign

Post by retro »

B5 and new BSG for me. I had to make time every Saturday to watch the next episode of Babylon 5. No one episode stands out in either series. The whole series ran a thread, had a story to tell, then the end. I called both series "Space Operas". Character development was key. On the subject of specific episodes; Star Trek the Next Generation, Q Who. When first we meet the Borg. Sent chills down my back to think the all powerful Federation, Klingon, and Romulan Empires were completely outclassed. Firefly and Serenity. Loved the characters in this too. Sadly the series was too short lived, hence the character assassination in Serenity.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello retro, welcome to the forum.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi retro, Welcome to the Game and Forum;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
retro
Ensign
Ensign

Post by retro »

Thanks for the welcome. I'm on the forum but yet to buy the game. Guess I'm still hung on which game to get into first.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Well, Retro, each game offers a free demo, but if you are looking forward to playing multiplayer with the "guys"....
I suggest you get the hottest game going and buy Legends!
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Yes, I would suggest Legends the latest Game!;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Storm »

Originally posted by retro
B5 and new BSG for me. I had to make time every Saturday to watch the next episode of Babylon 5. No one episode stands out in either series. The whole series ran a thread, had a story to tell, then the end. I called both series "Space Operas". Character development was key. On the subject of specific episodes; Star Trek the Next Generation, Q Who. When first we meet the Borg. Sent chills down my back to think the all powerful Federation, Klingon, and Romulan Empires were completely outclassed. Firefly and Serenity. Loved the characters in this too. Sadly the series was too short lived, hence the character assassination in Serenity.
Agree on B5. I am *tempted* to order the series on DVD - I know a place (reliable) with a good price.

BSG - the "remake"? I LOVED it at first. But then the series started... "weirding out"... for me. I guess it was when the Cylons "started to get that old time religion"... I dunno, I am not AGAINST "religion in movies", but the religous theme in BSG just kind of ... "bothered me", even though it was *necessary for the plot". Not sure why. I half expected Centurions to start singing "KumByYa" (in synthetic voices) and dancing around a campfire... or at least a leaky reactor.

Favorite single episode... the last part of season 4. "There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief; the build up to the re-appearance of Kara "Starbuck" Thrace ... VERY dramatic moments.

Still, I am tempted. There is a Blu-Ray release of the entire BSG series (with a "Cylon Figurine", whatever that really is); just got my first Blu-ray player a little while ago - 4 Blu-Ray titles so far added to my massive DVD collection: Sunshine, Push, Ronin (DeNiro; good spy flick), Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy.

Agree on Serenity, and Joss Whedon in general. I REALLY HOPE that the series makes a comeback. Which might bring about more movies.

Hehehe.... I COULDN'T STAND the "Q" episodes in ST:TNG. My personal favorite is the two-part "Unification". I've always been intrigued by the relationship between Vulcans and Romulans... their historys and so forth.

I am assuming that Klingons smell bad - and they are "just not my kind of people" (hehehe).

SUNSHINE is VERY good. I recommend it. There hasn't been very many good "Space Opera" flicks produced in the past few years.
Corgano
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Corgano »

hard to pick just one...

have to put another vote for Serenity.... never caught the Firefly series, but after watching that, wish I had.... guess I'll have to go find the box set or something....

and of course, Star Wars (pts 4-6).... the second trilogy, not so much... Lucas had some great ideas overall, but he is a dismal writer of dialogue.... stick with what you're good at, and hire someone to do the rest :D

sort of a Trek geek here (not quite old enough to have seen TOS, but caught it in re-runs).... for a favorite TNG show, I'd have to go with "Descent pts 1 and 2" (and as sort of a default, "I, Borg" as a precursor to it).... after seeing the comatose-like Borg marching around every show they popped up, it was kinda cool to see them aggressive and angry in these two shows....

of course, the I, Borg episode fits with some of the issues mentioned with BSG (i.e. - if you have the chance to wipe out those who are bent on your destruction, do it).... which was a discussion actually held in the TNG episode about using the captured Borg as a weapon to destroy his entire race....
BENERICK
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by BENERICK »

Go to hulu.com I saw that they now have it so u can watch it for free. Very cool sight only a few ads to see during the show.
AKA [SD] SolarWing
Leader of Blitzturm Squadron
Second in Command of SD Clan
Lore Piper
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Lore Piper »

All the ones above and I would like to add another vote for Serenity because of its different slant on the whole Space Genre. It was kind of like us (if we survive that long as a species) out there with all the same problems we have today in trying to find work, survive rugged conditions, get along with each other, except we do it in space and we can fly from world to world and have all the problems of surviving in space. Great casting and story line and the graphics were pretty darned good.
PirxThePilot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by PirxThePilot »

My vote goes for Solaris. (The original Russian film - not the George Clooney one.) The book, by the Polish mathematician and philosopher Stanislaw Lem, was a revelation to me, and started my fascination with sci-fi. It's a primer on metaphysics in story form about the limits of communication.