New huds available

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

New huds available

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Thanks to Karin for posting these!

http://www.spaceman.ca/evochron/nigel/navhuds.zip

Most of you know what to do with these files, but if not...

First: ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR FILES BEFORE YOU COPY THESE INTO YOUR GAME DIRECTORY. I don't want you to lose other files you might have, and I'm not responsible if you ignore this warning.

1. When you download the file, unzip it. You'll see several folders named after colors.
2. If you have a HUD directory in your EL install directory, back up the hudtape b2gun and b2gunshadow files (so you don't overwrite them). If you don't have a hud directory, don't panic: just create one ;-)
3. From the unzipped folders, choose a color you want to use and copy the contents to your hud folder in your game installation directory. If there are files in that folder they will be overwritten, so back them up first.
4. If you're feeling adventurous, try one of the hudtapes from the alternate colors folder. Some of them are pretty spiffy (I like the amberglow myself). If you choose to use these alternate color hudtapes, you'll have to rename them to "hudtape.bmp."

Oh, did I mention you should back up your files? Just checking :P

[Edited on 4-3-2009 by Nigel_Strange]

[Edited on 4-3-2009 by Nigel_Strange]
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

New huds available

Post by 49rTbird »

Hi Nigel_Strange, I am terrible at modding and I really like your nav hud, But, (always a but somewhere) I was hoping you could (or tell me how to) move the two hud tapes a little closer together. the reason I ask is I have some other info on the screen that I can't seem to figure out how to move and they mix together. Any help would be appreciated. :)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Ian2454
Ensign
Ensign

New huds available

Post by Ian2454 »

The hud tape is actually a scrolling image superimposed over the screen. You would have to either get a new tape or use an image editor to move them together.

As for how to move the extra info around, I'm useless for that. Never tried.

[Edited on 4-5-2009 by Ian2454]
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

New huds available

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Hi, thetiebers,

Ian2454 is right: it's an image superimposed on the screen. Actually, I believe that it is an image that is attached to an invisible 3d object, like a cylinder, so that you can see only the numbers.

The number bands were moved away from the center in order to prevent obstructing the central view, which I was concerned about because of the additional lines. It might be possible to create one that is right in the center, for instance, but you wouldn't be able to see what you're shooting at.

One compromise might be to put the band in the middle, but fade it out some, so that it is not so salient. You might still be able to use it for navigation (under the right lighting conditions) and it shouldn't block your view of your target (much). I could try this approach, if you think it would be worth it.