New Photos Added!

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Winter Owl
Ensign
Ensign

New Photos Added!

Post by Winter Owl »

Your project makes me want to figure out a way to mount my joystick and throttle on the arms of my very comfortably overstuffed armchair. Currently I set the X52 on a piece of plywood and set the whole apparatus on my lap. It works, but isn't a great setup.
Pay no attention to me!
I\'m just a weather balloon. And some swamp gas... uhh... refracted the light of Venus or something.
Yeah, that\'s it. Definitely not a spaceship, no sir.
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

New Photos Added!

Post by BraveHart »

He He :D....that looks Cool tk7223....Good to see how Vice's Legend has inspired you to develop your own cockpit. Can't wait to see the final version....I was thinking how cool it would be to weld up a tubular frame and install a hydraulics to move the cockpit around to mimic the actual turning and dips and dive of the ship in actual flight...He He. Hmmm must put my welding skills to use one of these days :D
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

Believe me...if I ever win the lottery I'll have a motion simulated cockpit in my game room. But I lack two things to make that happen with out a lot of money. First I'd have to learn about hydralics and second i'd have to learn enough about programing to write mod files for the games I like. With out being a Millionare(or as long as I'm dreaming-Billionare) I just don't have the funds or time :)

I'm not making too much progress on my cockpit today as I hit 2 issues with my design. I have decided to add a hidden, lit compartment for cd/dvd storage. And, I am looking at re-locating a DVD drive to the interior for access during gameplay. I have extra ones laying around so I'm going to try and 'mod' the wiring instead of buying an external drive.
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

Did alot of work today. Put the 42" Display in, started to finalize my backlit display panel art and positioned my overhead fan/temp display. Everything is still pretty rough and no detail or trim work really done yet. But I did power it up with my laptop and took these photo's.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tk7223/MyPi ... directlink
Hopsalot
Ensign
Ensign

New Photos Added!

Post by Hopsalot »

Absolutely awesome! I can't wait to see the next steps. I really like the trekish graphics. I am also a pit builder. My current pit is about 5 years old, very generic and seems to never be finished (always finding ways to make things better.) I will open another thread and post a few pics.

Congratulations on the fine work.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

New Photos Added!

Post by Vice »

That is awesome tk!
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by Daedalao »

http://gizmodo.com/5090694/mimo-7+inch- ... -to-the-us

Once this hit the US market, I think I'll give them a go. Due to the price vs features, they're most likely worth it for a few days anyways.
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

That's not a bad deal..and 7" is perfect size for a display...maybe by the time I have money again it'll be able to get a couple of em to upgrade my cockpit. Nice Find!
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

New Photos Added!

Post by MMaggio »

Way to go, Saitek!:D
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

Sigh...well..my new graphics cards got delayed. Vendor item on back order. SO..it's a bad news, good news thing. I got the good word from my boss that not only am I getting a payraise, but a bonus too. So, I cancelled my Vidcard update and am instead rebuilding one of my older tower cases.

Specs as follows:
ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard with MD Phenom 9850 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor with ASUS Triton 78 120mm EBR CPU Cooler and @ 2GB Crucial DDR2 SDRAM.

2xEVGA 896-P3-1257-A1 GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 in SLI.

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS Harddrive.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional PCI-E 7.1 for sound(actually for my current system, using onboard for this build).

Finally a Rosewill 650watt SLI power supply to get it all juiced.

Gonna stick with WinXP for now and use an old full tower case and DVD drive I have sitting in the closet. I'm thinking this should be more than enough to power my Gamepod/cockpit into Windows7 and the forseeable gaming future. And thanks to Newegg it all comes to less than $1500 & should be the most robust system I've ever built.

[Edited on 2-14-2009 by tk7223]
Spartan
Ensign
Ensign

New Photos Added!

Post by Spartan »

looks fantastic, you just need to mount it all on a moving platform like those big ole flight sim things!!

seriously tho' superb job

makes my joystick on top of the desk look a bit lame!!
My children, gather round! No retreat, no surrender; that is Spartan law. And by Spartan law we will stand and fight!
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

New Photos Added!

Post by 49rTbird »

Hi Spartan, mine is my x52 mounted on a 28" wide piece of plywood and I put my laptop between them. this way a can sit in my recliner,watch the tube and fly also (lol). to get a better setup I'd have to be single (lolx1000000) .;)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

Whoot! the pc rebuild is a success!!...XP sp3 installed, all my drivers online, and EL installed and tested. Now..I just need to get my wireless connection secured and working and get back to the gamepod it'self. :cool:

Oh..and I highly recommend a 10000 rpm Harddrive...My new velociraptor loads winxp in about 18sec and EL singleplayer in about 30=40seconds

[Edited on 2-20-2009 by tk7223]
warsign
Captain
Captain

New Photos Added!

Post by warsign »

Definitely you are right.
10000 rpm is awesome...
Zenith
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by Zenith »

Have a couple of those myself, in RAID 0, very, very fast load times.