Evochron Legends 2nd Start

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
maurader
Ensign
Ensign

Post by maurader »

Hello,

I am having a issue with Evochron Legends.
I install it and enter the key. The game runs fine.
However, when I exit the game and then try and restart it, I just get a black screen. No errors, no title screen, no sound, nothing. I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and it shows as running and I can close it but it doesnt start. If I uninstall and reinstall it, the game runs fine the first time again but it wont run again.

I am not having this issue with Evochron Renegades.

Another note that might be of help. I notice that everytime I run Evochron Renegades, it goes thru some screen flashes (like the video card is changing the resolution). Evochron Legends does this the first time I start the game but doesnt do it the 2nd time (or later).

I am using AVG Free Antivirus but the resident shield is disabled.

I am running Windows XP SP3, 2Gig Ram, Pentium D 3.00Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS, 250gig hard drive (70gig free).

Maurader
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Usually, the Black Screen indicates it can't validate your key through the online check. Check your firewall settings to allow Evochron Legends to connect to the internet.

Otherwise, it can help to remove the game and reinstall it.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Interesting, the screen not initializing may be the key there. It may just be caught up at the text data loading phase, which takes place before screen/resolution initialization does. This can indicate the game is not able to open the text file it needs access to (probably the text.dat file). Why it would work the first time, then be blocked on any time after that would be a mystery though. Couple of questions and things to try:

- Did you install the game into the default folder or a custom location?
- Are you running any other programs in the background related to file/disc functions?
- How much free physical memory is available as reported in msinfo?
- Try terminating the AVG background tasks in addition to turning off the resident shield, see if that makes any difference.
- Try uninstalling the game (do not delete the game's folder or data files left behind), then reinstalling it.
- If/when it freezes again, look for a folder in the root of your main hard drive named \\dbTemp (a temporary folder created for media loading and debugging). If it's there, send the filename contents of that folder to me in an e-mail. Delete the folder, then relaunch the game, see if anything changes.
- Next time it pauses, use the Windows-D key combination to minimize everything to your taskbar, then click on the game's taskbar icon to bring it back, see if that results in finishing the loading cycle.

Edit: for sending the debug folder details, my e-mail address is here: http://www.starwraith.com/contact.htm

[Edited on 2-5-2009 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
MrBitter
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrBitter »

I was having the exact same issue. I downloaded the demo and played through the tutorial once, then exited. The next time I went to check out the campaign it just sat at a black screen. I also noticed the screen flashes when it first started but not when it got hung on the black screen.

The first thing I did was uninstall with the included uninstall program, then reinstall.

After that it's been loading fine. I've run the tutorial a few times, my pilot was still there, I changed video settings, etc. Works like a charm now.
maurader
Ensign
Ensign

Post by maurader »

Originally posted by Vice
Interesting, the screen not initializing may be the key there. It may just be caught up at the text data loading phase, which takes place before screen/resolution initialization does. This can indicate the game is not able to open the text file it needs access to (probably the text.dat file). Why it would work the first time, then be blocked on any time after that would be a mystery though. Couple of questions and things to try:

- Did you install the game into the default folder or a custom location?
- Are you running any other programs in the background related to file/disc functions?
- How much free physical memory is available as reported in msinfo?
- Try terminating the AVG background tasks in addition to turning off the resident shield, see if that makes any difference.
- Try uninstalling the game (do not delete the game's folder or data files left behind), then reinstalling it.
- If/when it freezes again, look for a folder in the root of your main hard drive named \\dbTemp (a temporary folder created for media loading and debugging). If it's there, send the filename contents of that folder to me in an e-mail. Delete the folder, then relaunch the game, see if anything changes.
- Next time it pauses, use the Windows-D key combination to minimize everything to your taskbar, then click on the game's taskbar icon to bring it back, see if that results in finishing the loading cycle.

Edit: for sending the debug folder details, my e-mail address is here: http://www.starwraith.com/contact.htm

- I installed it in the default locations
- I am not running any applications regarding file/disc functions
- MSInfo is reporting 1.6gig avaliable free memory
- I tried shutting down AVG completely and I still get the same problem.
- Uninstalling EL (with the uninstall program and not physically removing the folder) then reinstalling allows it to run again (1 time only) but all the previous settings were preserved.
- When it freezes I do the Windows-D combination and there is a single file in the dbTemp folder (_virtual.dat). However, when I kill the EL task the file disappears. Do you want me to copy the file and send this file to you?
- The Windows-D combination and then clicking on it in the task bar doesnt help
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes, please send me that file before it gets cleared. An msinfo report would also likely be helpful.

StarWraith 3D Games
James McKenzie-Smith
Ensign
Ensign

Post by James McKenzie-Smith »

I was experiencing the same issue. I tried turning off Avast! antivirus and tried starting the game, and it occurred as written by the first poster.

I looked in the game's root directory, and tried starting the game by running the game executable file directly. The game started, no problems. I then tried launching from Programs - > Evochron Legends -> Evochron Legends, the problem occurred again. Trying again, selecting Start -> Evochron Legends results in the same issue. Having done all of this, I tried starting the game from the root directory again, and it started without any problems.

I then created a shortcut using the game executable, and tried launching from that. The game launched successfully, whether the shortcut was located in the root directory or elsewhere.

I should add that I am using WinXP SP2, with all DirectX drivers, nVidia drivers, Windows updates, etc. etc. up to date, and the only things I run in the background are Avast! and ZoneAlarm.

[Edited on 2-5-2009 by James McKenzie-Smith]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks for the information. It sounds as though the installation may not have completed correctly then. Part of the installation procedure is supposed to set the 'Start in' directory property in the icon to the game's folder. So that must be exactly where the problem occurs. Marauder, that's the next thing I'd recommend checking. You should just be able to right click on the desktop icon and set the start in location to the folder that has the game's binary in it.
StarWraith 3D Games
maurader
Ensign
Ensign

Post by maurader »

Thats it.
Apparently the install program doesnt fill in the "start in" for the shortcut.

I wasnt using a desktop shortcut but the Start menu selection.

I added "C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegends\\" to the Start in property and now it works.

I guess thats something to fix in the next update.

Maurader.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes, thanks. It is fixed for the next update.
StarWraith 3D Games