Error 164 :

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
red2x
Ensign
Ensign

Error 164 :

Post by red2x »

I have just downloaded the demo game and I have installed it. Nw I am recieveing an error code:

Error 164 : Could not set a display of 640x480x16

This is the first time i have boted the game up and I am recieving this. I think it may be something to do with my LCD Tv as it displays no signal once i have started the game file up.

My question therefore is

"Can there be anotherway of starting the game but setting the resolution for it higher than 640x480 default, for example most microsoft games allow you to put commands such as nostartup or -dev or even the display res 800, 1024 after the shortcut prompt within the properties of a desktop shortcut"

I have not even been able to play r get to the ptions screen to alter the games resolution yet so I don't have a configuration file to mod.

Cheers
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Error 164 :

Post by verbosity »

sorry I can't help you myself,

the man you need is called Vice on the forums and I'm sure he will be able to help, expect a post within the next few hours.
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Error 164 :

Post by Vice »

Where does this error occur (that is, at what point in the game)? Do you see an arrow appear briefly right at launch, then the error occurs? Did you manually alter the sw.cfg file to try a non-standard screen resolution? There shouldn't be a reason the game would try to default to 640X480X16 unless it encountered a setting or option that was not compatible with your configuration.

One quick step you can try is to delete the SW.CFG file from the c:\\sw3dg\\arvochconflict directory, then launch the game. If you changed your system configuration since you installed the game and it reduced your display capabilities, deleting that file will cause the game to rescan your system and adjust itself for your new configuration.

If the problem continues, I can analyze your configuration in detail to possibly provide other suggestions if you complete the steps at this link:
http://www.starwraith.com/arvoch/faq.htm#8

[Edited on 1-6-2007 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
red2x
Ensign
Ensign

Error 164 :

Post by red2x »

Hi, thanks for responding quickly.

The probem occurs before the game launches. The screen goes bank as if it were adjusting for the settings of a game.

That is when the TV/Monitor OSD shows "NO SIGNAL" it then reverts back to the desktop for a sec then goes blank again and displays NO SIGNAL for a second time. Then the error sounds and a white screen with the error box appearing in front displaying the error message with an ok button.

I click on this and it terminates.

I have not got a sw.cfg file in my install directry (Which is c:\\program files\\ArvochConflict\\).

I beleive this file is created once the game successfully launches but as i have aforementioned mine has not launched yet.

Hpe this is clearer and thanks
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Error 164 :

Post by Vice »

If the game was able to even partially launch, the file already exists. It is located where I indicated, in the C:\\sw3dg\\arvochconflict directory, not in the program files folder. If it's not there, then the game isn't even able to initiate the launch process, meaning something is interfering with your display system.

Sounds like there could be a some kind of hardware/driver issue, either an incompatibility or something in settings. With the information at the link I provided, I can analyze your configuration further.
StarWraith 3D Games
MasterMindLess
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Error 164 :

Post by MasterMindLess »

Have you tried again since you got the error? That's happened to me, too (in evochron alliance, though)... All I had to do was try starting the game again and it fixed itself.

The sw.cfg file should be in C:\\sw3dg\\arvochconflict or something similar.
StarWolves Clan
Lieutenant Junior Grade
red2x
Ensign
Ensign

Error 164 :

Post by red2x »

Hi,

just sent you the e-mail with my system inf attached.

Refering back to your respnse, you say i should have another directory created from the installation c:\\sw3dg\\arvochconflict\\, i am afraid i don't have this directry nor the sw.cfg file at all.

Really hope to get this resolved dying to have a go with this, as i have been searching for a great game since freelancer.
red2x
Ensign
Ensign

Error 164 :

Post by red2x »

Ok, just tried smething which i should have tried at first but since i was downloading i didn't want to do it till the last resort. Simple reboot proved to be al it needed, i am very sorry if this caused any inconvinience i do appologise but if anyone else is having the same problem try reboting your computer.

thanks
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Error 164 :

Post by Vice »

Ok, here are some steps to try. You have some strange items in your configuration (5,120 MB of memory, but only 455 MB free?) and some running tasks I'm not familiar with (including 3 instances of ATI's CLI.EXE program). But these might help or point out a potential problem:

- Change your desktop resolution to 800X600, test to see if the game will launch.
- Reinstall/update your video drivers ( http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html )
- Reinstall/update DirectX ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.mspx )
- Place the attached file in the game's program files folder, then test.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Error 164 :

Post by Vice »

Interesting, the reboot might have cleared out something that was interfering with your display. Anyway, glad you got it to work.
StarWraith 3D Games
red2x
Ensign
Ensign

Error 164 :

Post by red2x »

Thanks for taking a look.
Yeah I have noticed the 3 instances of CLI.exe running at the same time.

I am looking into it now, very strange also whilst i am at it i am taking a look at a few other processes that are running.

Not had time to do anything before now i am making some time, thanks alot.