Custom Ship Problems

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
MasterMindLess
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Custom Ship Problems

Post by MasterMindLess »

Vice:

Remember when I had that "ERROR: Error 99" problem? I know that you told me how to fix it, but I now have a custom ship that I'm thinking about releasing, and every time I use the ship for a mission, then try going into another, I get the error.

I want to know, is there a way to fix it so that I don't have to delete the "weapon0.sw" file every time I use the ship?

I have the .X, the .txt, and the texture in the Ship file, so... I'm not sure what would be missing...

Also, AC is installed on an external hard drive, and the file that has all the pilot and weapon.sw files are on the internal drive. (Example: G:\\Program Files\\Arvoch Conflict
C:\\sw3dg\\arvochconflict) Would this cause the error? And, is there any way to move the entire sw3dg folder onto my external?

Thanks,

MasterMindLess

[Edited on 12-17-2006 by MasterMindLess]
StarWolves Clan
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Custom Ship Problems

Post by Vice »

Yup:

Simply create a text file in the game's directory named savedir.txt and in the first line, enter the folder where you want the game data files to be. So if you want it saved to a user directory (I'll use XP as the example here), you'd enter C:\\Documents and Settings\\(UserName) with no dash at the end. The directory must exist for the option to work. Then move the entire directory with its files from the original location of C:\\ to the new directory you specified (including the base \\sw3dg folder).

As for the custom file problem, it's tough to say without seeing the file. You can try the directory option first to see if that helps, but I suspect the problem is occuring because of something incompatible with the custom model itself. If you haven't already, try saving the file in ASCII X format.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
MasterMindLess
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Custom Ship Problems

Post by MasterMindLess »

So, my external is designated "G:", so I would create a file named savedir.txt with the line G:\\Program Files\\StarWraith 3D Games\\sw3dg\\arvochconflict (in example) in it?
That didn't work too well... Did you know that you can un-register Arvoch? (I happened to manage it...:P)

Also, what's ASCII X format, and how do I save the file in it?

I'll try to get the X file to you so you can look over it (if you have time), possibly via ICQ?

Thanks,

MasterMindLess

StarWolves Clan
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Custom Ship Problems

Post by Vice »

You can just e-mail me the file. ASCII X saves the model in a text file format which is easier to read and seems to resolve some compatibility problems between different versions of the X model format. Just something to try.

As for the saving directory:

- Create the file SAVEDIR.TXT in the game's installation directory (usually \\Program Files\\ArvochConflict). In the first line, type in the entire folder name for where you want the game's data files to be save (not custom files, just settings and profiles). I would keep it simple and use something like G:\\sw3dg

- Then copy the curreny directory (should be C:\\sw3dg\\arvochconflict) from it's original location to the new G:\\sw3dg directory (so that the contents of C:\\sw3dg\\arvochconflict now matches G:\\sw3dg\\arvochconflict).

If you tell the game to look for data files in a location that doesn't exist, all kinds of things will be lost including the registration status, settings, pilot profiles, and weapon profiles. Just move the files to the right location that you specified in that file and everything should return to normal.
StarWraith 3D Games
MasterMindLess
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Custom Ship Problems

Post by MasterMindLess »

ah... OK... I'll see if that works...
StarWolves Clan
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Custom Ship Problems

Post by Vice »

Ok, the update for AC is ready for download that fixes some issues with custom ships. If I get the needed time tomorrow, I'll announce it as an official update.
StarWraith 3D Games