Question about the Cruise Jump Drive

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
MarcusInVR
Ensign
Ensign

Question about the Cruise Jump Drive

Post by MarcusInVR »

First off, that thing is the item I will cherish forever in my loadout. This goes with me where ever I go. Or fly, rather.

I just want to confirm that I'm right... and that there isn't anything I have missed, equipment-wise. So - one puts in that thing. Enabling lets you cruise with a maximum speed of 78K it seems (unless affected by environment hazards or gravitational lenses). I do not believe this can go any faster. At least I couldn't find anything.

My main question is: are there modification options (I mean with equipment in-game) to "tune" the Cruise Drive to make it go faster?

The reason I am asking is: I am a big fan of that thing, but I also noticed that some Gates are far away from a station or other POIs. While it is most definitely possible to reach these far-out gates, it will still take some time (and I mean, in some cases, like, Hutton Orbital Pilgrimage time) to get there.

Of course, I could go and 1) either swap for Fulcrum in station or 2) hire engineers, skill them up, and have them swap the devices mid-space.

But it's much more fun to me (and more of a challenge) with the Cruise Drive. Hence my question.

So anything possible on that front? Or am I "stuck" at 78K (maybe for now) ?

Best

// EDIT -
If there is no possibility, maybe this could be a hint for a new item... Cruise Jump Drive Class 2 - a more expensive but also faster device than the original. Caveat: also uses more ship power to achieve higher speeds.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Question about the Cruise Jump Drive

Post by TraderDan »

In a recent update Vice made it possible to equip a fulcrum drive with a cruise drive simultaneously make sure you have version 2.0458. I love the cruise drive too, but Id like to be able to hold a constant cruise drive speed for prolonged flight so I could warp to another planet or system in real time for more immersion without having to power down and recharge over and over - I know you have to work around a playable game mechanic so maybe you could only hold constant cruise drive at the lowest cruise velocities before energy consumption ramped up.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question about the Cruise Jump Drive

Post by Vice »

As TradeDan points out, you can install both drives simultaneously, then activate either one depending on need. 78K is the maximum speed and will likely remain so for a variety of technical reasons (as well as a fixed fundamental game rule). You can extend its range (charge packs) and/or adjust its speed to lower settings, if desired.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations