HUL and WPN indicators

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

HUL and WPN indicators

Post by TraderDan »

I recently installed the newest official update 2.0458 and noticed the HUL and WPN green and blue energy bars no longer show up (I haven't modified them - just the overlay).

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: HUL and WPN indicators

Post by Vice »

As far as I recall, those systems haven't been changed with the update. What happens when you remove the mod completely? If that restores things back to normal, then see what happens when you import just the modifications for that specific display.

Additionally, are you using custom 'hud3.png' and 'hud4.png' images? If so, what do those look like?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

No custom hud3.png or hud4.png but I thought about using one to see if that fixes it, never had any issues with it showing up before.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yeah, I can't think of why they would suddenly not show up. That's one section of code that hasn't changed in years. If you discover that adding just the custom files for that status display causes the bars to disappear, I'd like to get a copy of those files to test myself locally to try and determine what may be happening.
StarWraith 3D Games
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Here's the overlay that I'm using for that screen:

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Working fine here. Any other files for placement or textures on that display? If not, then the only other possible cause I can think of might be lost textures. Those are fairly 'early' textures, so if the system is now running out of video memory due to reaching a certain point of higher resolution textures being imported, they may be getting lost. But that would likely manifest in some other symptoms as well. So I'm not yet sure what it might be.

If you want to zip the entire \hud folder you're using and post it to a file hosting site, I can try the entire file set.
StarWraith 3D Games
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Ok sounds good
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

I did recently upscale and started modifying the interior texture but that shouldn't affect the HUD indicators... Weird
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Ok here's the hud folder i'm currently working with - I just added a hud3.png and hud4.png but I haven't tested them yet myself so you might remove them to recreate the same setup I have. I was going to test with and without them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Foj24T ... sp=sharing
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

All working well, both with and without the custom hud3/4 images. I'd recommend the default hud3/4 images as they appear a little more legible within the tight confines of the indicator bars on the display.

So I guess the next step would be to determine if the video memory limits might be getting reached. If you open task manager, then route to Performance tab > GPU. Note the 'Dedicated GPU memory usage' line. Then start the game and observe how much of that memory is getting used up. If it is reaching near the limit of what is available with your GPU, it may be related.
StarWraith 3D Games
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Ok I'll check that out tonight - (I can't fathom what would be bottlenecking my integrated Intel gpu- *sarc*)

Also windows 10 was nagging me for yet another update after having just updated the day before - and while it may seem conspiratorial the PC has terrible performance and does strange things becoming more unstable until it crashes or you cave and reboot and agree to the update. And it forced another one on me last night and I haven't tested since either.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

During last night's testing they magically came back - I don't know how, but I somehow think this was a windows 10 related issue
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Glad to hear they returned. Perhaps it is something related to Windows 10 updates. Such updates had apparently been breaking some things in a variety of games with related Nvidia driver updates (that and GeForce Experience doing the same thing). Hadn't heard of issues on the Intel side of things though. Strange behavior for sure.

I'll move this over to the general Evochron forum shortly...
StarWraith 3D Games