Still alive :-)

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Still alive :-)

Post by TraderDan »

Sorry I've been lax on mod updates but I haven't forgotten about you guys.

My wife and I have been helping take care of my father after my step mother passed last year. He's been having mild cognitive decline in recent years but it's accelerated rapidly since her passing to the point where police, fire and adult protective services had to get involved. Anyway I feel like were getting closer to a resolution and we can finally do a deep clean on his house and take care of the growing list of repairs.

I know this is a forum for evochron stuff not family drama but I felt I owed an explanation. I'm looking forward to getting back to my evochron projects once we get caught up here at the house so I really appreciate everyone's patience and understanding.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Still alive :-)

Post by Marvin »

One of Evochron's veteran players is now busy working the phones at Great Call. Just sayin'.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

What is "Great Call"
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Mostly it's an emergency response company. When nobody is home when you need somebody, you press a button. Unlike 911, the "responder" already has your vitals available and knows where you are and pretty much what to do.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Oh I see, he has something like that already but my gf and I are pretty much on call 24/7 we sleep in shifts to monitor him and there is always one of us on the premises.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Sounds like it might be a good idea to have Evochron installed on a computer at his house.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Oh it is, it's on the laptop but it seems to trigger him anytime I'm sitting or taking a break though he watches TV himself about 95% of the time so I try to always be doing something as much as possible (and there is a lot to do because the state of the house was / is atrocious) I have to sneak off in secret when everyone is asleep to work on my EL projects)

Good news is I think the drama for his latest run of behavioral episodes has subsided and I finally got some more work done on the emissive layer to one of the ships I'm trying to finish up.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Well the family and I now have a better idea of what's going on with my father - and you wouldn't believe it. He's suffering from what should or was, a long forgotten and nearly eradicated disease. GPI or General Paresis of the Insane, it's a form of dementia that occurs after decades of untreated syphilis. His girlfriend of the past 25 years died last year from colon cancer and I was tasked with 'end of life' care and taking care of my father afterwards who was already having mild cognitive decline.
Upon going through her things the last few months and with Dads increasingly unruly, bizarre, vicious and violent rages I discovered that she had been infected and treated for syphilis many times over the course of the relationship, and had also been unfaithful to a great extent.
Once confronted my father acknowledged he never used any sort of protection, screened for STD's nor had she confided in him of any maladies. But even with having been presented with all of this information still refuses to see a doctor and seek treatment, he's also refused to take any of his blood pressure or diabetic medicine, the rages have prompted police to be called several times a week by the neighbors who have now also been informed - unfortunately according to the officers even in his state, they cannot force him to go to the doctor as it's his 'Constitutional Right' as per some law changes that were made in wake of the BLM riots of 2020. So it seems it's 'end of life' care for him as well, the good news is the rages have for the moment subsided since we ceased trying to get him to a doctor and just accepted that he is as 'fit as an ox' though his physical symptoms (fine motor control, ataxia and speech) continue to worsen.
Anyway pretty heavy stuff for a website about a space simulation game, but Evochron modding and community has really been an escape for me and as long as things are calm I can continue nibbling away at it in my spare time. Thanks again.