modding HUD velocity path (hud-motion.png)

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
PerKhan
Ensign
Ensign

modding HUD velocity path (hud-motion.png)

Post by PerKhan »

Hello everyone

There are 4 velocity markers on HUD in "X" arrangement in hud display which simulates movement of your ship in space.
Those markers are running all over cockpit graphics models and main displays when flying in space which is kinda frustrating (well for me at least) so i play with blank image imported in "hud-motion.png" which removes velocity path markers (actually markers are still there but invisible i suppose), so my question is:

Is there a way to display velocity path markers BEHIND cockpit graphics model and main displays?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: modding HUD velocity path (hud-motion.png)

Post by Vice »

Not currently as they are a HUD overlay rendered on the pilot's helmet visor, so they will appear on top of anything else like other HUD elements. If the depth was not set this way, then the indicators would still clip and enter the cockpit when their then physical distance became less than the cockpit's structures at certain angles, which would likely look much stranger. But they can be removed via the blank image as described. A few new options are planned for the next update which will allow for either a 'streaking' star type look for the overlay or turning them off entirely within the Options > 3D Cockpit menu.

Edit: Update 2.0448 is available for download so you can try out the new indictor modes to see if prefer one of those or select the 'None' option to disable the indicators entirely from within the game.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
PerKhan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by PerKhan »

It would be nice if there is an option for velocity indicators to stay leveled with cockpit/visor with just two upper indicators instead of four. That way thay would not clip on the main displays and would still be visible on the upper part of hud below upper menu.

Maybe you can add option in txt file or otherwise.

Just a thought.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

I know that maybe it's not exactly "realistic" but a subtle particle effect outside the ship in the vector of travel that had a loop cycle determined by sub luminal speed might be more visually appealing. When I was younger I remember playing Colony Wars on the original PlayStation and it used a similar technique which gave a subtle sensation of speed even in the vastness of space.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

PerKhan wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:23 am It would be nice if there is an option for velocity indicators to stay leveled with cockpit/visor with just two upper indicators instead of four. That way thay would not clip on the main displays and would still be visible on the upper part of hud below upper menu.

Maybe you can add option in txt file or otherwise.

Just a thought.
Indeed, since the tunnel also visually indicates roll + direction + speed, as soon as you roll about 45+ degrees, it would still enter the cockpit once it reached clipping distance. But another option is you can remove the cockpit structure as a factor entirely, leaving it with just the HUD, then there's no factor of helmet visor projection distance or clipping involved.

I can likely add the ability to change depth, number of rows, and direction locking within the text file options. Some settings might produce some unwanted results, but as a text file option, it can be applied for those interested in accepting such potential compromises. If you'd like to try out a build with such options, send me an e-mail in a week or two and I'll check into it.

@TraderDan - The new 'Spears' motion indication mode in 2.0448 provides such a particle effect (kind of a streaking stars look).
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Most space games use some kind of particle effect to give the player the feeling of motion. Just the opposite of how it really works, as accurately described in George Pal's Destination Moon. Check the 49:50 mark:
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Ah ha @vice I thought you were cooking something up, I just upgraded to 2.0448 but I haven't tried some of the new features yet.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Here are some notes on the new options I have in the works for the motion indication system:

- Adding new lines to 'hudmotion.txt' file to support custom direction, depth, and row settings.

New 'HUDMotion.txt' Lines
Three new lines added to the 'hudmotion.txt' file option. Line 5 supports locking the tunnel to the direction of the ship's forward HUD and/or rotating it 90 degrees. Line 6 supports disabling depth sorting for the tunnel or spears mode. And line 7 supports changing the number of rows for the tunnel mode.

Planned details for adding to the customizing kit (lines 5-7 will be new):

1st value sets the movement indicator mode (0 = tunnel, 1 = spears, 2 = none)
2nd value sets the spear indicator movement rate (default 0.5)
3rd value sets the spacing maximum for all spears (default 1.0)
4th value sets the scaling for motion indicators (default 1.0)
5th value sets the lock direction mode (0 = no lock, 1 = lock direction, 2 = rotate 45 degrees, 3 = rotate 45 degrees and lock direction)
6th value sets the depth mode (0 = no depth, 1 = depth relative to scene structures and scaling)
7th value sets the spears rows mode (0 = 4 rows, 1 = 3 rows, 2 = 2 rows)

And again, if you'd like to try out such options in a test build, contact me via e-mail.
StarWraith 3D Games