Arvoch conflict Windows 11

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Arvoch conflict Windows 11

Post by Jeremy »

Hey there, long time no see! Any ideas about why Arvoch Conflict has a hard time running on Windows 11? It randomly either will start just fine or crash constantly with no apparent cause.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Arvoch conflict Windows 11

Post by Vice »

Could be dependency issues of some kind and/or other Windows changes over the years. Difficult to say for sure as that game was written for Windows XP nearly 20 years ago and a lot has changed since then. Some clues might be available in the Windows event log. It may require a much older version of Windows to be able to launch.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jeremy »

Good call, looks like ntdll.dll is throwing the exception. It's just weird, the first time it actually runs no problem and then after that it crashes before it even starts. -_-
And of course, compatibility mode is useless. Microsoft is the worst :|
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

There have been so many changes, including deprecation of retained mode and DirectPlay and much more, that'd it'd be surprising if it was able to launch under a modern Windows environment. The now very old DirectX display setup is probably one of the biggest obstacles. So it'd probably best for a retro gaming setup running an older version of Windows. Otherwise, AA-SE would be the best route for more modern systems.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jeremy »

I know, and I feel bad because AA-SE is fantastic, the nostalgia factor for Arvoch conflict just keeps bringing me back. :( I was a teenager the first time I played it.