Adding custom hull hit and nav display power flicker sound effects

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Adding custom hull hit and nav display power flicker sound effects

Post by TraderDan »

Practicing some combat I've noticed at close range with other capital ships it seems that if your shields get beaten down or there's a collision (I suspect due to flak canon fire) there is a medium impact sound followed by the graphical displays on the ship flickering on and off to simulate a power outage. I'd like to add the following sound effect linked below but I'm not sure what it needs to be named, is it the flak explosion, a hull hit or something else?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jcDaDm ... sp=sharing
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Adding custom hull hit and nav display power flicker sound effects

Post by Vice »

There a few levels of damage effects, which I'll go over below. One factor to consider is that if a replacement file that long is added, it may produce a kind of 'echo' effect when it is played repeatedly if/when the player is hit repeatedly. But you can try it at one of the stages below to see if you like the effect at one point or another. Also, the initial shield and hull impact sounds are shared among all ship impacts, so they can play when other outside ships are hit, albeit quietly and directionally due to distance.

- Initial weapon impact generally plays the shield impact sound effect (s4.wav) and renders visual shield impact effect.

- Once shields are depleted, direct hull impacts occur and play a separate sound (s4b.wav) and sparks/flickering can occur.

- For flak cannons, that is a dedicated sound effect (flak.wav) which could include such a sound.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Adding custom hull hit and nav display power flicker sound effects

Post by TraderDan »

Thanks Vice, if I get a chance I'll play around with it tonight