Ideas about warping mechanics

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Ideas about warping mechanics

Post by TraderDan »

Loving the new update, still saving up for a rail gun and a cruise drive.
After reading the notes I noticed that the cruise drive allows sub light, semi controllable warps in system which is a feature I really enjoyed with games like Rebel Galaxy and Klingon Academy etc. Watching planets and moons rush towards you at high speed while trying to escape a Vonari fleet is perhaps not as practical as the Fulcrum drive but I think it adds a bit of fun to an already excellent game. Then I thought, why take sides in the Cruise Drive / Fulcrum drive debate? Why not have the best of both worlds?

Currently the Fulcrum drive and the Cruise drive can't be equipped at once and if you have an engineer in your crew of a high enough skill level you can swap drives on the fly. While that does add a bit of extra depth to the game in some respects... does it make the game more fun and engaging?

Ok here's my pitch (and I'm in no means harping on Vice's work, Evochron is already a masterpiece as is but here goes...)

There are several types of Fulcrum drives available lets say drive 1,2,3 and Mantis (I don't remember exactly how they were arranged) in this example lets say drive 1 can move two sectors, drive 2 can go 4 sectors, 3 can go 8 and Mantis can go 10 sectors, why not have a cruise drive feature present with every Fulcrum drive? Say maximum speed with thrusters is 10k with IDS off, and sublight cruise speed maximum is 100k....

Drive 1 = 2 Sectors AND 20% of 100k with an alt sub light warp speed of 20k?
Drive 2 = 4 Sectors for 40k sub light warp
Drive 3 = 8 Sectors for 80k
Mantis = 10 Sectors and 100% of sub light at 100k

You could then have a +/ - for thruster control and a 'punch it' button for sub light warp in an emergency (even trim sub light warp as a percentage of that drives capacity?)

What do you guys think? Would it be an improvement, and is it something that could be reasonably added with minimal effort and keep the game stable or am I just crazy? :o
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ideas about warping mechanics

Post by Marvin »

Are you saying that the cruise drive should be rated relative to your jump drive?

Btw, if your jump drive is disabled for any lengthy period of time, can you swap it out, replacing it with a cruise drive, in order to escape eminent doom?
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Yes exactly.

I haven't acquired one yet but according to Vice's release notes it can be swapped at a starbase or in deep space only if you have an engineer in your crew with a high skill level.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Yup. It gives Scotty something to do besides sitting around, playing the bagpipes.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

And drinking scotch ;-)
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Maybe having an engineer could boost engine output by say 10% over that engines sub light and thruster performance? Maybe add 1 sector to the fulcrum drive range over it's base statistics?
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Finally found a Cruise warp drive at Emerald station, I LOVE IT. Can I add a custom sound effect for using it, it's kinda the silent warp drive lol
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

0_0 I stand corrected IT DOES HAVE A SOUND EFFECT, I just didn't leave it running long enough, I may have had a nerdgasm. I'm never selling this thing, mantis drive is going in the cargo hold to collect dust hehee
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Cool, glad you like it. It can be a risky form of ultra high-speed travel, but also a lot of fun. :)
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Vice wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:01 pm It can be a risky form of ultra high-speed travel, but also a lot of fun. :)
More realistic though. Closer to what Asimov envisioned.