EvoChron Mobile. Setting up Controller buttons.

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Raptorrdude
Ensign
Ensign

EvoChron Mobile. Setting up Controller buttons.

Post by Raptorrdude »

So. I finally saw EvoChron Legacy-SE has dropped down to Mobile! (Props to Vipe! Woohoo! keep up the good work bud!)

But i wanted to get over the standard Touchscreen and use a X1 controller. (normal. Not pro.)
But i'm alittle weirded out by the controller layout system and how to get the throttle, turning, etc straighten out. Maybe someone can help a goober out to get the sticks to be for left top stick steering, right bottom stick strafing, and the D-pad for throttle/warp/brake-reverse and map layout, XYAB for fire lazer, Tractor beam, select target, etc. With the - and + buttons being for Nav and inventory options, etc.

So if someone could give me a layout or (Maybe a video be easier to copy the setup.). Would be epic!

Also i'm wondering how far similar will Evochron Mobile be to the PC version.

Thanks guys!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: EvoChron Mobile. Setting up Controller buttons.

Post by Vice »

You should be able to map controls as desired. Axis inputs just involve tapping on the button next to the responding indicator until it reads the control you want. Then optionally tap on 'Reverse' to flip the signal if needed.

Buttons are just a matter of tapping on a control, then tapping the button to map. Both inputs are similar to how the desktop game maps such controls. Someone with experience using controls on Android in the game may be able to offer specific advice.

Evochron Mobile is an experimental project to gauge interest/viability, functional feasibility (especially on a variety of mobile devices with their limited storage, memory, and graphics capabilities), and platform/OS stability and reliability over time. It is a sort of 'Lite' version of Evochron, designed with the limitations of a touch interface and mobile devices in mind. It has many similar exploration, trade, physics, combat, and environment capabilities found in the desktop game while removing media/storage/resource heavy elements such as building and various graphics/effects to accommodate the limited resources of mobile devices.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Raptorrdude
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Raptorrdude »

It seems as i try to remap everything i'm having some problems.

Firstly the D-pad seems to be mimicing as if it was a Left-Stick control system by default. So it's pitching up/down and moving left/right. Which i cannot turn off or reprogram it. If i try to put any mapping tools on the D-pad it still will turn/move while also doing the programmed functions.

Another thing i noticed. Is in Axis. When seting 'Throttle control or Rolling left/right' for any. You can only do 1. So say if i made the Triggers on the X1 controller as throttle control. I can only set 1 of the triggers to throttle, Which will only do Throttling UP (or set reverse) to throttle DOWN. Instead of programming both triggers as Throttle control for Throttle up (Left Trigger) or Throttle Down (Right trigger.) etc. Same goes for Rolling. I can only set it to Roll left/right on 1 trigger system. So it'll only roll 1 way.

Plus on the mapping keys. The roll left and roll right are backwards. So rolling left really rolls your ship to the right. And so forth.

Another key that cannot seem to program in the mapping program buttons. Is the small left button on the X1 controller just by the Left joystick and above the D-pad. Cannot seem to be seen on the click system. But the button on the right can. (Which i was gonna make the left button be the navgation button. And right for the inventory button.). Or maybe set it to the System/ESC menu. But the left cannot seem to detect.

Also i'm not sure why there are Axis 7 and 8. (Maybe something else for a more complexity controller with a 3rd axis function?)

So the options seem alittle mixed up. I'll make a video if you want for me to show you what's going on.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Raptorrdude wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:55 am It seems as i try to remap everything i'm having some problems.

Firstly the D-pad seems to be mimicing as if it was a Left-Stick control system by default. So it's pitching up/down and moving left/right. Which i cannot turn off or reprogram it. If i try to put any mapping tools on the D-pad it still will turn/move while also doing the programmed functions.
That sounds like perhaps more controller related in that it sounds like it must be returning -both- a button input signal and an axis input signal for whatever reason(s), considering you state you can't clear any redundant button/axis mappings. So unless both an axis and a button input are mapped to the same inputs on the D-Pad within the game, there may be something involving the controller itself that is returning dual signals. Out of interest, what is the axis input index the D-Pad is returning? And which matching stick axis is that related to (that is, which thumbstick on the controller is returning the same axis signal as the D-pad)? Also, what is the button index the same D-Pad directions are returning?
Another thing i noticed. Is in Axis. When seting 'Throttle control or Rolling left/right' for any. You can only do 1. So say if i made the Triggers on the X1 controller as throttle control. I can only set 1 of the triggers to throttle, Which will only do Throttling UP (or set reverse) to throttle DOWN. Instead of programming both triggers as Throttle control for Throttle up (Left Trigger) or Throttle Down (Right trigger.) etc. Same goes for Rolling. I can only set it to Roll left/right on 1 trigger system. So it'll only roll 1 way.
That is correct, the only axis input mechanism available is for full range bi-directional axis inputs, not limited mono-directional. So something that returns a full -1.0 to 1.0 range, rather than only 0 to 1.0. That said though, most controllers will also provide a button input on the triggers. So you may be able to map throttle up and down to the triggers using the button mapping options. Probably better that way anyway, so you don't have to try and hold a trigger axis to sustain a given set speed level (what axis inputs tend to be designed for). Likewise, if button signals are provided, you can map the triggers to roll left/right in the button menu (Page 3).
Plus on the mapping keys. The roll left and roll right are backwards. So rolling left really rolls your ship to the right. And so forth.
Indeed they are. Good catch. Fixed for the next update.
Another key that cannot seem to program in the mapping program buttons. Is the small left button on the X1 controller just by the Left joystick and above the D-pad. Cannot seem to be seen on the click system. But the button on the right can. (Which i was gonna make the left button be the navgation button. And right for the inventory button.). Or maybe set it to the System/ESC menu. But the left cannot seem to detect.
If you can determine what index that button may try to return, I can attempt to see if there's a way to include it. The game checks for indexes 1-40, which would generally cover more than the 32 at most that high end devices tend to offer. It's also possible that it is a special register that the game won't be able to pick up with its built-in control input system provided by the development platform. At least not on Android anyway.
Also i'm not sure why there are Axis 7 and 8. (Maybe something else for a more complexity controller with a 3rd axis function?)
Just for the control devices that offer them.
So the options seem alittle mixed up. I'll make a video if you want for me to show you what's going on.
Probably not need, your descriptions are good. Information on indexes and common inputs may help though.
StarWraith 3D Games
Raptorrdude
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Raptorrdude »

That sounds like perhaps more controller related in that it sounds like it must be returning -both- a button input signal and an axis input signal for whatever reason(s), considering you state you can't clear any redundant button/axis mappings. So unless both an axis and a button input are mapped to the same inputs on the D-Pad within the game, there may be something involving the controller itself that is returning dual signals. Out of interest, what is the axis input index the D-Pad is returning? And which matching stick axis is that related to (that is, which thumbstick on the controller is returning the same axis signal as the D-pad)? Also, what is the button index the same D-Pad directions are returning?
No i turned off all Mapping inputs off and even disabled the axis. The D-pad still responds as if it's a Pitch up/down and yaw right/left. And on Axis to see how the Deadzones bars are in the axis window where it has Axis 1-2-3-4-etc. The joysticks are sensed correctly. But the D-pad isn't so the D-pad isn't linked to the Axis input or the Mapping. Yet somehow it still responds as yaw and pitch inputs.
That is correct, the only axis input mechanism available is for full range bi-directional axis inputs, not limited mono-directional. So something that returns a full -1.0 to 1.0 range, rather than only 0 to 1.0. That said though, most controllers will also provide a button input on the triggers. So you may be able to map throttle up and down to the triggers using the button mapping options. Probably better that way anyway, so you don't have to try and hold a trigger axis to sustain a given set speed level (what axis inputs tend to be designed for). Likewise, if button signals are provided, you can map the triggers to roll left/right in the button menu (Page 3).
Aww ok so no trigger setting for Throttle and roll. So i can just use this for mapping input of the bumpers for roll and (if later the D-pad gets fixed use as throttle up/down on it's own.).

The triggers though cannot be mapped. They and the left circle button by the left joystick do not sense when trying to map. (But the right circle does map. Just not the left. Weird.)
Indeed they are. Good catch. Fixed for the next update.
Aww nice. So in next update i'll return them to their rightful spots.
If you can determine what index that button may try to return, I can attempt to see if there's a way to include it. The game checks for indexes 1-40, which would generally cover more than the 32 at most that high end devices tend to offer. It's also possible that it is a special register that the game won't be able to pick up with its built-in control input system provided by the development platform. At least not on Android anyway.

Yeah that i tried quite few times. And nothing responds. Just like the triggers in the mapping section. as mentioned above.
just for the control devices that offer them.

As i was thinking.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

No i turned off all Mapping inputs off and even disabled the axis. The D-pad still responds as if it's a Pitch up/down and yaw right/left. And on Axis to see how the Deadzones bars are in the axis window where it has Axis 1-2-3-4-etc. The joysticks are sensed correctly. But the D-pad isn't so the D-pad isn't linked to the Axis input or the Mapping. Yet somehow it still responds as yaw and pitch inputs.
By 'turned off all Mapping inputs', do you mean you cleared all of them one by one, or you disabled the 'Axis Device Flight Control' mode entirely (setting it to 'Off' by enabling any other flight control mode)? Depending on conditions and settings, perhaps the D-Pad is actually returning key values for input, rather than just button or axis inputs. If it is supplying the game with, say, an 'up arrow key' signal as well as any other signal, then the game will respond to that as though you pressed the up arrow key on a keyboard to change pitch. Likewise with other possible arrow key signals it might be sending. So it could still be dual input from the device, just spanning keys in addition to something else.
Aww nice. So in next update i'll return them to their rightful spots.
I've rolled out an update through Google Play, so it should show up by sometime tomorrow (Monday).
StarWraith 3D Games
Raptorrdude
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Raptorrdude »

By 'turned off all mapping inputs', do you mean you cleared all of them one by one, or you disabled the 'Axis Device Flight Control' mode entirely (setting it to 'Off' by enabling any other flight control mode)? Depending on conditions, perhaps the D-Pad is actually returning key values for input, rather than just button or axis inputs. If it is supplying the game with, say, an 'up arrow key' signal as well as any other signal, then the game will respond to that as though you pressed the up arrow key on a keyboard to pitch up. Likewise with other possible arrow key signals it might be sending. So it could still be dual input from the device, just spanning keys in addition to something else.
I just fixed it the D-pad. It seems it has Ghost mapping internally.

in the mapping functions. Yaw right is 15 (ghost mapped) and Yaw left is 13 (ghost mapped.) I programmed them to be Yaw right (13) and Yaw left (15) to counter them functioning. Now they don't turn on the D-pad. And the Pitch Up is 14 (Which i think it's ghost mapped at 16) and Pitch down is 16 (which i think is ghost mapped at 14). After this setup the pitch doesn't work anymore on the D-pad. So it's countering itself with the new mapping configure i done. Now i have throttle as 14 (Dpad up) and throttle down (Dpad down) and it works normally.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Interesting, glad you found a solution. Sounds like if they can either be cleared or counter-cancelled like that, I guess that works to then allow custom mapping internally with the game.
StarWraith 3D Games