[EL 2.0318] Text is blurred at 5760x1080 *FIXED 2.0328*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
vectieba
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 2.0318] Text is blurred at 5760x1080 *FIXED 2.0328*

Post by vectieba »

Hello

I am having a problem with stretched text making it blurry. When I set the display to 1920x1080 then it works fine but when setting to 5760x1080 then it stretches the text and makes it blurred. I have set the aspect ratio in the sw.cfg file to 4 and the height seems to be fine as well as the graphics. Below is a comparison image of the Training Options menu.

System Specs
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i9-10900, 32Gb Ram, Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080
3 x Acer ED320QR 32" Curved Displays
1920x1080.jpg
5760x1080.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL 2.0318] Text is blurred at 5760x1080

Post by Vice »

It looks like you may have FXAA turned on. If that is the result of manually setting parameters for that resolution, there may be some undesirable stretching of the render target that doesn't work very well with the FXAA algorithm. I would initially try the following:

- Turn off FXAA and see if the blurring goes away or is reduced. Alternatively, try the 'Low' AA setting and compare. If it doesn't work, you can switch back to the FXAA mode and continue with the next steps.

- If your display and monitor drivers are aware of the 5760X1080 as the desktop resolution, set the resolution mode to 'Optimized' instead of manually trying to set a value and gauge any changes.

- There should not be that kind of stretching when the resolution is ultra-wide, so either the FOV or the aspect ratio, or both, likely needs further adjustment to provide an aligned appearance in the middle while the field of view is simply expanded at the sides to accommodate the wider screen resolution. Also, you shouldn't need to try to manually edit the 'sw.cfg' file to change either value as slider bars are available in the Options > Resolution menu to provide options to change the values and observer the results visually while the game is running.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
vectieba
Ensign
Ensign

Post by vectieba »

Hi Vice

Thanks for the quick reply. Also, I am really enjoying the game, very well done!

Turning off FXAA or setting it to Low does not make any difference. When setting to High or Ultra then the game gives me an error message 'Failed to render to color image 99995 - image does not exist in main.agc at line 180642'

Nvidia surround is on and the default resolution on my desktop is 5760x1080. My Resolution is set to Optimized in game. When setting the FOV to anything other than 93, lower or higher, then the display gets huge. I tried numerous FOV settings anyway in combination with the Ratio and it does not make any difference to the text.

Something that I saw that is strange is that when opening the Training option it is blurry but when I click on the close button (X) in the top right it shows correctly until I release the button and it closes.

I am not sure if any of this helps but I am trying to give as much information as possible.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

High or Ultra AA probably won't work at that resolution as the render target likely exceeds what can be bound to the buffer. The scenario should be better handled though without the error, so I'll work on a check and bypass for the next update.

Interesting observation in the training menu. There is a layer swap there that is rendering the 2D text details outside of the 3D surface. It's actually a glitch, but does reveal that the problem is with what is happening between the 3D text surface and the output resolution. Not sure what that might be yet though. I'd be interested in some full screenshots at the 5760X1080 resolution if you'll send those to me via e-mail ( starwraith.com > contact ). That kind of stretching should be avoidable to provide a 1:1 standard scaling toward the middle of the screen where the text layer is using the aspect and FOV options. I may be able to offer some advice once I know just how far off the stretching is widening the text layer relative to the horizontal pixel resolution.

In the meantime, ironically, you can open the 'sw.cfg' file in a text editor and change the second to the last line to be 145. That will set the FOV to a level that should work with a 0.18 ratio 5760X1080 resolution. Then set the aspect ratio to default (right click on its slider bar in the Options menu). That should at least calibrate the central section of the display field to be 1:1 with the render target (there may be some clipping issues at the edges, just something to be aware of), then we may be able to tweak things from there.

Edit: I'll be working on some auto-detection and configuration systems to better accommodate a 0.1875 resolution like 5760X1080, which will be integrated into the next planned update. If things stay on track, it should be available in July.

Edit X2 (July 8th, 2022): Update is now available with the changes applied to better accommodate resolutions in the 0.1875-0.2815 range (ie 5760X1080/5120X1440).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations