Linux and Multiplayer

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Czar
Ensign
Ensign

Linux and Multiplayer

Post by Czar »

Hi all,

I was running Evochron Legacy on Linux Mint via Wine a few years ago and it worked flawlessly (even MP). I recently got back into the game and noticed there was an update, so I re-installed my game and now it will not run in Wine at all (black screen).

I've tried various Wine configurations but no dice. I decided to buy the game on Steam and it runs using Proton 4.11, but when I search for Public servers it says "Server error - Please check internet connection".

I also ran a private server and attempted to connect via IP but it still gave me a connection error.

Is anyone else running Linux that has this game working in MP? Also would be happy if you could share your Wine configuration because I'd like to not be dependent on Steam to play my games.

Thanks.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Linux and Multiplayer

Post by Vice »

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't have the Linux/Proton expertise to provide guidance on why that wouldn't be working. It would appear the translation operations within Proton are not able to properly handle the functions needed for the game's server list request (and perhaps multiplayer as a whole). So that aspect of the game may only work on Windows (which is the only OS it is designed for).

Others may be able to offer advice.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I ran a test for multiplayer through Steam/Proton (4.11.13) on Linux as just a test and multiplayer does seem to work correctly. The public server listing system does not work, so there appears to be something missing in Proton that is not allowing the game to retrieve the server list (a simple get request from a server). But direct IP works well. I tested running a client on Linux and connected to a Windows machine running the server program as well as another client and it worked well.

So if direct IP multiplayer is not working for you locally, there may be an issue with the network device you are using and/or some form of hardware/software firewall or other block in place preventing the connection. Or you may have tried to connect to the wrong LAN IP address for the connection/device you were testing with.
StarWraith 3D Games
Czar
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Czar »

Vice wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:33 pm I ran a test for multiplayer through Steam/Proton (4.11.13) on Linux as just a test and multiplayer does seem to work correctly. The public server listing system does not work, so there appears to be something missing in Proton that is not allowing the game to retrieve the server list (a simple get request from a server). But direct IP works well. I tested running a client on Linux and connected to a Windows machine running the server program as well as another client and it worked well.

So if direct IP multiplayer is not working for you locally, there may be an issue with the network device you are using and/or some form of hardware/software firewall or other block in place preventing the connection. Or you may have tried to connect to the wrong LAN IP address for the connection/device you were testing with.
Thank you so much for confirming that Vice. I know Linux is not officially supported, but I very much appreciate you taking the time to confirm Direct IP works on Linux for your game. Come to find out, I *did* input the incorrect LAN IP address - I'm now a happy camper and able to play your awesome game with family.

Thank you again!
Czar
Czar
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Czar »

Hi Vice,

Sorry to bug you - one more question. It seems my Logitech 3D Pro is detected in game but the axes do not work. A previous workaround was to put an empty text file named deviceinputold.txt into the directory folder to force enable the old control style.

It appears this does not work anymore after the latest game update/upgrade. Should the file be named something different?

Czar
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Excellent, glad you got it working and can now play it!

Edit for your second post: You no longer need a text file to enable a secondary control mode. Simply switch the 'Current Control Device Input Mode' to 'Limited' from the Axis Configuration menu. You may also need to select the device from the drop-down menu at the top before the game will be able to listen for input from it (click on the 'Current controller selected:' button at the top).
StarWraith 3D Games
Czar
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Czar »

Vice wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:56 pm Excellent, glad you got it working and can now play it!

Edit for your second post: You no longer need a text file to enable a secondary control mode. Simply switch the 'Current Control Device Input Mode' to 'Limited' from the Axis Configuration menu. You may also need to select the device from the drop-down menu at the top before the game will be able to listen for input from it (click on the 'Current controller selected:' button at the top).
That worked - thank you!
Czar
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Be advised, you need to have your joystick plugged in and selected before starting the game (this from experience). :P If, for some reason, your joystick isn't responding, check the connection. Then restart the game. ;)