Using the Shift key as a modifier?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Rangoon
Ensign
Ensign

Using the Shift key as a modifier?

Post by Rangoon »

I am trying out the mouse and keyboard with pedals, and so far it's okay despite not having analog throttle or thrusters. But I can't assign any shifted/modified buttons. The buttons menu mentions the use of ALT (such as in targeting commands) as a way to modify a button, but I cannot for example assign the use of Shift + E to augment forward shields. It just accepts the first key (Shift) as the only key. Is there a way to assign a modifier like this? Especially in VR and while maneuvering, it's pretty tough to let go of the mouse or move the left hand over to the numpad. I use ESDF to "move" so it would be great to press Shift + E to augment forward shields, Shift + R to shift power toward weapons, etc.

Thanks!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Using the Shift key as a modifier?

Post by Vice »

The game is more designed to spread out available control functions across a full layout keyboard, rather than multi-key combinations for reduced keyboards. Although as noted, there are several Alt-key combinations that can be used for multiple functions on individual keys. For keys/keyboards, shift is provided a dedicated index so that it can be used as a function by itself (by default, it enables/disables full range throttle mode). However, for buttons (for the device/controller mode and column in the menu), you can combine two inputs.

To do that, select the device you want to map two button combinations to, then click on the control function, then press and hold the first button, then press and release the second button. The control function will then require the two-button combination.

Edit: With the introduction of version 2.0328, you can now map two-key combinations to contol functions, including Alt and/or Shift keys as modifiers. The key/button conflict system has also been updated to better display common keys as well as interfering conflicts.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations