[EL 2.0278] ALT key mapping for controllers fails *INFO*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
CaptainTurgid
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 2.0278] ALT key mapping for controllers fails *INFO*

Post by CaptainTurgid »

I see that people have had problems mapping keys to the Warthog HOTAS due to the fact that EL doesn't appear to make it possible to map a button to a key that has an ALT key as a modifier. An attempt was made some years back to solve this by enabling the user to assign multiple buttons for a particular function, but that doesn't really solve the problem. And this doesn't seem to be peculiar just to those of us using the Warthog HOTAS, but any controller that needs to map to the EL functions associated with ALT keys.

For example, there is a function, "Form on Target (ALT for nav autopilot)", which is defaulted to "F" on the keyboard. This is deceptive because this isn't a single function that requires a mapping to a single button or a button combo. Instead, this is the need of assigning two separate buttons to two separate functions: a button to handle the Form on Target function, and another button for the Autopilot function. The mapping setup program should have split these two functions apart, but instead, combined them, expecting either an F or the ALT-F key codes. In essence, the F and ALT-F were hardcoded to those two functions making it impossible for the user (from what I see) to separately map them.

I am just getting into this game and one of its biggest selling points to me is the fact that it supports VR. I have enough controllers with all their buttons to be able to map everything from the keyboard that I need (I think), but until I can map these various ALT-related buttons, I am stuck having to remove my VR goggles repeatedly in the game just to hit the keyboard. I plan on using VoiceAttack for various other things where the controllers aren't practical, but even VoiceAttack can't handle this problem as far as I can see.

Please advise.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL 2.0278] ALT key mapping for controllers fails

Post by Vice »

Hello CaptainTurgid,

Alt options are not required, contrary to what you may have apparently read around the internet. The Alt keys are indeed used for some secondary control options, but those also have single key and button mapping options as well. So you are not limited to having to use such a two key combination. For example, the formation key of 'F' you referred to can be used in conjunction with Alt-F for autopilot as well, but you're not required or limited to that only. It's just one of the optional key combinations using Alt for those who want or need such an option (ie limited keyboard). But you can also map a single key and/or button option to Autopilot as a secondary control option on page 3 in the Key/Button Configuration menu (labelled 'Autopilot Secondary Control'). So you can take your pick and utilize the Alt option for a single key (say for a limited or alternate keyboard/button configuration) or use dedicated keys/buttons for both formation and autopilot separately. The same is true for other optional control functions such as Quick Saving, Padlock View, Cinematic View, and Lock Mining/Tractor Beam.

The Alt keys are also reserved for certain secondary options tied to particular press and hold or toggle operations as described (some of which have been requested in the past). So there are additional options that don't require using the Alt key for a secondary function.

You can also certainly set any button on a Warthog for use as an 'Alt' type key for two button combinations. Simply select a control you want to map in the Key/Button Configuration menu, then press and hold the button you want to use as the 'Alt' type key, then press and release the second button you want to utilize for the two-button control combination. Repeat as desired for any other two button combinations you want to apply for that same 'Alt' key button you first bind. However, if you have a controller (or multiple controllers) with sufficient buttons, you'll probably prefer to stick with single button bindings overall. But the option is still available for those who might want to utilize it.

So using any of the available options, you should be able to map controls to your devices without the need to remove your VR headset to hunt for two key combinations on the keyboard.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
CaptainTurgid
Ensign
Ensign

Re: [EL 2.0278] ALT key mapping for controllers fails

Post by CaptainTurgid »

I didn't even notice these "secondary functions" that you had set up where these ALT functions, such as the Form on Target (ALT for nav autopilot), were already split apart as I needed! I was able to map the Autopilot just fine using that feature of your setup screen.

Also, it does appear that I was incorrect about VoiceAttack, which probably would have handled the problem as well, but I prefer using the controller commands whenever possible, of course.

...all of which points to my third error, which is sending Tech Help messages like this when it is midnight and I am too tired to think straight!

BTW: I was reading somewhere that you are the one who wrote this game, and that you did it single-handedly! What is even more amazing is that the reviews of this game, and from what I see as I slug through the tutorials, indicate that this game is actually more fun to play than the other space games, which don't seem to have their acts together regarding extended playability. Even Star Citizen, for all the programmers and the hundreds of millions they have thrown at that project, and in spite of all the eye-candy, still don't have a finished product after all the years they have spent on it, and the end still isn't in sight! So, I really have to hand it to you!