Evocheon SE - Exploring Tip

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Evocheon SE - Exploring Tip

Post by WhiteFang »

Here is my tip while exploring.

Probably everyone worked this out quickly but I didn't. I only really started exploration proper the other day.

My tip is:
- don't ever use the small arrows in the NAV MAP or you will get RSI from holding down the mouse button (edit - not being critical, they are best for small adjustments but not a big number of sectors)
- instead zoom out to 33x and if you want to search to the right then left click to make a nav target to the far right of the nav map and then press centre. This means you have now traversed MANY sectors with 2 clicks.

That's all I have so far ;)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Evocheon SE - Exploring Tip

Post by Marvin »

Why only to the right? Also, keep in mind that not all objects show up on sectors of the navigation map you haven't visited.
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

I meant if you want to go to the right ;)

Ah, now I did not know that they don't all show up.

That is great, adds to the challenge and mystery.

Does that mean they will show up if i jump to the specific sectors?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Yup. Jumping to the sector will reveal even hidden planets. (Yes, there is at least one of those in gated space. I'm not sure if there are any out in the boondocks.)
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

Nice!

Thanks for the tip :)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Some of the quests also reveal a few interesting sites you might otherwise never run across.
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

Sounds great! I will start my quest journey today, thanks.

I will take notes as I go through it because I feel like making a quest or 2 myself.

Is there a guide how to do it?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I think Vice has a copy of a very long, comprehensive manual for scripting a quest. The manual only exists because he spent a lot of time answering a myriad of questions and making a few adjustment to the quest engine. It's kind'a old, though. It was written for the original version of Legacy and might not jive completely with the SE version. I have my own copy around here somewhere and can use it to answer any questions you might have (if I can find it).

As a side note, there's a couple cool things about the Legacy quest engine which didn't exist in engines of Vice's earlier games. One, branching. You can give your player options and script different outcomes depending his/her choice. Two, you can move the player to a different part of the "evoverse" without forcing the player to fly the the new location. That option might not sound like a big deal but it inhibited one guy from completing a scenario he was writing because, in his story, the pilot kept getting banged on the head or otherwise finding himself in an unfamiliar location.

One less-cool difference is that quests in Legacy are all single-player. Denny and I kind'a miss that. But, if you have a couple guys playing with you, and at least one of you has a good imagination, you can probably find some way to get around the SP restriction.
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

My part-time work is Office VBA and hobby is Android Java programming so if possible (fully working or not) I would like a manual and I can test things out on my own without being a nuisance.

I cannot do anything of a graphical nature even remotely, even using software ;)

Branching sounds great indeed, thanks for your help, Marvin :)

Btw I had fun with the first Quest which i completed in one go. Will do the rest also.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

The only software I created for a quest was a series of discs which fit inside alien transporter rings. Each one shows ... well, if I told you what they showed, that would be a spoiler. Anyway, I'll ask Vice about the manual today (and see if he has a copy you can download).
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Vice says he can email you a copy of the quest manual. You can either contact him via Starwraith or private message.
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

Thanks Marvin, Vice has just emailed it :)
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

Ok I just skim read it all.

You guys have both done a great job here.

I'm quite excited to do it. Really provides endless replay-ability.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Yup, you can do quite a bit with the quest engine. One thing to keep in mind (I think it's mentioned in the walkthru for the Murder quest): objects created for the quest (like, for example, wreckage) only appears when you enter the sector/quest stage and will vanish if you leave the sector without completing the stage -- but the waypoint will remain, allowing you to jump to where the object had been (and letting you finish the stage and move on to the next stage in the quest). You might run into this quirk if you decide to save and exit the game at a certain point, coming back later to an empty (except for the waypoint) sector.
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

Thanks a lot, Marvin. I have done a few tests and learned a bit already.

btw your quest is far out amazing....I will be playing it all the way through before any real scripting of my own.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Have fun. Btw, one of the quests sometimes hides the waypoint (deliberately). If you find yourself lost and no waypoint to point the way, there's a workaround which isn't really a cheat (not when you consider how many FPSs always point the way).
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

Thanks, I will ask if I get stuck :)