Setting up a Public Server on Private ISP

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Setting up a Public Server on Private ISP

Post by matchbox2022 »

Please forgive my ignorance, is there one somewhere to make this as painless as possible?
I'd like to open my idle computer to making another multiplayer server.
Other than putting the computer of the DMZ outside my router firewall, what else needs to be done to have it up and running and listed?
if the only way is to rent a server that might be out of the question. What are the system requirements for running a server? Hoping it's significantly less than playing ingame.
there's always been a lack of servers here and there, and it'd be nice to keep the game alive. In theory I'd be running an original version for a week and then switching to the SE version so that all those russian players with bad hardware can play some MP :P
Moreso looking if there's a guide somewhere as opposed to a wall of text answer.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Setting up a Public Server on Private ISP

Post by Marvin »

C:\sw3dg\EvochronLegacySE\Server\README

Hosting a Game or Connecting with Just an IP Address
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The instructions are the best resource. Also, I would not recommend using a DMZ or other broad open port configuration. Only open/forward the ports needed for the game on their own and only in the needed protocols (TCP/UDP). If trying to set up a public server program proves too difficult or time consuming for you, the two listed servers generally have plenty of available player slots for joining.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Thx guys!